The Genesis G70 is a 2019 Car and Driver 10Best Award Winner!

Spanky61

Been here awhile...
NM
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
True, but I'd rather them accept the award and tell everyone about it then not. Might as well get more people salivating over the car as it should be arriving more widespread over the next couple of months...
Got to have a little fun with it. No sense in looking at it in a dim light.:twins:

Law of; supply and demand!!:spoton:

Van_Nik_75

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Vancouver, BC
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
You forget how much crap the dealers and states gave Tesla when they first tried to do direct sales!
The one thing that Tesla had going for them when setting up a direct sales model that Genesis did not was that Tesla as a brand new car company never sold through dealers. Yes, they had to overcome resistance on a state by state level but they didn't need to deal with pissing off pre-existing Tesla dealerships.

Genesis on the other had faced a completely different challenge. They were an established brand, more or less, selling Genesis cars through existing Hyundai dealerships. Trying to set up a direct sales model in the US like in Canada was likely too difficult to overcome.

Toddasaurus

Hasn't posted much yet...
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
How old is Tesla? This article is from 2018 Tesla is currently fighting for the right to sell its cars directly in 8 states
They still don’t have it together.
My only point was that a sales model like Tesla's, or Genesis of Canada, would have a good reason to run into snags. You're also avoiding the fact that they were able to sell directly to states relatively quickly, initially. It wasn't until later when dealerships started complaining about not being able to sell Tesla that the current restrictions came into play. One more thing: 42 states is still more than what Genesis USA can do, and those 8 other states have ways around it to where you can still purchase a Tesla, albeit in not as streamlined a manner (though still easier than travelling 1000 miles [in my case] just to buy the car from another state).

Genesis USA's current sales model, on the other hand, could've been rolled out more smoothly. They only have themselves to blame for the delays we are seeing, as they had the resources, but not the forsight, to communicate and plan out their branding accordingly for each state; hence, they're "blowing it." That said, if they had a much more consumer friendly and radically new model, such as GCa and Tesla, then I would be giving them way more slack.

Toddasaurus

Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
The one thing that Tesla had going for them when setting up a direct sales model that Genesis did not was that Tesla as a brand new car company never sold through dealers. Yes, they had to overcome resistance on a state by state level but they didn't need to deal with pissing off pre-existing Tesla dealerships.

Genesis on the other had faced a completely different challenge. They were an established brand, more or less, selling Genesis cars through existing Hyundai dealerships. Trying to set up a direct sales model in the US like in Canada was likely too difficult to overcome.
Agreed on both points. In fact, I'm sure the only reason Tesla was able do direct sales is that they were not officially considered a mass production automotive company for quite some time, so they never had to have dealers and were able to squeeze through some legal loopholes that current manufacturers are stuck behind. I never expected Genesis to follow the same path as the aforementioned entities; however, I think that type of consumer focused sales model will eventually become commonplace and most consumers would welcome it.

Cowtown

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Greater Victoria, Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Back on the topic of 10... the Honda Acord was also on this and Tesla was not.
The Accord is a good looking car, competitive for quality, performance and features for sure. I haven't really paid much mind to it over the years but any I've driven have always been good. It was on my list for my cross shop but was dropped in the final cut as the only FWD vehicle on the list.

Slip_Angle

Registered Member
Winnipeg
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
The Accord is a good looking car, competitive for quality, performance and features for sure. I haven't really paid much mind to it over the years but any I've driven have always been good. It was on my list for my cross shop but was dropped in the final cut as the only FWD vehicle on the list.
Same. I had the Accord on my shop list and test drove it with the 10 speed and 2.0T. Really nice car but after having the ATS, I can no longer go without AWD...

canucklehead604

West Coast Canada
^ yeah, i tested out the '18 Accord Sport as well, 2.0T 6MT (of course). plenty of power - more than the G70 2.0T - but i just couldn't get past the interior/plastics, the massive-feeling size of it, and the slab-style back bench. i detested the factory 19" wheels as well. plus, Honda was $4k behind on their trade-in valuation which meant i'd have to private sale my previous car. crazy trunk space though, but i didn't need that amount of practicality and i was not about to compromise on everything else. plus, FWD < RWD.

Electrode

Registered Member
Southeastern PA, US
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
^ yeah, i tested out the '18 Accord Sport as well, 2.0T 6MT (of course). plenty of power - more than the G70 2.0T - but i just couldn't get past the interior/plastics, the massive-feeling size of it, and the slab-style back bench. i detested the factory 19" wheels as well. plus, Honda was $4k behind on their trade-in valuation which meant i'd have to private sale my previous car. crazy trunk space though, but i didn't need that amount of practicality and i was not about to compromise on everything else. plus, FWD < RWD.
All very true. It feels bigger than it is. No spare in the hybrid. And it has no style, even with oversized wheels on the touring trim.

SirFrederick

Registered Member
Canada
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
All very true. It feels bigger than it is. No spare in the hybrid. And it has no style, even with oversized wheels on the touring trim.
I can't get over the shape and look of the back half of the accord. Looks funny to me. No AWD is a deal breaker for me as well. It's a big car at 192.2". It has trunk space, is good on gas with regular fuel and has decent power. It's not a sporty sedan though imho and definitely not a compact sports sedan. Also, It literally took 5 minutes of being in the dealership before the salesman said Honda's sell themselves. I can't stand that.

Cowtown

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Greater Victoria, Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I can't get over the shape and look of the back half of the accord. Looks funny to me. No AWD is a deal breaker for me as well. It's a big car at 192.2". It has trunk space, is good on gas with regular fuel and has decent power. It's not a sporty sedan though imho and definitely not a compact sports sedan. Also, It literally took 5 minutes of being in the dealership before the salesman said Honda's sell themselves. I can't stand that.
Did you ask him why the hell he was bothering you then? ;-)

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.