Transmission problems

Misa3.8

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
[QUOTE="Misa3.8, post: 326036, member: 27018
The fact you answered that with a picture :LOL: I'm stoked to see you can do this. Rspected is right i've always ever heard you have to replace the whole trans.
[/QUOTE]
Seeing is believing lol.

PMCErnie

Been here a long time....
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
Nope i drive with the Manuel settings all the time and it goes up to 8th gear, Mine's the lambada 2 engine 333hp.
The Lambda (not lambada) is the Genesis V6 engine. The ‘12 4.6 V8 is called Tau and makes 385 hp. If you own a 4.6 that’s your engine.

Misa3.8

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
The Lambda (not lambada) is the Genesis V6 engine. The ‘12 4.6 V8 is called Tau and makes 385 hp. If you own a 4.6 that’s your engine.
You're right but i think its going to be the same 8speed transmission on both

Rspected

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Correct. ALL ‘12 models came with 8spd transmissions.
Yeah I did the research and it is the same tranny that's why I'm stoked. I have a service appt set up in an hour. How they have the solenoids and pan in stock to do it today

Rspected

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
You're right but i think its going to be the same 8speed transmission on both
So I went in for service today... waited like 3 hours and they came back saying they didnt/couldn't do anything since they couldnt read my TCU... I have the BTR flashed TCU which is supposed to be OEM (otherwise how the hell would my car be driving?) But I guess they cant read it which means the dealer cant just do the work... left me confused as hell. They need codes to be able to do a job a customer is asking of them? That's wack. So I guess my only option now is to take it to an independent shop which scares the hell out of me.

Misa, how did you source the new solenoids? I cant find them online for purchase anywhere. Also could you maybe DM me or tell me here how exactly you did this yourself?

Misa3.8

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
So I went in for service today... waited like 3 hours and they came back saying they didnt/couldn't do anything since they couldnt read my TCU... I have the BTR flashed TCU which is supposed to be OEM (otherwise how the hell would my car be driving?) But I guess they cant read it which means the dealer cant just do the work... left me confused as hell. They need codes to be able to do a job a customer is asking of them? That's wack. So I guess my only option now is to take it to an independent shop which scares the hell out of me.

Misa, how did you source the new solenoids? I cant find them online for purchase anywhere. Also could you maybe DM me or tell me here how exactly you did this yourself?
Hey i got the part number here Hyundai Parts - Genuine OEM Hyundai Parts and Accessories Online they have diagrams of everything , i just looked up the valve body and ordered them at my local dealer

Misa3.8

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type

Attachments

Rspected

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type

Misa3.8

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
How did you know which ones to buy? Or did you just change them all? And did you follow any guides to do the repair or do you just know how to do it already?
I didn't at first i just knew it was solenoid a on my scanner but i didn't know which ones till i emailed hyundai and they told me that solenoid a could be 3 solenoids so i changed 2 of them and i also changed 4th and 5th one's because when i tested the solenoids they did not open.and honestly there was no guides i kinda just used common sence from working on other automatic transmissions . i also changed my filter since the pan was off already .

Misa3.8

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
are there any differences between the 8 speed tranny for the 3.8 and the 5.0? or same part numbers?
I believe that they have the same tranny so part numbers should be the same. if you put your cars details on the link i sent you, it should tell you if the parts fit your model.

Cali Gen

Registered Member
Bay Area, California
Genesis Model Type
I believe that they have the same tranny so part numbers should be the same. if you put your cars details on the link i sent you, it should tell you if the parts fit your model.
i ask becuase in the future i want to swap my 3.8 for the 5.0. i know its not a 2jz lol but i figure its a pretty straight forward swap. just didnt know if there would be any compnents that i would need to change to handle the bigger engine or if i would just need a 5.0 tcu

Misa3.8

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
i ask becuase in the future i want to swap my 3.8 for the 5.0. i know its not a 2jz lol but i figure its a pretty straight forward swap. just didnt know if there would be any compnents that i would need to change to handle the bigger engine or if i would just need a 5.0 tcu
[/QUOTE i get you i wanna do the same to mine or better yet switch over to the g70 .

Rspected

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
I didn't at first i just knew it was solenoid a on my scanner but i didn't know which ones till i emailed hyundai and they told me that solenoid a could be 3 solenoids so i changed 2 of them and i also changed 4th and 5th one's because when i tested the solenoids they did not open.and honestly there was no guides i kinda just used common sence from working on other automatic transmissions . i also changed my filter since the pan was off already .
Dealer just told me today there was no filter.. is it in the pan like I thought? And ok I might just have to buy all the solenoids (since I dont know which could be bad) and have a tranny shop put them in

Misa3.8

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Dealer just told me today there was no filter.. is it in the pan like I thought? And ok I might just have to buy all the solenoids (since I dont know which could be bad) and have a tranny shop put them in
Yeah its in the pan it will run you about 170, i found some online for cheaper though. i would change all of them .

Rspected

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Yeah its in the pan it will run you about 170, i found some online for cheaper though. i would change all of them .
How long did it take you to do the job? So I dont get waxed on labor hours by a shop

Rspected

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Shouldn't take more then 3 hours
Did you document the steps you did or could you do a brief write up of the DIY? I have a mechanic I trust that is looking into the procedure for me but he said it would be better if he could get some kind of DIY instructions since he doesnt normally do tranny work