Taking my G70 to the track

Husky

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Well that sucks! I can see them denying a claim if you crash at the track, obviously, but one could make an argument that you should get a damn discount for having track experience, where you learn to control your car at the limit instead of just freaking out (or not knowing where the limit is even). So screwed up.

Husky

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I hate insurance companies for their short sightedness. They won't cover a medical checkup or some preventative procedure, but they end up paying 100x as much when you get really sick instead.

ephone1

SUSTAINING MEMBER
West Michigan
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Be careful posting on Forums your trips to a Track Day. I know most of the major insurance companies, including the one I retired from, have a dedicated department researching individuals daily, both specific and randomly. You will have a hard time with rates if you are found to be a participant in an organzied activity such as this.
The IT guys/girls in this department are excellent at there jobs and know how to find names, compare vehicles being talked about and will note your file. You won't know until you get the "letter" and then go to another company who will have access to this information and also use it against you. Big Brother is Watching.
I wouldn't expect my insurance company to cover my car while on track, so I can't understand why an insurance company would, other than preventing a fraudulent claim.

Husky

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Of course not. I think he was saying they wouldn't want to cover you, any time, if you were the type to track your car.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Of course not. I think he was saying they wouldn't want to cover you, any time, if you were the type to track your car.
Exactly.
Situation: You are in the passenger seat on the highway. Traffic is moving and suddenly there is a major problem when a truck ahead goes out of control

Who do you prefer to be your driver?
A A trained and experience track driver that knows how to handle his car under a lot of different and fast changing circumstances.

B An middle age driver that has never gone above 50 mph and even stops on yellow lights.

Your insurance company likes B and despises A in spite of qualifications and ability.

randomfrequency

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Took mine up to area 27 in July, the sport mode was probably way better at shifting than I ever would be.

They have the option at the end where you can sign a waiver and one of their instructors takes you out in your car... Yeah, I have a long way to go 🤯

canucklehead604

one of the few 6MTs...
West Coast Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
^ how many laps could you run at a time before needing to cool down? and how did the stock brakes hold up? i looked into Area 27 and they have a bunch of requirements or upgrades/maintenance required to run there. i assume you swapped out the brake fluid too.

and what speed did you hit on the straightaway? i was at the kart track in July, then watched the action on the main track for a while. awesome facility.

randomfrequency

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I've got the 3.3 sport, with the euro performance brakes. They held out pretty well, very little fade as far as I could tell, but I am a novice.

I didn't swap out the brake fluid(meh), performance wasn't impacted - it's more of the durability and lifespan of the fluid, which if you heat it very high will increase the amount of water it absorbs in a shorter period of time.

190 kph on the straightaway, once. That was .. terrifying. I usually got to about 160/175 before having to brake.

One person mentioned "I could catch you on the straight away, but after the first turn you were just gone.. what do you have in there?" 😂

The required 'upgrades', well, no one was checking. Also the sport version had them anyways(brake vents, etc), other than the brake fluid(need to confirm that one).

I think just about after midday the car started leaving the fans on when we finished lapping and pulled into the pit- temps were as reported earlier, never went above what I normally experience day to day.

The car will register 400lbs of torque though..

canucklehead604

one of the few 6MTs...
West Coast Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
190 kph on the straightaway, once. That was .. terrifying. I usually got to about 160/175 before having to brake.

One person mentioned "I could catch you on the straight away, but after the first turn you were just gone.. what do you have in there?" 😂
^ sounds like a blast.

last year i hit 220 kmh (or was it 230...) on a track in Portugal in a Cayman GTS. awesome time. definitely gets the heart pounding.

the pro hit over 230 on the intro lap to show me the track. he definitely carried more speed onto the front straight.

Last edited:

Husky

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Took mine up to area 27 in July, the sport mode was probably way better at shifting than I ever would be.

They have the option at the end where you can sign a waiver and one of their instructors takes you out in your car... Yeah, I have a long way to go 🤯
Yeah, it's pretty eye opening (and sometimes terrifying) what a professional or highly experienced driver can do on a track, especially when he/she is driving your car and you thought maybe you weren't doing too badly, haha. It's also scarier being the passenger of course.
I remember getting a ride in a BMW M4, driven by one of their instructors, around the NH speedway road coarse. It was amazing! I may have left a dent in the floor from trying to brake, haha. He made it look like a walk in the park.

randomfrequency

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I .. kind of knew what I was getting into with it, and what they were capable of. Different being in the passenger side, but I was too busy being analytical about what he was doing and taking notes in my head to be scared. 🤔

Also, I really don't like being in the passenger seat, the driver's seat is much more comfortable.

randomfrequency

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
The time it took to get to 190 and the amount of braking I had to do set off the ABS and collision alarms when the driver ahead of me wasn't going that speed.

Also, if I never feel the ABS go off again, I will be happy about that. On the drive back, some asshats from Alberta in a giant truck slammed to a halt in front of me when I had the adaptive cruise control on. Made me rethink what to set the follow distance to in the future.

Aquineas

4th Genesis
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Georgetown, TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
The time it took to get to 190 and the amount of braking I had to do set off the ABS and collision alarms when the driver ahead of me wasn't going that speed.

Also, if I never feel the ABS go off again, I will be happy about that. On the drive back, some asshats from Alberta in a giant truck slammed to a halt in front of me when I had the adaptive cruise control on. Made me rethink what to set the follow distance to in the future.

Really don't get the stupidity of some people sometime.

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums