Pano sunroof

david2u

Hasn't posted much yet...
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
Enjoy your pano crap while you can. My 2016 had the entire roof replaced in 2017 due to rattles and creaks etc. It is now going on week 4 of trying to get it into the dealer to get the roof replaced AGAIN! Rattles like never before. And I am getting the BS story of "we have no loaner cars". WTF kind of dealership doesn't have loaner cars? Will be my last Genesis and Hyundia dealer experience ever.[/QUOTE
Just had the 4th pano installed about 2 months ago. It’s starting to creak again.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
CT
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Just had the 4th pano installed about 2 months ago. It’s starting to creak again.
I'm curious. Do you open it frequently? I have had no problems on three cars, but I never open them so that may make a difference. Can't imagine why you are having so many problems unless it is not being installed properly.

Windchaser

Getting familiar with the group...
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Illinois
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I'm curious. Do you open it frequently? I have had no problems on three cars, but I never open them so that may make a difference. Can't imagine why you are having so many problems unless it is not being installed properly.
I too very rarely open mine (I like to leave the shade cover open) and haven’t had any problems in my G80 or my 2012 Sonata.

surprisinguy

Registered Member
NC
Genesis Model Type
I havent heard any creaks yet... had the car for a few months. Opened it twice. Hoping there will be no issues!! It's one of the best features of the car.

david2u

Hasn't posted much yet...
Genesis Model Type
I leave it in the popped up position almost all year round, unless it’s freezing outside. I like the fresh air rather than coming from the vents. Each time they’ve replaced the roof, they verified that it was making a racket, and there was no repair for it...just replace it. I happen to really like the car and my lease is up in 4 months but, if I do get another one, I’ll forgo the roof. I just hope that now it’s going to be a “Genesis” experience, that also means the service department will be totally separate. Service experience has been abysmal.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
CT
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I leave it in the popped up position almost all year round, unless it’s freezing outside. I like the fresh air rather than coming from the vents. Each time they’ve replaced the roof, they verified that it was making a racket, and there was no repair for it...just replace it. I happen to really like the car and my lease is up in 4 months but, if I do get another one, I’ll forgo the roof. I just hope that now it’s going to be a “Genesis” experience, that also means the service department will be totally separate. Service experience has been abysmal.
Of course it is meant to be opened, but that may allow the body to twist and stress more, thus causing the noise. IMO. they should reduce the size if that would help, or eliminate them. Looks cool for a few minutes a year in my case.

2015g5.0

Registered Member
Guess there is no "final solution" the roof rattle. I thought Id check back to see if there was. I have had the entire roof replaced twice, the sunroof replaced twice and back and forth to the dealer for adjustments dozens of times. The latest strategy has been to shave some seal off the sunroof and apply some GM high end lube. Didn't work. HMA is coming out again to see what the problem is. I think the problem is and I can duplicate the noise just by pressing down on the sun roof - sounds like seal squeak and poor fit. Seems the sunroof just isn't seating properly or deep enough to not wiggle / shift around and make noise.

I have the sunroof either all the way open or popped up every day at some point, in town or on the highway.

1FstYota

Registered Member
WA
Guess there is no "final solution" the roof rattle. I thought Id check back to see if there was. I have had the entire roof replaced twice, the sunroof replaced twice and back and forth to the dealer for adjustments dozens of times. The latest strategy has been to shave some seal off the sunroof and apply some GM high end lube. Didn't work. HMA is coming out again to see what the problem is. I think the problem is and I can duplicate the noise just by pressing down on the sun roof - sounds like seal squeak and poor fit. Seems the sunroof just isn't seating properly or deep enough to not wiggle / shift around and make noise.

I have the sunroof either all the way open or popped up every day at some point, in town or on the highway.
I'm not sure if there would be, if you visit other forums with cars that have pano I'm sure they have the same issues, its not just our cars. When you have surfaces that needs a tight seal, with movable parts I'm sure it will make noise sooner or later. just nature of the beast.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.