Bad Someone is driving my Genesis G80 (Jim Ellis Hyundai-Genesis Atlanta)

Mr. Incredible

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
It gets me upset just hearing about it... BMW or Porsche can get away with this crap but I do not expect this treatment from my Korean built Genesis.... jp
Why should any manufacturer be different, this isn’t their personal vehicle and I guarantee if that service tech got into an accident they would tell you to go through your insurance over it and do nothing for you, doesn’t matter if it is Porsche, bmw, or a Hyundai.

I’ve been down this road myself, and had a friend that had his car totaled by a service tech who was “test driving” after an alignment and ran a red light and t-boned someone, and BMW told him to take it up with his insurance.

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
Why should any manufacturer be different, this isn’t their personal vehicle and I guarantee if that service tech got into an accident they would tell you to go through your insurance over it and do nothing for you, doesn’t matter if it is Porsche, bmw, or a Hyundai.

I’ve been down this road myself, and had a friend that had his car totaled by a service tech who was “test driving” after an alignment and ran a red light and t-boned someone, and BMW told him to take it up with his insurance.
I don't understand. If a service tech wrecks a car, it is not the manufacturer's responsibility, it is the dealer's responsibility. In the USA, generally auto manufacturers are not allowed to own dealerships, which are independent businesses. Therefore, the question is whether the dealer or the customer is responsible for repairs.

I find it a little hard to believe that it would not be the responsibility of the dealer to make the repairs themselves at no charge to the customer, without getting the customer insurance company involved, but maybe I am wrong about that.

Mr. Incredible

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I don't understand. If a service tech wrecks a car, it is not the manufacturer's responsibility, it is the dealer's responsibility. In the USA, generally auto manufacturers are not allowed to own dealerships, which are independent businesses. Therefore, the question is whether the dealer or the customer is responsible for repairs.

I find it a little hard to believe that it would not be the responsibility of the dealer to make the repairs themselves at no charge to the customer, without getting the customer insurance company involved, but maybe I am wrong about that.
Let me clarify, when I said BMW I meant the dealer.

And the dealers insurance is responsible, it would be no different if someone hit your car, their insurance is responsible for the repairs, not yours.

And while I know his insurance went after the dealer and their insurance for reimbursement, my buddy was told he had to take it up with his insurance the dealer would not repair the car otherwise.

His car ended up being totaled and it took two years and a full civil trial before he got anything out of it.

In my case the Lexus dealer tech was hot rodding my RCF, doing 75 in a 40 zone, taking high speed turns, did a donut style u-turn and it was all captured on my dash cam and the data logger I had hard wired in the car. It even made the local news.

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
Let me clarify, when I said BMW I meant the dealer.

And the dealers insurance is responsible, it would be no different if someone hit your car, their insurance is responsible for the repairs, not yours.

And while I know his insurance went after the dealer and their insurance for reimbursement, my buddy was told he had to take it up with his insurance the dealer would not repair the car otherwise.

His car ended up being totaled and it took two years and a full civil trial before he got anything out of it.

In my case the Lexus dealer tech was hot rodding my RCF, doing 75 in a 40 zone, taking high speed turns, did a donut style u-turn and it was all captured on my dash cam and the data logger I had hard wired in the car. It even made the local news.
I guess that in some states that is how insurance works, but I don't think that is all states. If so, then it is no different than if any other accident occurred where the other driver was a fault.

I certainly do not condone what the dealer did. I try and avoid taking my car to the dealer unless necessary, and I do all oil changes, engine air, and cabin filter changes myself. The ability (including difficulty) of doing those changes at home is usually affects which vehicle I purchase.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
CT
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
It gets me upset just hearing about it... BMW or Porsche can get away with this crap but I do not expect this treatment from my Korean built Genesis.... jp
No one expects it, but similar things have happened with just about every brand of car made. Friend of mine was using his wife's car on the highway when he was passed by his GTO (doing at least 90) that was in the dealer's shop. My grandson worked for a Subaru dealer and delivered and picked up cars from the auctions. He borrowed my GPS for one trip and I checked the maximum speed. It registered 122.

Mr. Incredible

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I guess that in some states that is how insurance works, but I don't think that is all states. If so, then it is no different than if any other accident occurred where the other driver was a fault.

I certainly do not condone what the dealer did. I try and avoid taking my car to the dealer unless necessary, and I do all oil changes, engine air, and cabin filter changes myself. The ability (including difficulty) of doing those changes at home is usually affects which vehicle I purchase.
I get that, for me I have 5 cars and a motorcycle, the only cars I do my own wrenching on are my ‘69 Mustang and ‘39 Ford Tudor as I built/restored those myself and trust no one with them..

As for the wife’s Camry, kids CT200, and my G80. They all have maintanence contracts and warranties and I have no issue letting the dealer do the work, my time is worth more than what it takes to deal with the hassle of doing it myself or fighting with a service advisor over proof it was done for warranty concerns.

four

Supporting Member
Michigan
Last time Genesis picked up my car for service my dashcam picked up someone in the bay reminding the young man returning it to keep it under 100, and honestly that seemed about fair.

Nolfol

Hasn't posted much yet...
Hey everyone, I own a 2018 Genesis G80 that i gave for it 7.5K service maintenance this Thursday evening. I had some battery issues for which they said they would like to keep it overnight. A rental would be provided. Great, that worked for me but as i head to out of town I informed them that i will pick it up on Monday (big mistake). I keep the Geo-Fence on for my car as it came with the free 3 three paid service. This is where is gets interesting. All over the weekend, my phone has been pinging me locations miles away from the dealership.

It started Friday evening.
  • We received a Geo-Fence boundary notification from your 2018 GENESIS G80 on 03/02/2018 at 04:38 pm EST. Near: 2381 John Glenn Dr, Atlanta, GA 30341, USA (This is the dealership address)
  • on 03/02/2018 at 06:41 pm EST. Near: 3073 Panthersville Rd, Decatur, GA 30034, USA (18.4 miles away from the dealership)
  • on 03/02/2018 at 10:13 pm EST. Near: 122-140 Heritage Way, Covington, GA 30016, USA (25 miles from the previous place, at 10 PM, the dealership closes at 7)
  • 03/03/2018 at 06:51 am EST. Near: 122-140 Heritage Way, Covington, GA 30016, USA (next day morning, looks like the car was kept overnight, also this is a residential address)
  • on 03/03/2018 at 07:26 am EST. Near: 6734-6758 Dawson Blvd, Norcross, GA 30093, USA (37 miles away from the previous place, some random mall outlet)
  • 03/03/2018 at 02:38 pm EST. Near: 122-140 Heritage Way, Covington, GA 30016, USA (37 miles again)
  • 03/04/2018 at 11:03 am EST. Near: 122-140 Heritage Way, Covington, GA 30016, USA (Car was kept again overnight)
  • 03/04/2018 at 11:14 am EST. Near: 4230 Salem Rd, Covington, GA 30016, USA (Gas station, assuming to fill up my tank since he used my gas)

Looks like there as been more then 100 miles of driving, and all over the place. This really angers me as i didnt keep my car there so it could be used by someone else for their personal joyride.
I am going to be disccusing this with regional gensis office tomorrow. Would apprecaite any help as to what should be my next step?

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.