GV80 Bugs & Other Issues

JEdwards

Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80
The day after purchasing a GV80 2.5 prestige I had difficulty with setting and storing addresses in the Navigation system. I chalked it up to operator error, and swung by the dealership to get help from my salesman. He walked me through the process of saving several addresses to the favorites and My Places sections.

I then used the on board nav to travel to one of the saved addresses. I was at this destination with the car turned of for about a 1/2 hour. When I started the car, all of the addresses were gone. Favorites, My Places, and Recent address list were all blank.

I narrowed it down a bit, and discovered that addresses would persist if the car was off for very short periods. but would vanish fi the car was off for around 10-15 minutes.

The solution was to upgrade the Navigation software. The new software was released shortly after my vehicle was manufactured (while it was being shipped).

Unfortunately I did not know about this forum yet, so had to call customer service twice to resolve this.

Recap. If your new GV80 has trouble saving and remember addresses check you Nav software version and upgrade it if needed.

GV80 and G80 Software update (thread from this forum)
Excellent post by LostAgain about the upgrade

You probably don't need to read much from that thread to get yourself sorted out, but definitely read LostAgain's synopsis. The initial part of the car installation displays 0% progress for a very long time. (For me it took close to 20 minutes). Knowing this ahead of time would have saved a second call to customer support when I thought I might have bricked the infotainment system.

JEdwards

Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80
I initially could not get the car to activate connected services. I created a log in on the my genesis site and even after waiting a couple of days, the car repeatedly failed to enroll.

I called Support and was told to do the following:

Press the ignition button to start the engine. Wait 3-4 seconds until self test is over and Nav system in fully up. Press ignition button to stop the car. Wait 3-4 seconds. Repeat the above start/stop process until the Nav system comes up for the third time. Then simultaneously press and hold the MAP and SETUP buttons for several seconds until the Nav system shuts down and begins to reboot.

After this reset [Connected Services]>{Connected Services Settings]>[Activate Connected Services] completed successfully.

wheeling

Registered Member
Texas
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80
This is not a bug, but I could not figure out the difference between LKA (lane keeping assist) and LFA (lane following assist). I tried both and it seems that LFA works better than LKA, and they both work independently. The question is, why have LKA?

2021GCSGV80

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80
This is not a bug, but I could not figure out the difference between LKA (lane keeping assist) and LFA (lane following assist). I tried both and it seems that LFA works better than LKA, and they both work independently. The question is, why have LKA?

Sorry, still reading the differences. I use lane following all the time. But when I turn on cruise lane keeping comes on automatically. I’ll try to figure the difference.

So in reading the manual the only difference seems to be that the Lane Following Assist can be done from 0-120 mph. the Lane Keeping assist is from 40-120 mph which is why it turns on when the cruise is on I guess. But really those are the only differences I could find.

Last edited:

wheeling

Registered Member
Texas
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80
Reading the manual, it said you can have the accumulated time for auto stop and go set on the dash. Checked everything and could not find it. Has anyone had that set?

SilverGV80

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80
I just had my first service. Of course, the service center did not reset the maintenance interval. I reset it on the main display under the Connected Services area. HOWEVER, to my surprise, there is a second place you have to reset it, in the main display again, that pertains to the warning being displayed in all digital display clusters (not sure if this pertains to the half analog/digital unit. Why would anyone reset the interval in the Connected Services area and then want to continue receiving warnings in the cluster that you are still due for maintenance? It makes zero sense.

ASLAN

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80
I had the same question. Makes no sense. And tried to clear the Connected Services side but simply can't reset anywhere. Makes no sense.

G-367385

I am getting ready to purchase the GV80 and would appreciate inputs from new owners regarding problems experienced with the vehicle. Thanks.
Ok, here we go…..bought a GV80 in Arizona in February of 2021…..probably should not buy first year of any new model, but we were so impressed by the vehicle we did so

At about 3,000 miles, after filling up with gas in the middle of nowhere, the check engine light comes on. Ugh….called Genesis Connected Services and the guy tells me it might be the high altitude of where I filled up. I also went online and it seems it might be a gas cap issue. So I continue onward for another 600 miles and a couple of fill ups, great gas mileage is not a feature on this vehicle, and the light finally goes off.

Two weeks later, I started my car in the driver side interior light start to blink and won’t turn off. The only way I can get them to turn off is to turn off the vehicle and lock the door.
I bought the car in Arizona but am now in Utah, so I call to get the car checked out. I ask about the service valet mentioned in all of the Genesis’ websites which say Genesis will pick up my vehicle, give me a loaner vehicle and then return my car. I told the dealer I would actually drop off the car since I am about 35 miles from the dealer and they could give me the loaner and I could run some errands.

I was told I may not get a loaner and I could rent a vehicle from Enterprise at $38 per day for my appointment, which was 16 days from now. I was also told the service valet program was good within 10 miles of the dealership.

I called Genesis USA and they told me the service valet program was 50 miles or within one year to use the service. Go to a Genesis Website and I cannot find anything that talks about a mileage range or time allotment for the service to be used. Genesis USA is investigating my issue and told me I should receive a response within 5-7 business days. Not exactly five star, sense of urgency response I thought would get.
I really like the GV80, but bugs are in the first year vehicle but I am really disappointed in the Genesis Valet Service program. They tell you one thing in person and on their website, but when it come to first class service, they offer zero star service.

sdusara

St George UT
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I live 100+ miles from the nearest dealer in Henderson NV. I fear similar treatment when i need my car serviced etc. Not good.

CanadianGV80

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80
I believe Genesis Canada operates slightly different than Genesis USA. I know they are really pushing the valet here in Canada.

I would like to think the level of service I have gotten is great. Not Lexus level but darn close. They say within 50km of the dealership they will pick me up. They have kept their word when I had my gremlin of a GV80 on my first go(in the shop within the first 1000km). After being in the shop every other week though, I eventually just started to drive in.

I'm on my second GV80, knock on wood it has been solid (5,000km in). 2.5T engine has average/good fuel economy in eco(about 700km a tank of gas). I'm happy, but hope the vehicle keeps up the solid record so far.

Last edited:

NLJ214

Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80
I just had my first service. Of course, the service center did not reset the maintenance interval. I reset it on the main display under the Connected Services area. HOWEVER, to my surprise, there is a second place you have to reset it, in the main display again, that pertains to the warning being displayed in all digital display clusters (not sure if this pertains to the half analog/digital unit. Why would anyone reset the interval in the Connected Services area and then want to continue receiving warnings in the cluster that you are still due for maintenance? It makes zero sense.
I just had my first service, and the dealer missed this detail as well.
Under Vehicle Settings > Cluster > Service Interval, I found a place where I can change the scheduled interval milage. Still confused....
Here do I enter 4000 miles (number of miles until service) or 11,000 (what the odometer should read when scheduled maintenance is due)? @SilverGV80 Thanks for the tip under connected services. Did not know I had to make an adjustment there as well.

kazzflow

Registered Member
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80
If it helps,, i noticed turbo lag, a miniature glove box, lack of bass in the stereo, lack of a middle rear seat, crappy gas mileage, lack of cup holders, no seat massager as advertised, no spare tire, poorly designed rear cargo system, the round crystal ball thingy doesn't work as anticipated. Otherwise, I am happy with the car.
You have no seat massager? For some reason I noticed when driving for an extended period of time my seats starting massaging my back.

Also check under your setup menu under seats for the setting to make sure it’s actually turned on.

Last edited:

CanadianGV80

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80
Hey, just trying to set a sound base line for the 2.5T engine. See link to video with sound on 2.5T engine running.

I think I have a slight engine knock(cant hear in the video). This engine has a lot of tick to it, is this normal? Plus I am trying to capture another more knocking sound. Haven't been able to capture it yet.

People with a 2.5T, what does your engine sound like?

Edit: video

Amnlupiano

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Sounds normal…it’s a Gasoline Direct Injected (GDI) engine…they all sound like that. Due to how they work (it’s pretty amazing they work at all, it’s a cross between a diesel and gasoline engine in how the combustion chamber fires), the high pressure fuel injectors are very noisy. I think they sound terrible, but it’s totally normal for these new GDI engines to sound like sewing machines… very “clickety clackey”.

PMCErnie

Ancient ‘steemed Member
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
Hey, just trying to set a sound base line for the 2.5T engine. See link to video with sound on 2.5T engine running.

I think I have a slight engine knock(cant hear in the video). This engine has a lot of tick to it, is this normal? Plus I am trying to capture another more knocking sound. Haven't been able to capture it yet.

People with a 2.5T, what does your engine sound like?

Edit: video
Normal. Close the hood. It’s much quieter and you won’t hear the sound inside.

CanadianGV80

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80
Normal. Close the hood. It’s much quieter and you won’t hear the sound inside.
Lmao. Closed.

Updates:
All driving sensors disabled themselves and even felt like I lost hydraulic braking after going down a dirt road. Turned the car off and on and washed it hasn't happened again.
Streamable Video

Not to the extent of my old GV80, the new one still has a vibration issue to a small extent even on fresh pavement. Was curious jumped in my friends ford edge and it was vibrationless. So hmm. Anyways, hopefully this helps someone.

Last edited:

CaliTL

Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Ok, here we go…..bought a GV80 in Arizona in February of 2021…..probably should not buy first year of any new model, but we were so impressed by the vehicle we did so

At about 3,000 miles, after filling up with gas in the middle of nowhere, the check engine light comes on. Ugh….called Genesis Connected Services and the guy tells me it might be the high altitude of where I filled up. I also went online and it seems it might be a gas cap issue. So I continue onward for another 600 miles and a couple of fill ups, great gas mileage is not a feature on this vehicle, and the light finally goes off.

Two weeks later, I started my car in the driver side interior light start to blink and won’t turn off. The only way I can get them to turn off is to turn off the vehicle and lock the door.
I bought the car in Arizona but am now in Utah, so I call to get the car checked out. I ask about the service valet mentioned in all of the Genesis’ websites which say Genesis will pick up my vehicle, give me a loaner vehicle and then return my car. I told the dealer I would actually drop off the car since I am about 35 miles from the dealer and they could give me the loaner and I could run some errands.

I was told I may not get a loaner and I could rent a vehicle from Enterprise at $38 per day for my appointment, which was 16 days from now. I was also told the service valet program was good within 10 miles of the dealership.

I called Genesis USA and they told me the service valet program was 50 miles or within one year to use the service. Go to a Genesis Website and I cannot find anything that talks about a mileage range or time allotment for the service to be used. Genesis USA is investigating my issue and told me I should receive a response within 5-7 business days. Not exactly five star, sense of urgency response I thought would get.
I really like the GV80, but bugs are in the first year vehicle but I am really disappointed in the Genesis Valet Service program. They tell you one thing in person and on their website, but when it come to first class service, they offer zero star service.
It sounds like Genesis sales team is writing checks that their operations team can't cash.

wheeling

Registered Member
Texas
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80
One thing I noticed is that when traffic stops and cars around you on the side come in, the surround view camera will engage. It is no big deal but annoying. My old car also with surround view but never did this. Only when someone approaches the car.

Vicjofer

Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums
Protect your vehicle from code scanners