EZ Oil & Filter Change on 2015-2016 Models (DIY Access Panel/Covers)

Beeswax

2016 Hyundai Genesis DH 3.8 V6 RWD
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Chicago Illinois
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
If you don't change it, you've got that much more dirty oil still in the car! I go to my old shop to get my oil changed because they pay me rent. Still, I can't see what the guy down stairs is doing!

If you don't trust the guy under there, you must know better!.. since you were in this business lol

Kyser_Soze

Registered Member
Missoula, Montana
Genesis Model Type
If you don't trust the guy under there, you must know better!.. since you were in this business lol
I sold it in 1998, so only my managers are still working there. Just like any business, there are good employees and bad. When I owned it, I was watching a lot more than the current owner. Several times my employees said to me "How did you notice THAT?"

Beeswax

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Chicago Illinois
Genesis Model Type
I know exactly what you're saying! I was in the fast food business for years.

dfyffe

Hasn't posted much yet...
Altanta
Great write up.
Is there a direct fit replacement that will fit my 2015 3.8 RWD. I dont do the oil change myself. but every time I get my oil change from the Hyundai dealer, they always leave some of the retainer clips off although I remind the service person not to. Im planning on start using my friend to do oil change and the one with the openings would make life so easier. Where can I purchase a direct fit replacement with the openings for easy oil change?. Thanks.

Beeswax

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Chicago Illinois
Genesis Model Type
Thank you!
A member in here (Carguy75) has a great writeup on these complete panels..

cougarxr_1967

Genesis Model Type
I found your article informative and am considering doing it, but I used to own an oil change business and we had a fluid extractor mostly used for gear boxes. I used it a few times for over fills too. But 1 time a truck came in with a bad plug underneath that looked to be a problem if we removed it. So I extracted the oil through the dipstick tube. I know how much oil it takes for that type of engine and I know that pulling the plug underneath leaves 1/4 to 1/2 a quart in the oil pan because the nut welded in the bottom of the pan sticks up. The hose from the extractor was able to go to the bottom of the pan and get more oil out than draining! The suction device has a marked reservoir showing the amount removed and I know how much I put in when I refilled it and it was more than what that engine takes by 1/4 a quart. I was impressed! It does remove the oil slower than draining, so solids have more time to drift down, but you are also pulling from the bottom, so maybe you're getting more solids. I didn't switch to using that as a method of oil changes. Many vehicles don't have a straight shot to the bottom of the pan from the dip tube. But that 1 vehicle was an eye opening experience that took place in the early '90's.
Keyser Soze is RIGHT ON TARGET. I made my own "oil suction extractor" from an old vacuum pump, a Gallon glass bottle and a rubber stopper. There is now need to get under the car and I don't get dirty. More importantly ALL. the oil is removed by sucking thru the dipstick tube.
You can keep feeding hose when the pump starts sputtering and you find a hew position to get it ALL. You never get that with a drain thru the plug. I built this device for $10.
In regard to the oil filter I always remove it from above even on the two occasions I pulled the under body panels. Using a 7/8" socket with a shorter extension on a 3/8" socket wrench works like a charm. Yes some oil drips out of the hole in the panel, no problem put your drain pan there. Again, I dont get dirty or go under the car at all. As the author mentioned in his EXCELLENT write up he has 40 years at this. I have been doing oil changes for 50 years including those when my father first taught me at 11 years old and you are all working too hard. This is the easy way, particularly on the Genny. I have been doing this on mine since new.

Bradski

Nawhville, TN
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Thank you!
A member in here (Carguy75) has a great writeup on these complete panels..
I ordered the rear panel for my 2017 G80 using the info from Carguy75's (btw, thanks Carguy75). Cannot remember the name of the place, but it's some dealership up in Illinois. Price was a little over a couple hundred. Problem was, they emailed me back to say there was a pricing change on the shipping charge due to size of the panel. So much that I had to cancel the order.
I think I'll try your workaround. I'm just a little apprehensive about getting the cut outs in the right places. The front looks pretty easy to reference from your pics. The next time you're under there could you please post how far back from the front edge of the rear panel your leading edge cut is? Oh, and thanks for your post!

Last edited:

Bradski

Nawhville, TN
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
....More attachments
Here's my attempt at the same.
I ordered the same parts that you did. Thank you btw!

I mocked up off a piece of cardboard and measured in 1" because that's the depth of the clips.
I used the cut out as a template, marked the location of the cutout with chalk and used some packing tape to secure it in place on the inside of the UBP.
I used a 2.5" hole saw and a dremmel cut off bit to cut the opening in the UBP.
In hind sight, I might have cut the opening about an inch to the right, but I'm still pleased with the results. I ended up not using the silver washers seen in the last picture. They really weren't needed. And I did not fill the holes left when I cut off the nibs on the hatch.
Also, I replaced all the bumper clips that have probably been missing since the first oil change.
I've got a lid from an old plastic storage box and I'm planning the same thing using the same clips for a hatch to the oil drain. I'll post pictures if that works out.

Attachments

• IMG_20210403_121515.jpg
    IMG_20210403_121515.jpg
    202.4 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20210403_121515.jpg
    IMG_20210403_121515.jpg
    202.4 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20210418_135845.jpg
    IMG_20210418_135845.jpg
    199 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20210418_141951.jpg
    IMG_20210418_141951.jpg
    315.9 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20210418_142609.jpg
    IMG_20210418_142609.jpg
    295.5 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20210501_155510.jpg
    IMG_20210501_155510.jpg
    366.9 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20210501_161025.jpg
    IMG_20210501_161025.jpg
    364.4 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20210418_131909.jpg
    IMG_20210418_131909.jpg
    231.6 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

Beeswax

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Chicago Illinois
Genesis Model Type
Keyser Soze is RIGHT ON TARGET. I made my own "oil suction extractor" from an old vacuum pump, a Gallon glass bottle and a rubber stopper. There is now need to get under the car and I don't get dirty. More importantly ALL. the oil is removed by sucking thru the dipstick tube.
You can keep feeding hose when the pump starts sputtering and you find a hew position to get it ALL. You never get that with a drain thru the plug. I built this device for $10.
In regard to the oil filter I always remove it from above even on the two occasions I pulled the under body panels. Using a 7/8" socket with a shorter extension on a 3/8" socket wrench works like a charm. Yes some oil drips out of the hole in the panel, no problem put your drain pan there. Again, I dont get dirty or go under the car at all. As the author mentioned in his EXCELLENT write up he has 40 years at this. I have been doing oil changes for 50 years including those when my father first taught me at 11 years old and you are all working too hard. This is the easy way, particularly on the Genny. I have been doing this on mine since new.
Good for you! That makes us both happy! You stick with your way and I stick with mine!! Maybe do a separate thread the way you prefer and let others decide what suits them best.

djohnk

Hasn't posted much yet...
Oklahoma
I noticed you can reach the oil filter from the top and there's room for a pan below the filter to catch any oil. I presently use the setup below to change the oil with an extractor through the dipstick. I purchased the oil extractor from harbor freight, but I had to pump it about 1000 times (not exaggerating) on my first oil change. I subsequently modified it with a venturi vacuum pump, also from harbor freight. It sure makes life easier on my oil changes, I don't even have to get the jack out or get on the ground now. If you go this route make sure to get the engine full temp before extracting to lower the engine oil viscosity.

1623337109958.png

carguy75

Registered Member
Atlanta, Georgia
Genesis Model Type
I noticed you can reach the oil filter from the top and there's room for a pan below the filter to catch any oil. I presently use the setup below to change the oil with an extractor through the dipstick. I purchased the oil extractor from harbor freight, but I had to pump it about 1000 times (not exaggerating) on my first oil change. I subsequently modified it with a venturi vacuum pump, also from harbor freight. It sure makes life easier on my oil changes, I don't even have to get the jack out or get on the ground now. If you go this route make sure to get the engine full temp before extracting to lower the engine oil viscosity.

View attachment 37070
You can reach the oil filter from the engine bay going from the top? Do you have the V6 or V8 engine?

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums
Protect your vehicle from code scanners