• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Play CDs in your Genesis!

Rmsanger

Hasn't posted much yet...
Very NICE! Looks like a superb little black box of goodness but the weakness of the Genesis is how you interface this to the amplified section. What cables and ports are best ? We don’t have a true line in interface anywhere on the 17 speaker preamp side. I think the smaller system may though...IIRC.
Sorry I don't have a G70 (yet)... I'm going to sit on the sidelines for a year and see what the depreciation looks like. There are a ton of posts on car connectivity in the thread I linked as well as the Q&A section of Amazon.

kaigoss69

JAX
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
If anyone would like to experience 5.1 in their car, shoot me a PM. I can setup a sampler ISO that you can burn to a DVD. It should play in the Ultimate, not sure about other trims.
SuperKing, thanks a lot...you have officially ruined AM/FM radio, CD, satellite and streaming via BT for me!!! That sampler DVD is AWESOME!!! Sounds incredible, especially with my upgraded sub. The music you picked...are we related? ;) Awesome man, thank so much again, I've listened to 50 songs and still not through. Loving every minute of this!!!

SuperKing

Registered Member
Vancouver, BC
No problem. Good music is good music... Well, maybe not today's music... lol... I must be getting old because I equate today's music to being noise...

When I first decided to give DVDA a try, I was awe struck. I've never heard such clarity in my life and going back to stereo makes everything sound flat. To give some idea of how much audio data is in the DVD, a typical track ripped from a CD is about 50mb uncompressed. When I ripped a DVD track, some of the songs are 600mb! Think of stereo as having the band in front of you and 5.1 as you being in the middle of the band. It's a shame the format is dead and optical drives are going away...

Don't forget you can also play the disc in your home theater if you have a 5.1 setup there as well.

Suburbazine

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Louisiana
Genesis Model Type

Whitey

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Saint Petersburg, Florida
Genesis Model Type

kaigoss69

JAX
Genesis Model Type
Heck, now you got me wanting to get some of this lol. What sub are you running? I have been debating about an upgrade as I still have an old JL 12w6 laying around, but preferably thinking a W7 if it'll fit.
The sub upgrade makes a big difference if done right! The W6 would be perfect for IB through the ski-pass. Look in the audio section...I don't have the link handy right now, just search my username and "infinite baffle", you should find it easy.

Whitey

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type

kaigoss69

JAX
Genesis Model Type
I just took a look and not bad at all, kai. I could see that working nicely, yet I'd wanna clean that up a little as I hate unsightliness in my trunk (lol, yes, I'm a bit anal about a clean look). It's a shame our rear decks are not an option, as I'd prefer to keep the ski pass available.

Reading your initial write-up, I see we both go back many years with car audio (heck all audio for that matter). Back in the day, I spent stupid money on custom car audio show-quality installs. I've always been a SQ over SPL guy and, while those days are behind me, the thought of giving the Genny a little deeper bottom-end is intriguing. Seamless integration with the existing sound is a must. I'll study this more when time permits and see what I can pull from it, thanks!
Yeah we share a similar passion and background in car audio. I was surprised how much better the DVD-A sounded in my 17 speaker system, especially mid-bass, which was much improved over the other sources. I'm usually not a surround sound kinda guy, when it comes to music, but this is a refreshing change, and the definition and clarity is excellent. I wish the imaging was a bit better though...there is no setting to change the T/A for the driver like in other cars. Overall though, I like this system a lot and with the addition of the sub, I am completely happy!

SuperKing

Registered Member
Vancouver, BC
I found the bass off a DVD sounds a lot better. Probably because 5.1 has a dedicated low frequency channel instead of having the crossovers try to filter it out.

With the phasing out of optical drives, I've been researching which cars can play 6 channel FLAC files. Turns out newer BMW, Jaguar and Land Rovers can play it with proper channel separation. I hope future Genesis vehicles can play these files. It'll save me a lot of hassle having to author my own DVD mixes, it's not an easy process... lol

Whitey

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type

Whitey

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type

ewang

WI
Genesis Model Type
Burned a DVDA from an ISO provided by SuperKing (thank you!) and all I can say is I am impressed by the clarity of the sound system in my 2016 Genesis!

Now to figure out how to put my music collection on more DVDs!

Whitey

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type

Kraig Wilkinson

Registered Member
New Jersey now live in South Dakota
Genesis Model Type
Rut-row...all this clean sound talk is gonna force me to go and dig for mine that are packed away lol.

But first, still have to burn SuperKing's ISO this weekend and give a good listen, can't wait dammit! :stereo:
Appears that I need to educate myself on this Audio things you speak of. Sounds interesting I like clean loud music!

SuperKing

Registered Member
Vancouver, BC
I made a discovery... I was playing around with different file types and found out a few things...

- it still doesn't play FLAC files, the system doesn't see them at all
- it will play wav files but no more than 2 channel. Tries to play a 6 channel WAV but errors out. WAV is a good solution to those ripping CDs to FLAC. Rip them to WAV instead. It'll be a huge file but 128gb sticks are $30 these days. This will give you uncompressed audio off the USB

- While the system has the DTS codec and can play it off a DVD, it can't seem to do it when DTS audio is embedded in a MKV. Maybe it's because I didn't transcode the audio to DTS, I left it at DTS 96/24. I'll try it again tonight after a transcode.
- Audio in a MKV that works is AAC, AC3, MP3, Vorbis, and oddly enough FLAC.
- Like a DVD, playing video files when not in park is audio only. You can still browse your folder while driving.

Sound quality isn't great, probably because I only encoded at 320kbps when the original DTS file is 1536kbps. That's only 53kbps per channel. Once I find a good combination of codec and bitrate that sounds as good as DVD, I can embed my 6 channel FLAC files in MKV files and finally play them through USB instead of burning to a DVD.

You can also use this method to play FLAC files ripped from CD but it seems like extra work, I would just rip to uncompressed WAV like I mentioned above if you don't mind the larger file sizes. Neither format will let you embed tag info though so if you want song names, album art, etc then this isn't for you.

It's a workaround to be able to play FLAC but you technically can if you want to put in the work... lol

Whitey

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type

SuperKing

Registered Member
Vancouver, BC
Here's some disappointment... lol

FLAC embedded in MKV does work without transcoding the FLAC but 5.1 is played back in 2.0. Also, the volume seems to be cut by 50%. I converted a couple of songs and they sounded off so I converted some multichannel test files and found the rear channels played on the front speakers. For my application, FLAC isn't the format for me.

Whitey

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type

Kraig Wilkinson

Registered Member
New Jersey now live in South Dakota
Genesis Model Type
Shame it didn't pan out, but hey it was worth a shot. Thanks and appreciate your giving it a roll. In the end, I'll live lol. May just have to dig out my limited SACD/DVD-A collection and revel in what I do have - haven't played one in years.
I dont want to talk about things other than our beloved Gennys, I wanted to ask superking ,what would you recommend to me ,entry level . Cd/DVD ripper? If that is the right term to use. Thanks

Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums