• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Cold air intake for 2015 5.0

Chad86tsi

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
Correct sir. Hence why I just replaced the OEM twin paper air filters for K&N performance air filters with a larger filter surface area. The OEM air boxes for the 5.0 is already a really good ram cold air set-up. The paper filters is the main restriction for the 5.0. The 3.8 has some sort of door in the intake that the 5.0 does not have which may restrict performance.

However, the 5.0 does have some sort of end cap boxes on the intake ducts that prevent water from entering the intake that could be removed for more air flow probably depending how restrictive they are, but at the risk of allowing water to enter the engine.

View attachment 17682
In this image, the parts at the actual fresh air intake end are in the upper portion of the front grille (part numbers 28213H and 28213A). The paths seemed restrictive to me. I removed both of the couplers at the core support, (part numbers 28223r and 28223L) so any ram air effect that the system has can still feed that fresh air into the intake system, but any time the system experiences vacuum (drawing more air than those inlets can support), it can draw air from outside that intake tract.

Imagine putting slightly pressurized air through a straw in your mouth. You can breathe all day just fine. Now try to breathe heavily through it, you create vacuum when the flow exceeds the capacity of those passages.

Now point the pressurized straw at your face, but not in your mouth (like removing the couplers). You still get that stream of outside air, but you can breathe in as much "other" outside air as as you want because you are no longer restricted to the narrow inlet under the grille in the stock system. It's like a bypass system.

This is super easy to do too, and fully reversible so it's worth trying if you want to see for yourself.

I noticed a slightly better throttle response from moderate to full throttle, and the full throttle engine sound increased about 5-10%.

I agree the stock box system is very good, pipes are plenty big and plenty of air filter area. I'm going to build a cold air duct from the bottom of the box down to a hole in the bottom of the front aero cover that I will cut to get real direct access to cold outside air.

carguy75

Registered Member
Atlanta, Georgia
Genesis Model Type
In this image, the parts at the actual fresh air intake end are in the upper portion of the front grille (part numbers 28213H and 28213A). The paths seemed restrictive to me. I removed both of the couplers at the core support, (part numbers 28223r and 28223L) so any ram air effect that the system has can still feed that fresh air into the intake system, but any time the system experiences vacuum (drawing more air than those inlets can support), it can draw air from outside that intake tract.

Imagine putting slightly pressurized air through a straw in your mouth. You can breathe all day just fine. Now try to breathe heavily through it, you create vacuum when the flow exceeds the capacity of those passages.

Now point the pressurized straw at your face, but not in your mouth (like removing the couplers). You still get that stream of outside air, but you can breathe in as much "other" outside air as as you want because you are no longer restricted to the narrow inlet under the grille in the stock system. It's like a bypass system.

This is super easy to do too, and fully reversible so it's worth trying if you want to see for yourself.

I noticed a slightly better throttle response from moderate to full throttle, and the full throttle engine sound increased about 5-10%.

I agree the stock box system is very good, pipes are plenty big and plenty of air filter area. I'm going to build a cold air duct from the bottom of the box down to a hole in the bottom of the front aero cover that I will cut to get real direct access to cold outside air.
How did you remove the couplers?

carguy75

Registered Member
Atlanta, Georgia
Genesis Model Type
There are screws (Part number 1244KE in the image) that hold each of them to the radiator core support. Remove those and the coupler comes right out.
Thanks. I will try to remove them today.

Note: I just checked and I really want to remove the box-like water shield units under the bumper cover. So when I decide to change my headlight HID bulbs for 5k bulbs (requires bumper cover removal) I will pull the restrictive airbox water shields. I do not want to just remove the couplers since I will pull in hot engine bay air into my air box.

Last edited: