• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

The incompetence of my local Genesis dealership...

Cgo

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I actually really enjoy doing routine maintenance on cars, especially a nice one like my G70. That said, I really don't mind not feeling obligated to use the included service. I just see this as a legitimate reason not to ever let them touch my car again.
I agree. Wrenching on cars requires learning about and knowing your car which to a car enthusiast is part of the experience. I'm an engineer and a certified gear head. I've built custom cars and hot rods for most of my life, but even folks who have basic skills can change the oil and filter. That's one of the easiest things you can do and is adds a huge piece of mind benefit. That said, I have friends who hire people to change light bulbs and I'm not joking...

That said, for this car which to me is just a nice, cruiser, I was looking forward to enjoying the free, supposedly carefree maintenance program because my freetime these days is nonexistent. Oh well.

Cgo

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Very true. I would never pay extra for the service that was paid for in the first place.

First thing I would have done is bring it to the service directors attention and if they scoffed at it talk to the general manager or the owner if necessary. A call to genesis usually results is favorable action from the dealer too as they may not want to loose the brand.

Todd have you called Beaverton Hyundai? I here they may be Genesis soon. Maybe you can have Genesis NA work a deal to have your service done there.
I've done this with my two local dealerships. I also filed four claims with Genesis Corporate with limited results. Genesis read one of my rants on social media and called me last week to offer some sort of support. They've offered to reimburse me for repairs to something a dealer messed up but acknowledged that they are receiving numerous complaints about US dealership experiences. They also indicated that although they are trying, they have limited to no control due to legal matters. The kicker was that the rep told me that it will be years if ever before the Hyundai dealership culture changes. They also realize that this issue is widespread, frequent, and hurting their efforts in creating a true luxury brand.

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Very true. I would never pay extra for the service that was paid for in the first place.

First thing I would have done is bring it to the service directors attention and if they scoffed at it talk to the general manager or the owner if necessary. A call to genesis usually results is favorable action from the dealer too as they may not want to loose the brand.

Todd have you called Beaverton Hyundai? I here they may be Genesis soon. Maybe you can have Genesis NA work a deal to have your service done there.

I had been dealing with their service manager for quite some time leading up to their valet service, and at this point I just don't even care. I don't want to waste any more time or frustration even talking to them. I considered bringing it up to Genesis Corporate, but even that is beginning to wear me down after dealing with them regarding my warranty. Honestly, I'm afraid that they'll somehow screw me over even more if they find out I'm performing oil changes on my own, and not having some certified shop do it. I just don't trust Genesis, or my local dealer, anymore.

I'd be interested to see what Beaverton Hyundai says about valet service, or even service in general. I may give them a call.

Cgo

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I called every dealership within 100 miles to gauge their knowledge and responses. To my dismay, when I asked about valet and loaners, only one knew what I was talking about and were nice about it. That was Alexandria Genesis. I also asked about the oil and all were perplexed. The only thing they could say was that they use whatever the oil cap says... lol I then asked whether conventional or synthetic and again, they were all fairly confused about what I was asking. So, no. Not worth the hassle. If simple oil questions perplex the service managers, then how can they handle a major issue? Simple. They follow the step by step procedures if they can find them which in most cases now days instructs them to start removing and replacing things until the symptoms go away. Theres almost no knowledge or understanding of how things work or what could cause certain issues.

I had been dealing with their service manager for quite some time leading up to their valet service, and at this point I just don't even care. I don't want to waste any more time or frustration even talking to them. I considered bringing it up to Genesis Corporate, but even that is beginning to wear me down after dealing with them regarding my warranty. Honestly, I'm afraid that they'll somehow screw me over even more if they find out I'm performing oil changes on my own, and not having some certified shop do it. I just don't trust Genesis, or my local dealer, anymore.

I'd be interested to see what Beaverton Hyundai says about valet service, or even service in general. I may give them a call.

Michael_V

Registered Member
Bawstin, MA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Honestly, I'm afraid that they'll somehow screw me over even more if they find out I'm performing oil changes on my own, and not having some certified shop do it.
The old Hyundai warranty stated (something to the effect) that if the cause of the damage could be traced to your work, then the warranty would be void. Otherwise you should be good to go.
ie. brakes fail, but you did the last 4 oil changes. (one has nothing to do with the other, as far as I'm concerned).
I've yet to read the warranty as it relates to our cars..

Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums