Carfax, damage & accidents? Bargain or time bomb?

Crimson

Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
Well, I didn't know if price talk was ok, but here goes. My car 15 5.0 Ultimate 21K, mint condition. They were asking 29,750 for the car. I offered 28,500. I walked in pre-approved with financing in hand. They balked, I called another dealer to setup appointment about my second choice car as I was gonna walk. They quickly met me halfway (29) which is what I expected. But, I suspect they reclaimed that lost profit in Warranty negotiations, as they would not budge in that pricing one bit when I wanted to extend the warranty. The electronics warranty is only 3/30, and expired on my car, so to extend to 5/100 like the others, powertrain/other warranty, it cost me boocoo. Worth it I suspect because I've read the horror stories about having to replace Ulimate NAV/Radio stacks which run upwards of 4k. Glad I did, because when I got home, I noticed a turn signal DRL out. They fixed the following week, didn't cost a dime. Overall a good experience, but just getting started. But in researching this car for 2 years, it appears living daily on Autotrader, Jim Ellis Hyundai in Atlanta is the Genesis center of the Universe. They acquire and turn over more slightly used Genny's then anyone else in the US. At least, that's the way it looks to me. Fortunately, I live in the ATL area. Hope this helps.

sgrenald

Hasn't posted much yet...
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Thread starter #63
Well, I didn't know if price talk was ok, but here goes. My car 15 5.0 Ultimate 21K, mint condition. They were asking 29,750 for the car. I offered 28,500. I walked in pre-approved with financing in hand. They balked, I called another dealer to setup appointment about my second choice car as I was gonna walk. They quickly met me halfway (29) which is what I expected. But, I suspect they reclaimed that lost profit in Warranty negotiations, as they would not budge in that pricing one bit when I wanted to extend the warranty. The electronics warranty is only 3/30, and expired on my car, so to extend to 5/100 like the others, powertrain/other warranty, it cost me boocoo. Worth it I suspect because I've read the horror stories about having to replace Ulimate NAV/Radio stacks which run upwards of 4k. Glad I did, because when I got home, I noticed a turn signal DRL out. They fixed the following week, didn't cost a dime. Overall a good experience, but just getting started. But in researching this car for 2 years, it appears living daily on Autotrader, Jim Ellis Hyundai in Atlanta is the Genesis center of the Universe. They acquire and turn over more slightly used Genny's then anyone else in the US. At least, that's the way it looks to me. Fortunately, I live in the ATL area. Hope this helps.
Yep! I live in Savannah, and I've been searching the internet for the last couple of months, and if Jim Ellis isn't #1for preowned Genesis in the US, they're a close #2, and they're probably the biggest East of the Mississippi. My problem is that I don't want an Ultimate. And they ONLY sell Ultimates. I actually called them about a month ago to see if they ever got non-ultimates, and the response was some salesy nonsense like "We have so many ultimates because they're so hard to find"

I was down in Miami over Memorial weekend, and stopped off at Rick Case Hyundai (They had a "base" 5.0, which is optioned like a Tech Package 3.8) and they were asking $28k. But with "the usual stuff" like tax, title & registration (around $2300, I think) they also had the cost to CPO the car (around $1800) and a dealer overhead fee of around $700, the OTD price of $33,000. I said that was too much, and when they asked what I wanted to pay, I said $30k OTD plus $2k for the extended warranty, and we were off to the races. They wanted $2571 for the warranty, and I think the lowest price I got from them was $33,700. I told them I'd be in town until 1pm the next day before I had to drive home, and they called me at 4:30 to see if I'd "thought about it." The car's still on their lot. My local dealer is looking for one for me, but I'm guessing Ibiza Blue doesn't move that fast. So near the end of the month, I may call them and see if they'll take $29k OTD for the car, and I'll see what my dealer can do for the extended warranty...

rdascher

Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Update on my quest for a 2015 Genesis going through Jim Ellis in Atlanta - the Monticeto Blue with 20K miles was sold on Saturday so i was a day late and a few thousand dollars short as they DO NOT DEAL off of the internet price. They did have another similar color and equipped with 25K miles and they were a few hundred dollars cheaper but still wouldn't deal with me on the price - quoted internet plus tax tag & title thats it - so i backed away thinking if i am going to travel 350 miles for a car, i would like at least a free air freshener or something.

I did locate through Car Max a 2015 in White with Tan Leather and the Ultimate Pkg in Palm Beach, the local Car Max is bringing in to Jax for me to look at (no transfer fee)
It only has 10K miles and they want $28K +++ (they don't deal on price either)
Any thoughts on Car Max vs Dealer & getting the CPO ?

sgrenald

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Thread starter #65
Update on my quest for a 2015 Genesis going through Jim Ellis in Atlanta - the Monticeto Blue with 20K miles was sold on Saturday so i was a day late and a few thousand dollars short as they DO NOT DEAL off of the internet price. They did have another similar color and equipped with 25K miles and they were a few hundred dollars cheaper but still wouldn't deal with me on the price - quoted internet plus tax tag & title thats it - so i backed away thinking if i am going to travel 350 miles for a car, i would like at least a free air freshener or something.

I did locate through Car Max a 2015 in White with Tan Leather and the Ultimate Pkg in Palm Beach, the local Car Max is bringing in to Jax for me to look at (no transfer fee)
It only has 10K miles and they want $28K +++ (they don't deal on price either)
Any thoughts on Car Max vs Dealer & getting the CPO ?
You should be OK. A friend knows someone who worked in service at Carmax, and he said they're very thorough when they go over their cars before putting them on the lot. For whatever that's worth ("Friend of a friend" and all that). Last month I went to our local Carmax and asked about their extended warranty. I've heard very good things about it, and they quoted me $1500+ for a six year, 100k mile warranty on the tech package Genesis. It might be slightly higher on an Ultimate.

I just looked in Carmax and didn't see a white ultimate package anywhere in the US. I thought even if they were in transit they'd still show up on some store's inventory.

One other thing to check is the vehicle history report. The two Montecito blue Ultimates that Jim Ellis has both have clean reports (which doesn't mean that they ARE clean, but it's something). I've looked at the history reports for a few Carmax cars and they've had some repaired damage.

The other thing you can do is go to your local Hyundai dealer and tell them you're looking for a Montecito Blue Ultimate with low mileage. They can check the lease return website and can probably find you something in a few weeks, and it'll be CPO. All other things being equal, I'd rather have a 10k mile car than a 30k mile car, but for practical purposes, there's no difference. Maybe you won't have to replace the tires for an extra couple of years.

rdascher

Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
I just checked their website and it shows its not available - no price and not able to reserve - stock #16037374 and its in Davie not W Palm or at least it was :) - supposed to be in transit here to Jacksonville.

They are talking $3K for the extended warranty which does have a $50.00 deductible but can be performed anywhere, meaning dealership or a certified mechaninc

Ive been to 3 local dealerships and none were interested in selling me anything unless its in stock - It's why i started to look way outside the area and I have to give Jim Ellis credit, he has the inventory to back up his attitude

sgrenald

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Thread starter #68
I just checked their website and it shows its not available - no price and not able to reserve - stock #16037374 and its in Davie not W Palm or at least it was :) - supposed to be in transit here to Jacksonville.

They are talking $3K for the extended warranty which does have a $50.00 deductible but can be performed anywhere, meaning dealership or a certified mechaninc

Ive been to 3 local dealerships and none were interested in selling me anything unless its in stock - It's why i started to look way outside the area and I have to give Jim Ellis credit, he has the inventory to back up his attitude
For under $3k, you can get a genuine Hyundai warranty. I'd pass on that

sgrenald

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Thread starter #72
While I was down in Miami over Memorial Day weekend, the Kia dealer in Ft Lauderdale got an Ibiza Blue 5.0. My local Hyundai dealer here hasn't been able to find me a lease return, and the Kia dealer just dropped the price of theirs. I will most likely buy a one way plane ticket down on Friday morning, and drive the car back on Sunday.

Anything I should watch out for? Carfax looks OK, and while the car isn't CPO, it has a "nationwide"CPO-style warranty provided by the dealer, and they claim to do the same 150 point inspection. By hanging in Miami for the weekend, I figure I can see any obvious problems...

BlancaGenny

Been here awhile...
Called and asked what I’d need to do to have them hold the car for me until Saturday. Sales guy said they could sell it to me over the phone. I said no thanks, I want to see it first...
Good idea on your part. I may buy a new car over the phone but it's rare that I'll ever buy one. I like to save money. Let us know how it goes.

sgrenald

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Thread starter #76
Good idea on your part. I may buy a new car over the phone but it's rare that I'll ever buy one. I like to save money. Let us know how it goes.
If all goes well, I’ll have the car by early Saturday afternoon, and can spend a couple days driving around Miami. Any problems and I’ll take it back for repairs on Monday. If not, set the cruise control and do the 500 mile drive up I95

sgrenald

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Thread starter #79
If you don't mind my asking which Kia dealer are you purchasing the car from?
Guess you can't send messages, either. It's Rick Case Kia. Just down the street from their Hyundai dealer. This car showed up at the Kia dealer on Memorial Day weekend. Looks good on their website. They made a little phone video for me, walking around the car. They claim to put the car through a 150 point inspection, and they give it a 3rd party 10yr/100k mile warranty, so assuming it's not all BS, it's basically the same as CPO. It only had one key, and when I asked, they found a second one (and all-season floor mats). So we'll see how it goes. I haven't asked about the condition of the tires, but with only 25k miles on the car, they're probably the originals and are due for replacement soon. If I buy the car (alternative is to spend $200 on a plane ticket home) I'll probably drive up the street to the Hyundai dealer and try to buy the extended warranty right afterwards. Last time they quoted me $2571. Wonder what it will be this time?

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I haven't asked about the condition of the tires, but with only 25k miles on the car, they're probably the originals and are due for replacement soon.
Everyone's driving is different, but I changed mine at 33,000. Could have gone more, but I was heading out on a 4000 mile trip and did not need a tire problem along the way.
Hope the deal works out for you.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.