• Just a quick message to let you know that we now have a JB4 Support Forum so questions can be asked once, in one place, rather than the same question being asked and answered in the G70, G80 and G90 forums. You can find the forum on the main page in the forum list - or click here.

Head-up Display Content

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
CT
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
People used to scoff at anti-lock brakes, ABS, etc.? Are you serious? Which planet was that?
Same one you are on. Just the other day on a different forum a guy was going on about how useless they are and can actually cause accidents because people are afraid to brake when they feel the pulsing. Makes people over confident too.

Just a guess, when he was a kid in the car his father stopped fast and he hit his head on the dashboard.

JayceM

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Same one you are on. Just the other day on a different forum a guy was going on about how useless they are and can actually cause accidents because people are afraid to brake when they feel the pulsing. Makes people over confident too.

Just a guess, when he was a kid in the car his father stopped fast and he hit his head on the dashboard.
Lol! That was funny.

Buckdes

Getting familiar with the group...
After using the HUD for the first time, it will definitly be on my checklist for future cars, which makes it tough because that option is usually buried in an expensive package on the german brands

jlin101

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
People used to scoff at anti-lock brakes, ABS, etc.? Are you serious? Which planet was that?
Even though the concept of ABS has been around for over 100 years, modern ELECTRONIC systems only became widespread since the 80's, and even then, the earlier systems were not very sophisticated, so people scoffed at it because 1) it added $1000 to the cost of cars; 2) some thought they could "pump" the brakes faster than the car; and 3) average drivers were spooked by the pulsing and took their foot off the brakes in a panic. Some people still consider ADAPTIVE cruise control frivolous or a luxury item (European makes still charge $1200 for it while Asian brands now make it a standard feature). Lol, MB didn't give in to POWER DRIVER-SIDE MIRROR till the 1990's, long after economy cars had power mirror on both sides of the car (MB used a clunky toggle inside the mirror housing for adjustment). The list goes on...

TOGuy242

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Toronto, ON
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Even though the concept of ABS has been around for over 100 years, modern ELECTRONIC systems only became widespread since the 80's, and even then, the earlier systems were not very sophisticated, so people scoffed at it because 1) it added $1000 to the cost of cars; 2) some thought they could "pump" the brakes faster than the car; and 3) average drivers were spooked by the pulsing and took their foot off the brakes in a panic. Some people still consider ADAPTIVE cruise control frivolous or a luxury item (European makes still charge $1200 for it while Asian brands now make it a standard feature). Lol, MB didn't give in to POWER DRIVER-SIDE MIRROR till the 1990's, long after economy cars had power mirror on both sides of the car (MB used a clunky toggle inside the mirror housing for adjustment). The list goes on...
Yup I was one of those ... when I was taught to drive, you had to pump your brakes in a slide on snow, so the idea of jamming on the brakes seemed just wrong. I also had the same opinion about the blind spot system ... thought it would make me lazy about checking myself. The G70 is my first car with it, and I have to be honest on this one ... I was right ... :oops:

Beefer

Richmond, VA
Yup I was one of those ... when I was taught to drive, you had to pump your brakes in a slide on snow, so the idea of jamming on the brakes seemed just wrong. I also had the same opinion about the blind spot system ... thought it would make me lazy about checking myself. The G70 is my first car with it, and I have to be honest on this one ... I was right ... :oops:
I'm just one of those people that has to know what is around me. I constantly look myself, etc. I use all these added gadgets as mere helpers...I never rely on them. I cannot even talk on the phone...handsfree or otherwise. If I take a call...I literally talk for no more than 10 seconds.

I feel that when you let your guard down...that is when bad stuff happens. That is why I love my Audi's MMI...I can do everything I need without looking...I memorized all the button placements, etc. So I will have a hard time adapting to the touch screen :(

Toddasaurus

Hasn't posted much yet...
OR
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
This.

Edit: nevermind.

Last edited:

Beefer

Richmond, VA
Another thing about ABS. It is actually worse in the snow. There used to be a way to turn it off when there is alot of snow. It is better to brake (no pulsing) in deeper snow to let the snow build up in front of your tires creating an additional braking obstruction. The buildup of snow helps stop your car. With ABS...that does not happen.

When I am in deeper snow...I still try to manually pulse a bit to confuse the ABS...which helps to build up some snow. Not as good as the old days...but still better than pure ABS in deeper snow.

I should add that this applies more to the sticky stuff. Fluffy stuff doesn't really pile up anyway.

Last edited:

Mr. Incredible

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
In the early 1990s a lot of people had issues with vehicles that had first gen abs systems and since they were optional many people avoided them, for both price and inconsistent function.

I had a 1993 Ford Probe with 4 wheel disc/abs and in moderate rain I had no brakes, the system wouldn’t allow the brakes to grab if the discs were wet, you could feel the pedal pulsing which was the indication the abs was pumping the brakes.

Known issue on Fords and Toyota’s of the time and a lot of recalls, one of the reasons GM maintained drum brakes on the rear of a lot of their vehicles.

Many people scoff at newer technologies, many people don’t like change.

Last edited:

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
CT
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
MB didn't give in to POWER DRIVER-SIDE MIRROR till the 1990's, long after economy cars had power mirror on both sides of the car (MB used a clunky toggle inside the mirror housing for adjustment). .
MB was late with cup holders too. They did not feel it was necessary as you were there to drive, not drink coffee. That is a quote from an MB salesman some years back. Same with the crappy radio they had.

Beefer

Richmond, VA
MB was late with cup holders too. They did not feel it was necessary as you were there to drive, not drink coffee. That is a quote from an MB salesman some years back. Same with the crappy radio they had.
OMG...you remember the Blaupunkt radios MB used to use? I guess that is what you are referring to. They were brutal. Needed to be a scientist to figure them out.

devellis

Been here awhile...
North Carolina
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
I really have no use for standard cruise control but the advanced features available now are pretty nifty. ABS has saved my bacon. I was driving in snow and came down a hill to find maybe five abandoned cars all higgledy-piggledy across the road. With the help of ABS I was able to weave my way between them effortlessly. If I'd had to rely on my well-honed conventional braking, I probably wouldn't have been able to weave through the mess as easily.

I like HUDs a lot. I just wish they didn't require pretty much giving up on polarized sunglasses, which I also like a lot.

In deep snow on an upgrade, traction control can be your enemy. There are times when spinning the rear tires a bit will power you up a hill. We have a fairly steep and long driveway and there have been numerous times when traction control wouldn't get the job done but when turning it off and letting the wheels spin a bit did the job.

The nice thing about having been around long enough to be familiar with cars both that have and that lack advanced technologies is the experience of how to drive under both assisted and non-assisted conditions. Both have their place. Assisted will generally work best with the least effort. But there are times when less advanced technology can actually do better. They're few, but they're real. It's not for nothing that when people are on a track, for example, they disable all of the assistive features the car has.

As an aside, I think this is the first time in my life that I've ever used the expression "higgledy-piggledy."

Mr. Incredible

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
The nice thing about having been around long enough to be familiar with cars both that have and that lack advanced technologies is the experience of how to drive under both assisted and non-assisted conditions. Both have their place.
I still have both, my Genesis is the most advanced car I've owned, while I've had cars with some of the features, BSM, SCC, Backup alert/camera etc. this is the vehicle I have owned with all of the available technologies in a single vehicle.

The G80 is my daily driver, M-F but on weekends I shift gears and drive my 1939 Ford Tudor. the only modern technology it has is power steering and brakes.

crank windows, no cameras, no GPS, manual seats, manual mirrors, 3 speed manual transmission, and until recently the AC was the good old 4/60 system, 4 windows down 60 mph.. I added vintage air to it last year, but it's still a manual system with the old slide levers.

It's very interesting to go from a car with auto hold, lane keep, and SCC which I use daily to a car that requires you to use a clutch and a shift lever, and requires two hands to turn, because even with power steering it is still a pain to turn the thing, the turning ratio is so bad that I can't make a U-turn within the length of the car, it usually requires a 3-point turn.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.