Genesis brand disappoints

Corpnupe85

Hasn't posted much yet...
Smyrna, GA
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
How, exactly is this an odd reply? The OP was talking about reading many posts about the unprofessionalism of the Genesis brand and dealer and related his own issues with a Hyundai dealership and a rude, unprofessional person at corporate. However, he bought a Hyundai Genesis - not a Genesis G90, G90 etc., where there was some promise of a better brand experience and service (like concierge/valet service/loaners, etc.,) than one would expect from a Hyundai branded vehicle. He went on to say "If the Genesis brand had the same outstanding customer service as Lexus, the G80/G90 would be the best selling vehicle in the model categories". I was merely pointing out that he should not base his opinion of the Genesis Brand on his experience with his Hyundai Genesis at a Hyundai dealer or have expectations of a Genesis Brand experience in his situation - that's all!

Of course, whether or not Genesis as a Brand is living up to it's promises is a valid but completely separate issue.
[/QUOTE]
Thank you. I have never had any major issues with the vehicle. In three HYUNDAI Genesis Vehicles, I have had issues with the tires flatsplotting (s/p). On the 2012 and 2015 (1st Vehicle), the tires were replaced. Those vehicles were new. The current vehicle, the dealer wanted me to purchase new tires for the 2015 HYUNDAI Genesis Certified vehicle because of the flatsplotting issue. I called Hyundai corporate. They told me to speak with the dealership. After, I posted a negative review of the dealer, they are going to take the tires off of another Genesis and place on the vehicle when another one comes in. On all three vehicles, I had to contact Hyundai Corporate. The corporate office was not very friendly with me. This is the last time, I will deal with an issue like this. I wish all of you with HYUNDAI Genesis’ Vehicles future success. Thanks.

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
I'm debating on whether to buy the Genesis with the options/colors I want from CarMax, or wait for my local Hyundai dealer to get a CPO in...
It is the dealer's decision whether to make a used car a CPO. They can do that by paying Hyundai Motor America a fee of about $1000 to cover the restoration of the 10 year - 100K mile powertrain warranty, normally only for initial owners. But you are correct that only a Hyundai dealer can do that. If you see a used car on the Hyundai lot, and it is not a CPO, ask the salesman about it (but expect to pay a little more).

Or you can get a non-CPO, and get the extended warranty that covers everything 10 years - 100K miles.

sgrenald

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Savannah
Genesis Model Type
It is the dealer's decision whether to make a used car a CPO. They can do that by paying Hyundai Motor America a fee of about $1000 to cover the restoration of the 10 year - 100K mile powertrain warranty, normally only for initial owners. But you are correct that only a Hyundai dealer can do that. If you see a used car on the Hyundai lot, and it is not a CPO, ask the salesman about it (but expect to pay a little more).

Or you can get a non-CPO, and get the extended warranty that covers everything 10 years - 100K miles.
My dealer says it's about $500 to CPO a car, but I'd plan on getting an extended warranty anyway. Carmax is about $1500 for a 100k mile/6 year warranty. I think the Hyundai warranty costs a bit more than that. I've heard that Carmax is pretty reputable, although their cars sell for about the asking price from the dealers, so I'd expect to pay less after negotiating. I guess the real thing you're getting with a CPO is peace of mind that a knowledgable mechanic has gone over the car (or at least, they TELL you one has) before you buy it.

YEH

Registered Member
NYC/MD
^ CPO certification is only as good as the dealership; some do a good job w/ inspecting and fixing any issues - others barely look it over.

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
I guess the real thing you're getting with a CPO is peace of mind that a knowledgable mechanic has gone over the car (or at least, they TELL you one has) before you buy it.
I would not count on that being the case, based on the many posts on this forum from people who have purchased CPO's from Hyundai dealers. But they will almost always fix something you find wrong shortly after purchase. But you may have to find the problems yourself.

So the real thing you get with a CPO is restoration of the 100K mile - 10 year powertrain warranty.

joneillnj

Sounds like your dealer (wherever you live and whatever you drive) is on a higher plane that the rest of us. In the USA, anyway, we all deal with Hyundai dealers servicing our vehicles. Same with you, if you live in the USA. Come down to reality. You are in the same boat with the rest of us.
Where I live and what I drive (not a Genesis at present - but here because I'm interested in the G70) is not really relevant to the discussion at hand. But yes, my dealer/brand is definitely on a higher plane than Hyundai is (or Genesis is today). We do also have 1 Hyundai in our household (daughter's car) and I have found the Hyundai dealers in NJ to be pretty spotty - none of them, even the ones selling Genesis, have an upscale feel (staff and facilities) vesus the local Luxury brands (Audi, BMW, MB, etc.,). Not that any of those brands are perfect either - but the gap is very large. In essence, you would still feel like you are dealing with an expensive car from a bargain brand at the Hyundai/Genesis dealers in my area = likely not what most luxury buyers are looking to deal with.

However, the issue discussed in this thread is the Genesis Brand Experience - which is not the "boat that you are in" getting your Hyundai Genesis serviced at a Hyundai dealer - also not the boat that the OP was in for the same reason. Genesis as a brand is clearly is aiming higher in terms of the overall customer experience at this point - otherwise, they would have left these as cars as Hyundai models sold and serviced via Hyundai dealers just like any other Hyundai model. They didn't and are clearly trying to separate the Genesis brand as fully standalone. I'm sorry if that makes you feel like you've been left out with your G1 Genesis model as appears to be the case.

By the way, the OP has yet to explain to us just what problems he is having. However, that hasn't prevented you from telling us that you know exactly what his problems are and how to fix them.
Once again you make cr_p up - please do show me where I told the OP what his problem was and how to fix it. So one more time (read slowly so you might better comprehend this time): I merely told him that, as he does not own a Gwnesis branded vehicle, that he should not base his opinion of the Genesis Brand on his experience with his Hyundai Genesis at a Hyundai dealer or have expectations of a Genesis Brand experience in his situation - why is that so hard for you to get?

PMCErnie

Registered Member
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
I figured that joneillnj was just here to pontificate. Not an owner and shows a certain vapidness about everything Hyundai/Genesis. All he/she has done here is to denigrate most current Genesis owners. The real stinger is his/her total lack of awareness about who actually services Genesis vehicles. Genesis is company in transition. We all ride the horse of change.

Thanks to Cornupe85 for finally explaining his/her problems. Tire flatspotting. Three different vehicles. Hmmmm. I've had two sets of the OEM Michelin tires on my '12 and they are great. Tires can flatspot if a car sits for long periods of time.

https://m.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=42

Last edited:

joneillnj

I figured that joneillnj was just here to pontificate. Not an owner and shows a certain vapidness about everything Hyundai/Genesis.
Hah - that's funny. Actually, you are not an "owner" either. This thread is about the Genesis Brand and is in the Genesis Motors Forum. In fact, you're just like me: A Hyundai owner- except you own an older Hyundai Genesis while I own a newer Hyundai Sonata (bought for my daughter). While I am here to learn about the Brand, the Service/support and the vehicles (as I am interested in the G70), you just seem to be here to tell everyone how screwed up Genesis Motors is in doing things (i.e., pontificating, lol)

All he/she has done here is to denigrate most current Genesis owners.
So reminding folks with a G1 or G2 Hyundai Genesis of the FACT that they don't own a Genesis branded vehicle is denigrating them? Wow you are really sensitive about the fact that you own a Hyundai. Why is that when you knew what it was when you bought it? Did you add wings to hide that fact too?

The real stinger is his/her total lack of awareness about who actually services Genesis vehicles. Genesis is company in transition. We all ride the horse of change.
I am well aware of who services Genesis vehicles - I see it when I bring my daughter's car into the combined Hyundai/Genesis dealer for service. The Genesis owners are treated exactly the same as the Hyundai Elantra, Accent, Sonata, etc,. owners: same service writers, service bays, waiting areas and likely shared mechanics (mechanics to an extent based on training, I'd hope). That is part of the problem for many (not all) luxury buyers that Genesis needs to lure from more established brands if they want to grow. It's also an issue when I'm checking out vehicles in the showroom to pass the time on a service vist and see/hear a salesperson working with a client on a Genesis sale while the guy at the next desk is nickel and diming his sales rep on an Accent.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
CT
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I am well aware of who services Genesis vehicles - I see it when I bring my daughter's car into the combined Hyundai/Genesis dealer for service. The Genesis owners are treated exactly the same as the Hyundai Elantra, Accent, Sonata, etc,. owners: same service writers, service bays, waiting areas and likely shared mechanics (mechanics to an extent based on training, I'd hope). That is part of the problem for many (not all) luxury buyers that Genesis needs to lure from more established brands if they want to grow. It's also an issue when I'm checking out vehicles in the showroom to pass the time on a service vist and see/hear a salesperson working with a client on a Genesis sale while the guy at the next desk is nickel and diming his sales rep on an Accent.
That does not bother me at all. Quite the opposite. I have found most sales and service people at the luxury brands to be snobbish and condescending. I had one Mercedes and won't have another if I have to deal with the people that sell and service them. The tried to charge me for a repair on the cruse control and a bunch of parts they replaced. I told them they were wrong and the guy at the desk got the tech. I then drew a diagram of how the CC works and why they were wrong. Talk about embarrassment. There were other issues too and I usually left there with a reduced bill.

I know some Genesis buyers expect separate urinals just for G90 owners, but there is a price for that. If you want to pay it, fine, but a portion of us don't really care what the sign out front says as long as we get good value. IMO, Genesis gives that.

joneillnj

That does not bother me at all. Quite the opposite. I have found most sales and service people at the luxury brands to be snobbish and condescending. I had one Mercedes and won't have another if I have to deal with the people that sell and service them. The tried to charge me for a repair on the cruse control and a bunch of parts they replaced. I told them they were wrong and the guy at the desk got the tech. I then drew a diagram of how the CC works and why they were wrong. Talk about embarrassment. There were other issues too and I usually left there with a reduced bill.

I know some Genesis buyers expect separate urinals just for G90 owners, but there is a price for that. If you want to pay it, fine, but a portion of us don't really care what the sign out front says as long as we get good value. IMO, Genesis gives that.
Hyundai and Genesis have given that value so far, but as they really establish the separate brand, I suspect the value side of the equation will get smaller.

To attract the audience that they need to reach to grow, they need to address that other stuff that does not matter to you but does matter to many.

Like it or not, there is snobbery and many buyers are influenced by peer pressure/opinions. Many partly define their success and stature by the vehicle they drive.

I, personally am not that concerned if the vehicle and service are high quality. However, when I mentioned to co-workers (at one of the biggest Fortune 500 companles) that I was looking at a Genesis, the vast majority seemed puzzled and asked why I would want an expensive Hyundai versus a BMW, Mercedes or Audi. The Hyundai stigma is real to many, like it it not! That is not a slam on Hyundai or Genesis (or their owners) - it’s just the reality of the environment they will be competing in.

I hope that they are successful as it will provide value and also make the established brands up their game too.

jimmy buoy

Getting familiar with the group...
I was once told that Mercedes, when first offering its vehicles to the North American market experienced lower than anticipated sales. This was puzzling to Mercedes, since they were apparently of better quality, design, and performance at a competitive price to its North American competitors. A marketing firm suggested they INCREASE the list prices of their vehicles substantially and guess what... It worked! Sales began to steadily increase.

Just goes to show you. Consumers can be manipulated in strange ways. Obviously the higher price kept the cars something only purchased by those who could really afford the costs and in doing so, owners were able to brag about their financial position without saying a word. Just driving up with your new Mercedes says it all!

Things haven't changed all that much. People are people.

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
I was once told that Mercedes, when first offering its vehicles to the North American market experienced lower than anticipated sales. This was puzzling to Mercedes, since they were apparently of better quality, design, and performance at a competitive price to its North American competitors. A marketing firm suggested they INCREASE the list prices of their vehicles substantially and guess what... It worked! Sales began to steadily increase.
That's a great story, but do you really think it is true?

One thing that "may" have happened is that in Germany, MB is not considered a luxury brand. They have luxury models and luxury trim levels, but many of their vehicles also come in rather plain configurations. When I was in Germany about 15 years ago, a lot of regular people drove C and some E class cars that didn't even have power windows, and they had engines that were smaller than any of those in the US models. At some point, MB decided that the ones they imported into the US all had luxury trim levels and amenities, and that may have increased sales because it became a luxury brand that only some could afford.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
CT
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
That's a great story, but do you really think it is true?
Very possible. I've done it myself. I showed a photo of a product to a potential customer and a really good price. He was skeptical. I showed him a photo of an identical product that in reality was the same price and priced it much higher. He bought it. I've seen other situations like that, it has to do with perception and expectations. Many retail products can be found identical with a different name and price.

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Very possible. I've done it myself. I showed a photo of a product to a potential customer and a really good price. He was skeptical. I showed him a photo of an identical product that in reality was the same price and priced it much higher. He bought it. I've seen other situations like that, it has to do with perception and expectations. Many retail products can be found identical with a different name and price.
I have seen that also, but am a bit skeptical about it applying to MB. My guess is they started only importing the expensive models and trim levels, and that's why they sold more. I was a bit taken aback 15 years ago to drive in a MB in Germany with manual windows.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
CT
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I have seen that also, but am a bit skeptical about it applying to MB. My guess is they started only importing the expensive models and trim levels, and that's why they sold more. I was a bit taken aback 15 years ago to drive in a MB in Germany with manual windows.
I don't know how it is now, but years ago they had a certain arrogance about themselves. No cup holder, mediocre radio. It is about driving, you don't need those things.

Genesis Model Type
Promised, not yet fully delivered. I think we will see stand alone dealers in the future once the path is finally figured out. Marginal dealers will drop the Genesis as they can't justify the expense of meeting requirements.

We hear complaints about Hyundai dealer and yes, it is justified, but those same complaints are in just about every automotive forum no matter the brand. Most of us have had personal experiences with a questionable dealership. I've had dealings with three Hyundai dealers, two good, one bad. There are also Buick and Mercedes dealers that I'd not set foot in again. It will take a few years to shake down though. not the wave of a magic wand of 100 dealers.
As far as i am concerned it all depends on which local dealerships you have in your area. From personal experience we have a local dealership in Orange Park Florida that tries to go the extra mile. To the point of giving me the same Genesis that i needed warranty work done on as a loaner for 4 days. If the dealerships are hungry enough then they will work with you. The problem with the Hyundai brand is that in the beginning they supplied extremely cheap cars and this is kind of the response most people give about Hyundai Cars. I love my Genesis and can honestly say its a pleasure to drive. It also is a bonus if you have several hyundai dealerships in the same area as well.

waz

Registered Member
OP - If you've got the disposible income to get an Audi, Benz, Beemer, or Lexus, by all means, you should get one. You will probably be much happier.

I don't have that kind of bread, and as I've said before on this forum, I'm a cheap bastid.

Although I think Audi in particular makes some of the best looking cars on the planet today (particularly the A7), the European prestige brands' a la carte pricing structures piss me off. (Lexus is not quite as bad, but they're close).

They nickle and dime you and make you add various packages to get a car anywhere near as equipped as a base Genesis.

Take the Audi A7 for example. First of all, it starts at $70k. To get the driver assistance technology (adaptive cruise, lane assist, BSM, etc.) that comes standard on all the Genesis models, you have to spend an additional $2000. The "Comfort Seating Package" is another $3400 to get power lumbar adjustment, premium leather, and ventilated seats.

They even have the nerve to charge you for "Rear-passenger thorax side airbags" ($350)!

It reminds me of taking my wife to Ruth Crist's Steakhouse a few weeks ago for our 28th anniversery. I got a deal on gift cards ($168 value for $100), so I thought I'd splurge for once.

Although the steak was very good (mine was $48), and the service was excellent, they charge you for everything: $9 for a Caesar salad, $11 for asparagus, $9 for a glass of wine, etc.

Our bill ended up being $164, plus a $32 tip! For 2 people!

To tell you the truth, I would have been just as happy if we went to Texas Roadhouse where the steaks are righteous and the sides and salad are included, for well under half the price. But that's just me.

Because Ruth Crist's is doing a bang up business, and the place was packed the night we went, as I'm sure it is most every night, so there are plenty of people who are willing to pay for the prestige and the service they provide.

Getting back to cars, even if I did have that kind of income, I still don't think I could stomach the sheer avarice of the Euroluxury brands. C'mon Audi - you don't make enough profit with a base price of $70 grand to throw in rear airbags?

I guess I'm just a Hyundai (and Texas Roadhouse) kind of guy at heart.

BTW, the service department of my local dealer (Asheville Hyundai) is outstanding; I guess it depends on who's running the place, and their priorities.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.