LED headlight strips as DRL

kaigoss69

Hasn't posted much yet...
JAX
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
Many thanks to Danemania1 for putting up the diy and the plans for the relay switch and connections to the existing wiring. I just finished this conversion and it worked out great. The whole job took me around 6-7 hours and I spent most of the time on wiring as I suck at this kind of thing and I went extra slow not to mess anything up. I had a friend build the relay switch per danemania1's diagram and it works exactly as he said it would. I still cannot believe the car did not come like this but now I am so glad I did it. Regarding the procedure outlined here, I also was able to do this without removing the headlights. It's a tight squeeze in there to get to the connector inside the headlight housing, but it ended up saving me a bunch of time I think. I had a pretty difficult time inserting the wires into the connector, to add the 12V wire for the LED strip. I first tried to solder the end of the wire, but it ended up too thick and I wasn't able to make a connection. Perhaps the wire I used was a little too thick (16 gauge I think) and I finally had success inserting the bare wire only (no solder). On the other side I had more trouble and ended up using the wire from a paper clip (with a slight bend in it) which sat firmly inside the connector and made contact. This is what I should have done on the other side as I think it has less chance of coming out. I did not zip tie the new wire to the existing wires as I was afraid this would pull it loose. Instead, I superglued the new wire to the existing ones. So far it is holding. I will also say that stripping the rear blinker wires near the fuse panel is a little like brain surgery on a flea. The wires are thin and seemingly fragile to begin with, and stripping the insulation away is a little nerve-wrecking to say the least. Below is the obligatory "after" picture. Happy camper here!

IMG_1723.JPG

miwa

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
So I tried a couple different switchback relays but couldn't get the results I wanted. one gave me hyperflash and I added a resistor but it made my LED strip flicker.
so I made my own and they work great. they also make it so i dont need to run the 12v constant power. and I also don't need the relays as the switchback takes their place. it keeps everything working like factory. if the front blinker bulb blows the car will hyperflash to let you know. the way its wired with the harnesses I used if something ever goes wrong with the switchbacks i just unplug it and then connect the 2 connectors and its back to factory.
here is a diagram to build one and what it wires to.
View attachment 13241

here is a diagram of how to wire it into the car

View attachment 13242
Hi @danemania1, I'm having a little trouble following this update with your custom switchbacks and correlating it with the original instructions. The harness images that you used here doesn't look like the original two connector harnesses you used. I'd imagine this is a different harness that you'd have to buy separately?

@kaigoss69 , can you please post some pics of what your friend built and how it links up? I think I can handle the switchback build part, but I got a little lost following how it hooks up with the rest of the system.

thanks!

Last edited:

kaigoss69

JAX
Genesis Model Type
Hi @miva,

unfortunately I did not get any pictures but it is basically a box with the two OEM wiring connectors on the ends, just like shown in the diagram by Danemania1 on page 2.

Not sure why but the switchback circuitry is not 100% compatible with my car because I get turn signal hyperlinking about every 3rd to 5th application of each blinker. After the hyperlink, the circuit does not switch back to DRL and I need to engage the blinker again to turn on the DRL on that side.

Hi @danemania1, I'm having a little trouble following this update with your custom switchbacks and correlating it with the original instructions. The harness images that you used here doesn't look like the original two connector harnesses you used. I'd imagine this is a different harness that you'd have to buy separately?

@kaigoss69 , can you please post some pics of what your friend built and how it links up? I think I can handle the switchback build part, but I got a little lost following how it hooks up with the rest of the system.

thanks!

miwa

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
@kaigoss69, thanks for the reply and the update. I'll have to rethink about doing this if you're having inconsistency issues. Did you ever change out the blinker bulbs for LEDs?

CarlitoGR

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Maryland
Genesis Model Type
i'm looking to only disable the amber DRL while maintaining the turn signal functionality of the amber bulbs...would cutting pin 12 for the DRL on the wiring harness accomplish this?
What year car do you have? on the 2015 pin 12 does not exist. I think on the 2016, the pin 12 would exist for the dedicated DRL LEDs. To do what your saying, you would need to enable Dedicated DRL in the Body Control Module. I haven't figured out how to modify Body Control Module parameters yet.

sidewinder1

Getting familiar with the group...
Tampa, FL
What year car do you have? on the 2015 pin 12 does not exist. I think on the 2016, the pin 12 would exist for the dedicated DRL LEDs. To do what your saying, you would need to enable Dedicated DRL in the Body Control Module. I haven't figured out how to modify Body Control Module parameters yet.
i have the 15 so looks like i'm out of options...i got a led in there and afraid of burning them out prematurely by using as drl since i already have fog leds that are always on.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.