I got badly burned by a Genesis "dealer."

John F. Tamburo

Hasn't posted much yet...
As you all know, I posted a little over a week ago that my dealer burned me on a 2021 Porto Red AWD G80. Some of you were very helpful (thank you). The dealer, given an opportunity, lied to me again. Other dealers PM'd me but nothing came of those contacts. Not for lack of their trying.

I tried contacting nationalca -at- genesismotors.com and also the Genesis concierge (who I've been contacting for 90+ days). Nationalca simply ignored me -- no response ever. The Concierge sends me an automated response and then ignores me. This kind of service rises to the level of outright hostility to a repeat customer. If I contact the customer service center I should have a response within one business day. Instead I am being abused. Genesis is driving me to drop the brand in favor of Mercedes. I will end up paying much more, but at least MB treats customers like their business depends on us.

Ugh. Either Genesis corporate gets in touch with me today or I am done.

Kevin L

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Southwest Florida
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Sorry to hear that, John. I hope they contact you and things work out for you.

YEH

Registered Member
NYC/MD
Really disappointing to hear that corporate has dropped the ball (Genesis also really needs to get rid of the bad franchisees, but that's a bit more difficult to do).

Fast Freddie

Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80
I was burned by my dealer. Badly. I reserved a 2021 G80 3.5T AWD Prestige in Porto Red over six months ago. After getting fed a tidal wave of 🐃💩 about where my car was, I noticed on December 29 that the dealer's website was showing G80s in stock. I contacted them ( they never contacted me) and they said that they had two Porto Red Prestige AWD coming in but they were 2.5T. I went on on New Year's Eve to test drive a 2.5T and liked it.
I gave them my Amex card for a deposit on one of these "cars." Over the weekend I asked for the VIN so I could look up a copy of the sticker online. Instead I was texted a photo of the sticker printout.

Now, suddenly, this morning, I was told that both of their Porto Red AWD Prestige cars arrived on December 21 and were "sold the same day." 🐃💩!!!!
I checked that 🤬ing dealer web site every 🤬ing day! Those cars had not arrived by the 31st. The first day that they showed a G80 was the 29th.
Now they are saying they have to order the car, but the Genesis website has dropped Porto Red as a color for any trim or engine level of G80, and has no other acceptable (red) color.

I firmly believe that someone offered them more money for a car on which I had given my Amex card as a deposit, and they sold the car out from under me, since they had quoted a price. Nothing else makes sense. I certainly don't believe that the dealer was honest with me.
I have asked my salesman for an explanation, and copied the store's general sales manager and the Genesis Concierge. I expect to hear nothing. Neither Genesis nor any of its dealers care one whit about customers.

Do any of the dealers on this page have any connections in the Chicago metro area where I can get satisfaction? If not, I'm giving up on Genesis. I know that, if I had gone to the Mercedes dealer, I'd be sitting in a leather sofa, getting spoiled as the dealer made sure my every desire was fulfilled, or even better, I'd be sitting in my living room as they delivered my new car to my door. Dealing with a Hyundai store service level and used-car-lot dishonesty makes me want to uncontrollably puke.

If you are in the Chicago Metro area stay FAR away from Genesis of Orland Park.
John - I am also in the SW suburbs. Waiting for a GV80. I went through four dealers for more than a month and got the run-around on any availability or delivery dates. Most are posting vehicles available on their websites that are actually scheduled for delivery a month or more out. No follow-up from the sales people on the one I put a deposit down on. Can’t speak yet enough about the car, or my short test drive, but now may want to go back to Acura or Lexus where people knew your name and actually showed they cared about your business. Keeping my fingers crossed....

PMCErnie

Ancient ‘steemed Member
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
I don’t think some folks realize that dealers have simply been overwhelmed by the demand, versus the meager supply of these vehicles thus far. Other issues are also complicating life. My advice would be to take a breath.

Last edited:

MJLx2

Suburban Chicago
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Ultimate
John, Sorry to hear about your terrible and unethical dealership experiences. In the hopes that people at Genesis corporate / Genesis USA might be ready this I’d like to add my thoughts on the dealer issues. I bought a dealer demo G80 last year - sold and titled to me as a new car. I’ve dealt with 2 dealerships so far during my ownership experience - both in the west Chicago suburbs. I’d describe the experiences as somewhere between terrible and poor.
Said another way, I’d respond to a survey question about the dealers as “would NOT recommend “. On the other hand, my dealer experience with Audi, Acura and Lexus has consistently been somewhere between good to outstanding. My wife would say her experience with Lexus IS second to none.
Genesis you have great product and have begun to develop a strong brand following, but your dealers and the dealership experience are killing your brand. For that reason I’m somewhat reluctant to recommend the brand to anyone. If people ask me about my car in connection with their consideration of the brand I tell them, great car but always include an honest assessment of what the dealership experience has been. The result is generally, “thanks for your honesty, I’ll stick with (fill in the premium brand name here)“.
In fact, when I’ve run my course w my G80 I don’t know if I will buy another Genesis unless the dealership experience improves markedly.
I’m sure the folks at Genesis have seen this, but to emphasize the point about dealers destroying the brand take a look at a YouTube video review of the 2021 G80 by a guy who publishes his reviews under the name of Savage Geese. (Also a suburban Chicago guy.) He’s exceptionally knowledgeable, gives very direct and honest reviews. Doesn’t mince his words. You’ll see he gives the vehicle very high marks across the board. An outstanding review for the product. However, he concludes the video review by explaining he found a previous generation G80 configured like he wanted that he had arranged to buy for his personal use .... quite an endorsement for the G80, right! But, as he explains after buying airline tickets and getting his check drawn to pay cash for the car the dealer then insisted that in order to sell him the car he had to finance the car through the dealership. He walked away from the deal but as you’ll see he concludes buy saying that as a result he will never buy a Genesis, Hyundai or Kia product.
Im not sure how many people watch his videos, but he’s basically complaining about the dealership experience but with a bigger microphone that is this forum.
Genesis, we’re in your corner, but you’ve got a very weak link in taking your brand to the next level.

Freddyrdg

Victoria, BC
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80
I was burned by my dealer. Badly. I reserved a 2021 G80 3.5T AWD Prestige in Porto Red over six months ago. After getting fed a tidal wave of 🐃💩 about where my car was, I noticed on December 29 that the dealer's website was showing G80s in stock. I contacted them ( they never contacted me) and they said that they had two Porto Red Prestige AWD coming in but they were 2.5T. I went on on New Year's Eve to test drive a 2.5T and liked it.
I gave them my Amex card for a deposit on one of these "cars." Over the weekend I asked for the VIN so I could look up a copy of the sticker online. Instead I was texted a photo of the sticker printout.

Now, suddenly, this morning, I was told that both of their Porto Red AWD Prestige cars arrived on December 21 and were "sold the same day." 🐃💩!!!!
I checked that 🤬ing dealer web site every 🤬ing day! Those cars had not arrived by the 31st. The first day that they showed a G80 was the 29th.
Now they are saying they have to order the car, but the Genesis website has dropped Porto Red as a color for any trim or engine level of G80, and has no other acceptable (red) color.

I firmly believe that someone offered them more money for a car on which I had given my Amex card as a deposit, and they sold the car out from under me, since they had quoted a price. Nothing else makes sense. I certainly don't believe that the dealer was honest with me.
I have asked my salesman for an explanation, and copied the store's general sales manager and the Genesis Concierge. I expect to hear nothing. Neither Genesis nor any of its dealers care one whit about customers.

Do any of the dealers on this page have any connections in the Chicago metro area where I can get satisfaction? If not, I'm giving up on Genesis. I know that, if I had gone to the Mercedes dealer, I'd be sitting in a leather sofa, getting spoiled as the dealer made sure my every desire was fulfilled, or even better, I'd be sitting in my living room as they delivered my new car to my door. Dealing with a Hyundai store service level and used-car-lot dishonesty makes me want to uncontrollably puke.

If you are in the Chicago Metro area stay FAR away from Genesis of Orland Park.
You never know until you know! in the past, I got first class attention and care from my local KIA dealership (I had a KIA Stinger TT3.3L) whereas I wasn't treated as well by the BMW...

Kevin L

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Southwest Florida
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
You never know until you know! in the past, I got first class attention and care from my local KIA dealership (I had a KIA Stinger TT3.3L) whereas I wasn't treated as well by the BMW...

Agreed. Level of service within the same brand depending on the dealer. I think your odds of getting the "luxury car treatment" is better at BMW than Hyundai/Genesis, though.

With Genesis vehicles inching up in price with each new gen, it's tougher to put up with shoddy treatment at the dealer. Both Lincolns and Acuras I've owned have had good dealer experiences.

Gurgeh

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
John, Sorry to hear about your terrible and unethical dealership experiences. In the hopes that people at Genesis corporate / Genesis USA might be ready this I’d like to add my thoughts on the dealer issues. I bought a dealer demo G80 last year - sold and titled to me as a new car. I’ve dealt with 2 dealerships so far during my ownership experience - both in the west Chicago suburbs. I’d describe the experiences as somewhere between terrible and poor.
Said another way, I’d respond to a survey question about the dealers as “would NOT recommend “. On the other hand, my dealer experience with Audi, Acura and Lexus has consistently been somewhere between good to outstanding. My wife would say her experience with Lexus IS second to none.
Genesis you have great product and have begun to develop a strong brand following, but your dealers and the dealership experience are killing your brand. For that reason I’m somewhat reluctant to recommend the brand to anyone. If people ask me about my car in connection with their consideration of the brand I tell them, great car but always include an honest assessment of what the dealership experience has been. The result is generally, “thanks for your honesty, I’ll stick with (fill in the premium brand name here)“.
In fact, when I’ve run my course w my G80 I don’t know if I will buy another Genesis unless the dealership experience improves markedly.
I’m sure the folks at Genesis have seen this, but to emphasize the point about dealers destroying the brand take a look at a YouTube video review of the 2021 G80 by a guy who publishes his reviews under the name of Savage Geese. (Also a suburban Chicago guy.) He’s exceptionally knowledgeable, gives very direct and honest reviews. Doesn’t mince his words. You’ll see he gives the vehicle very high marks across the board. An outstanding review for the product. However, he concludes the video review by explaining he found a previous generation G80 configured like he wanted that he had arranged to buy for his personal use .... quite an endorsement for the G80, right! But, as he explains after buying airline tickets and getting his check drawn to pay cash for the car the dealer then insisted that in order to sell him the car he had to finance the car through the dealership. He walked away from the deal but as you’ll see he concludes buy saying that as a result he will never buy a Genesis, Hyundai or Kia product.
Im not sure how many people watch his videos, but he’s basically complaining about the dealership experience but with a bigger microphone that is this forum.
Genesis, we’re in your corner, but you’ve got a very weak link in taking your brand to the next level.
Savage Geese is one of the best and most honest internet reviewers. He give his information in a way that you can still say "this car is for me" even if he doesn't recommend it for himself.

He alludes to the problem he had with the G80 in his (very positive) YouTube review of the GV80. He seems to have cooled down from his earlier review. His bottom line on the new review was that if he didn't have a need for an SUV that towed 8000 lbs, he would buy the GV80 for his personal use, judging it, all other things considered, superior to every other luxury mid-sized crossover in its class. But he does need to tow 8000 lbs, so bought a Durango instead.

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums