Equus road-testing in US

STREETS

Registered Member
Connecticut
New Equus name? Exodus? The Bible chapeter following Genesis? lol

bjjones

Registered Member
It's coming here. Hyundai resently polled owners on HyundaiThinktank.com about wether there should be a name change for the US market. Most seem to prefer the name "Genesis Signature" to "Equus"...although not by a large margin.

Anyway, the car is comin..

Let me get this straight. Hyundai wants to sell a top of the line, high end luxury automobile in the US for over $50,000 but they can't even come up with a model name? Asking random people to determine or vote for a name via a website survey shows Hyundai has no idea whatsoever on how to market a luxury car. This is just another example of Hyundai's horrible marketing strategies.

I'm sorry, but as a potential buyer looking for a new luxury automobile, Hyundai's lack of marketing cohesion and common sense has left me cold. Therefore, I no longer have any interest in purchasing the Equus (or whatever the name might be) and will wait on the sidelines until Hyundai finally figures out how to showcase, promote and support it's luxury automobile lineup (if they ever do).

BocaDave

Been here awhile...
Boca Raton, FL
Relax, you don't have to buy the car if you don't like the name, but don't tie your dislike of the name, or the process they are going thru to arrive at one, with the quality of the vehicle.

Its a great car, and going to get better every year, as evolutionary improvements are added.

Remember, while names are important, Ford learned that maybe they had spent too much time on the name of the Edsel, and not enough time on whether the customers actually cared at all for the car, its design, appearance, or quality.

So, buy it or not, that's your call.:cool:

YEH

Registered Member
NYC/MD
Let me get this straight. Hyundai wants to sell a top of the line, high end luxury automobile in the US for over $50,000 but they can't even come up with a model name? Asking random people to determine or vote for a name via a website survey shows Hyundai has no idea whatsoever on how to market a luxury car. This is just another example of Hyundai's horrible marketing strategies.

I'm sorry, but as a potential buyer looking for a new luxury automobile, Hyundai's lack of marketing cohesion and common sense has left me cold. Therefore, I no longer have any interest in purchasing the Equus (or whatever the name might be) and will wait on the sidelines until Hyundai finally figures out how to showcase, promote and support it's luxury automobile lineup (if they ever do).

You're lack of any coherent thought/rationale has left many here cold.

And please, you were about as much of a potential buyer as a 12 yr old kid.

bjjones

Registered Member
You're lack of any coherent thought/rationale has left many here cold.

And please, you were about as much of a potential buyer as a 12 yr old kid.

LMAO! :D Are these actually the best thought provoking wisecracks that you could come up with? Of course these are the type of remarks I would expect from a immature juvenile trying to pose as an intellectual especially when you don't even understand how to use the word You're correctly in a sentence. It is certainly obvious that you are simply upset because I have lambasted you time and time again while thoroughly picking apart your incorrect statements and asinine arguments to show that you are clearly out of your league when attempting to debate me on issues or subjects matters you clearly know little about. I am sure it's quite obvious to most of the genesisowners members that your snide comments are nothing but personal attacks which have nothing to do with the topics at hand.

Last edited:

PINGGOLF

Been here awhile...
MODERATOR HAT: ON

BJJONES & YEH...that is ENOUGH!

Please do not attempt to settle your differences in the forum...do it with private messages.

MODERATOR HAT: OFF

Personally, if you plan on sitting on the sidelines over a name...than obviously your priorities are different than most...IMO.

If the Genesis were named FART...I would have bought it...simply because of what it is and what you get for your money.

Rich Genesis V8

Registered Member
New York City
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
MODERATOR HAT: ON

MODERATOR HAT: OFF

Personally, if you plan on sitting on the sidelines over a name...than obviously your priorities are different than most...IMO.

If the Genesis were named FART...I would have bought it...simply because of what it is and what you get for your money.

And how much would you be willing to pay for a 4,000 pound V-8 FART?

Sorry, couldn't resist.

jwaters943

Been here awhile...
Reno, NV
LMAO!!! That's great.

PINGGOLF

Been here awhile...
And how much would you be willing to pay for a 4,000 pound V-8 FART?

Sorry, couldn't resist.

:D:D:D

In all honesty...I would have paid more than I did!

This reminds me of the fart scene in Austin Powers...Goldmember...when the 4000 pound Fat Bastard "wafts" his own brand.

"I dont remember eating any corn!" (laughing histerically)

sandy

Registered Member
connecticut
:D:D:D

In all honesty...I would have paid more than I did!

This reminds me of the fart scene in Austin Powers...Goldmember...when the 4000 pound Fat Bastard "wafts" his own brand.

"I dont remember eating any corn!" (laughing histerically)

Almost as good as the bean eating around the campfire scene in Blazing Saddles.

YEH

Registered Member
NYC/MD
LMAO!Are these actually the best thought provoking wisecracks that you could come up with? Of course these are the type of remarks I would expect from a immature juvenile trying to pose as an intellectual especially when you don't even understand how to use the word You're correctly in a sentence. It is certainly obvious that you are simply upset because I have lambasted you time and time again while thoroughly picking apart your incorrect statements and asinine arguments to show that you are clearly out of your league when attempting to debate me on issues or subjects matters you clearly know little about. I am sure it's quite obvious to most of the genesisowners members that your snide comments are nothing but personal attacks which have nothing to do with the topics at hand.

Please!

How many times does it have to be restated that what Hyundai is doing actually quite prudent - improving the reputation of its mainstream brand and growing its marketshare in the US before properly launching a premium brand.

Sorry, but the US market was just not ready for a premium brand from Hyundai when the Genesis sedan was launched a year and half ago (it's the same reason why Nissan delayed Infiniti's launch in Europe and why Hyundai decided not to bring the Genesis to Europe).

Furthermore, there was no way a new dealer network could have been supported w/ sales of the Genesis sedan alone (when it was the only model available for over half a year).

A premium brand needs a volume seller and Hyundai does not have that yet (the Genesis coupe has thus been a flop and really isn't a luxury vehicle).

To help mitigate the cost of a new dealer network, the price of the Genesis sedan would have had to have been bumped up by $4-6k.

Any increase in sales that would have been brought by not carrying the Hyundai badge would have been lost by the subsequent price increase (how many people here would have bought a Genesis if they had to pay an extra $4k to $6k, even if it came w/ the winged badges already attached?).

Furthermore, Hyundai Motors has limited resources and at this juncture, it is more impt. for the success of the company to increase the sales of its mainstream lineup, particularly, the "bread and butter" Sonata, Elantra and Tuscon, not only in the US, but worldwide, esp. in the ever increasingly impt. markets of China and India.

Hyundai has grown its worldwide sales this past month by over 50% from that of January of 2009, and is now firmly planted as the no.2 brand in both China and India (the two fastest growing auto markets).

In addition, Hyundai has seen record sales in Europe, particularly in the UK where it had previously been struggling somewhat.

All this and more had already clearly been explained a no. of times previously, but yet time and time again, you seem not to be able to wrap your head around it - instead, just repeating ad nauseum the same stuff that is based on nothing more than a poor understanding of the auto industry/market.

Let me know when you have done consulting work for auto industry heavyweights (such as MBUSA) and have contacts w/ analysts who cover the auto industry.

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums
Protect your vehicle from code scanners