• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Trade Value = no bueno

TurtleBoy

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Colorado
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!

Regor60

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
I think you are confusing realized and unrealized gains. They are both real gains it is just a matter of how they are accounted for. "Paper" gains are just as
So if someone does not see as you they are a troll?
My portfolio increased last year too but right now the value is on paper. If goes up and down and is only paper until cashed in and sold.
I see you had no comment about the gain or loss of a painting with an appraised value. You would have made money even if sold much lower than "value".
Time to let it go as neither is changing the mind of the other.
l.
Semantics. It is all just paper until you have cash in hand. The grocery store does not care how much your portfolio increased. Those gains you had in 2007 would not buy you too many cans of beans in 2009.

Just as long as you understand that continuing to hold an investment is just as much an incremental investment decision as a decision to sell.

Cgo

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
All cars are big, depreciating assets unless they are special collector cars. That said, I'm a little surprised at how bad the depreciation is on this car. I'm just glad I didnt pay close to MSRP. I think I got a pretty good deal. One of my co workers only got $2k off MSRP... that's a huge hit.

I have been flirting with the idea to get rid of it due to the dealership fiascos I've experienced. It's just soured the ownership experience.

Also, I'm semi retired now and getting tired of the stress so thinking of downsizing everything and moving to the country. This is an extra car that we dont need. Our other cars are paid off.

The private sale price isnt that bad and I'd probably only lose a couple grand. So, may do that.

Husky

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I can't say I'm too surprised... Nevertheless, it's quite the bummer to see it.

Gotta admit I'm toying with the idea of trading my G70. It's up and running now; but, I'm just so soured in my repair experience (both from the dealership and how tedious it was for me to do it on my own) that I'm really turned off on the car right now.

I was hoping that at least 42k was realistic (3.3 AWD Sport) but it looks like I'm just dreaming.

I've got high hopes for the possibility of a new Mazda sports car.... (Again, still probably dreaming).

Here's a rumor...

Rumor: 350-HP Mazda 4-Door Coupe Coming 2022, Debut Just Months Away?
Whoa! Say it ain't so Todd. Sorry to hear you're feeling that way, but understandable I guess. Maybe you'll fall back in love with it after some seat time 😉

Beefer

I’m faster
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Whoa! Say it ain't so Todd. Sorry to hear you're feeling that way, but understandable I guess. Maybe you'll fall back in love with it after some seat time 😉
Yeah...not getting that at all. Car is back in perfect condition. Do a JB4 and just enjoy it. It’s a fantastic car.

You got a rush/high going through that mess...just forget it and enjoy!!!!

NLJ

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Yeah...not getting that at all. Car is back in perfect condition. Do a JB4 and just enjoy it. It’s a fantastic car.

You got a rush/high going through that mess...just forget it and enjoy!!!!
Yeah but he wanted to do some extensive mods and now he's not going to after his experience. So I get how he feels!

Beefer

I’m faster
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Hopefully with some time I'll calm down. But @NLJ is right, the mods I was planning kind of went down the drain, and the dream ain't so dreamy anymore.
Your dream is in your garage. Take a deep breath...go for a nice spirited drive somewhere...and enjoy.

1...You’ll realize (again) what an awesome ride it is.
2...You’ll save a fuckload of money.
3...No more stress.

If modding is your true passion...perhaps this was your turn in life to appreciate/enjoy other stuff (as you age) :)

Whatever your choice may be...good luck. Blast some Iron Maiden!!!

EdsNotHere

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Your dream is in your garage. Take a deep breath...go for a nice spirited drive somewhere...and enjoy.

1...You’ll realize (again) what an awesome ride it is.
2...You’ll save a fuckload of money.
3...No more stress.

If modding is your true passion...perhaps this was your turn in life to appreciate/enjoy other stuff (as you age) :)

Whatever your choice may be...good luck. Blast some Iron Maiden!!!
yea. If I was there I’d have a full tank of gas and heading up Windy Ridge towards Mt. St. Helens. That road in that car Holy hell. 😎😜

Husky

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
You can still do plenty of other, less risky/difficult mods.
  • Springs
  • Sway bars
  • Intake
  • Cat back exhaust
  • JB4
In no particular order. I realize you know all this, just reminding 😉
After what you've done, this stuff would be a cinch.

carguy75

Registered Member
Atlanta, Georgia
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
Just for curiosity,

I shopped for trade value. Checked Carvana, Carmax, BMW, Acura, Lexus, and even Kia...

Best offer I got was $36k, worst was Carvana for $29k! Wow.

I thought my Chevy Camaro was bad. I was surprised given all the good press and awards. Genesis has a long way to go to break the mold and be recognized as a true luxury brand.

For context, my car has 2500 miles, is perfect, and is a 2019 3.3T sport with all the packages minus AWD which hurt the value for my area. MSRP was $51k and purchase price was $45k (luckily).

Looks to be about a 10 to 20k depreciation right off the lot depending on how good a deal you get.

Plus, cars are not popular right now.

I need to stop buying brand new cars...
After my last two new car purchases I have learned to just be able to live with buying a used car with low miles that is about 2-3 years old, since I will still have modern ride at a discount price. I only paid about $25k on my 2015 Genesis 5.0 Ultimate with 45k miles in 2018. The car was in nearly new condition. However, I swap cars a lot(every 5 years or so) so buying new usually just set me up to be upside down on nearly all my trades. I only started to break even on trades after i started to trade in used cars when my last new car purchased was totaled out in an accident and I started to buy used.

New cars are nice to own, but are bad investments if you swap cars often. In that case it would be better to lease if you must have the newest ride every 3 years or so.

Last edited:

PMCErnie

Been here a long time....
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
After my last two new car purchases I have learned to just be able to live with buying a used car with low miles that is about 2-3 years old, since I will still have modern ride at a discount price. I only paid about $25k on my 2015 Genesis 5.0 Ultimate with 45k miles in 2018. The car was in nearly new condition. However, I swap cars a lot(every 5 years or so) so buying new usually just set me up to be upside down on nearly all my trades. I only started to break even on trades after i started to trade in used cars when my last new car purchased was totaled out in an accident and I started to buy used.

New cars are nice to own, but are bad investments if you swap cars often. In that case it would be better to lease if you must have the newest ride every 3 years or so.
I pretty much agree with one exception. I wouldn’t buy a used car with more than about 20 thou miles on the clock.

carguy75

Registered Member
Atlanta, Georgia
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
I pretty much agree with one exception. I wouldn’t buy a used car with more than about 20 thou miles on the clock.
I agree that the less the miles the better. However, it is hard to find some models(5.0 ultimate for example) with particular options with 20k miles or less that are 2-3 years old.

Buying used have it limitations such as finding a car that is exactly what you want whether it is color,options, mileage, condition, etc. I got lucky to find a good deal on my 2015 5.0 ultimate in black, however I would have paid a bit more for one with less miles on it. Overall, still a happy camper. Next, I will be buying a used G80 sport most likely in the future if the 3.3T turns out to be an reliable engine over time.

CaliG70

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
All vehicles loose 20-30% in the first year, and will loose 50% by the third year because initial leases are 36 months and residual estimates are based on a 50% loss, which directly effects resale.

vehicles that retain a higher than normal resale do so after year 3. No point in being concerned with the resale of your vehicle until that point.
I feel like for premium cars in general, you easily lose 20% once it’s off the lot.

IV2019

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
I feel like for premium cars in general, you easily lose 20% once it’s off the lot.
I agree that it seems premium cars lose value much faster. Prior to my current car, I had two performance oriented cars. I sold one after it was 5 years old and only lost 35% off original purchase price brand new. The more recent car, I kept for 7 years (also bought it new), and it only lost 35% of its value (65% residual value after 7 years is amazing). I was shocked to see my current car worth barely over 50 percent after 4 years and with barely over 20k miles on it.

Hesitant to buy a g70 new seeing the depreciation, especially if I don't end up keeping it for a long time. I'm still debating...

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums