Worst Customer Experience In The Auto Market

Qship

Registered Member
Ontario Canada
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
Curious, what is funny about it? The buying experience it's great, and so is the service, follow up and communication. As I said, it's a great experience. They would refer to me as Mr. Xxxxx when I called (caller ID) and ask if I was calling about my G37. Not pushy and very honest.
I find this interesting since that's the exact same experience I've received from my local Hyundai dealer regarding my Genesis.
I've called to make a service appointment and I'm greeted with "Good morning/Afternoon Mr. xxxxxxxx, how can we help you today?" I mention what I'd like to have done and it's followed up with "No problem, we can take care of that for you, this is for your 2010 Genesis 3.8 Technology package, correct?" I've even mentioned to them that I'll be supplying my own parts and asked if they would still install them "Oh, most definitely, not a problem. If you supply 'em, we'll install 'em". They also provide a web link for a video from the mechanic working on the car that walks you through their inspection, what they've found, issues, preventative maintenance items, or simply nothing at all. No pressure, no "need" to have to do additional service you don't want to do. It's been a fantastic experience from the first visit.
Clarington Hyundai in Bowmanville Ontario Canada

MitchTobias

Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
Except with Genesis, it doesn't appear to be just the odd bad dealership here and there. There have been numerous reports on this board about Hyundai dealerships around the country that are not providing the level of service that Genesis promised. I had issues with the two Virginia dealerships in the Washington, DC metro area I interacted with when I purchased my car, and I had problems with three separate dealerships in the Miami metro area when I went to service my 2019 G80 Sport during the 20+ months that I owned the car. It got to the point where I just had had enough and sold it back to the dealership in July and bought a Maserati Quattroporte GranLusso.

Although this has nothing to do with my dealership(s) experience, I had to chuckle this morning when I received an email from Genesis providing me with my monthly status report on the vehicle I no longer have. It provided me with the current odometer reading as of Sept. 5th, and informed me that the vehicle is operating normally and that no maintenance is required at this time. How wonderful to learn, lol. If I was an evil person, I'd sign into the MyGenesis app and see if I can still start the car (where ever it may be), lol.

Just a further indication of some of the glitches in the Genesis ownership experience. I actually hope that Genesis can get its act together because I like their vehicles, especially the look of the redesigned 2021 G80. I can envision myself in another Genesis vehicle if and when they get their stand-alone dealerships and reports of interactions with dealership personnel improve.
Hello. New to the forum. I was wondering if you ever got good service anywhere in Northern Virginia. Now a happy (so far) owner of a 2018 G90 but worry a bit about my wife going to the dealerships. Would you please tell me where you had poor service?

Jenesis

Hasn't posted much yet...
I had exactly the type of buying experience I expected from Genesis dealerships in Los Angeles - low grade used car buying experience from Hyundai in shady parts of town.

I don't want to name them because I feel sorry for the dealerships and because it's not their fault. But I will call out Hyundai/Genesis executives. They are idiot amateurs. The CEO really should consider cleaning house. I fully expect Hyundai dealerships to maximize misery in customer experience. Before I walk into a Hyundai/Genesis I take a deep breath and count all my blessings. It's kind of like how I don't complain when a fast food worker messes up on my order because I'm not at fancy dining, except with Hyundai they do it deliberately. Their job sucks and they deal with equally crappy customers as well and I'm sure they live with disappointment every day from fickle customers. But that's their freakin job and they're adults. JFC from changing their original offers last minute to ignoring calls on the signing days and then sending text messages to backtrack on the deal and increase price like teenage girls breaking up with their bf through Snap.

This isn't on the dealerships but on Genesis. It's comical how oblivious Genesis is to their own brand awareness. They should have never let Hyundai dealerships handle their luxury brand. The Hyundai executives who completely botched separating Genesis from Hyundai need to be fired. They should have taken care of this before rolling out their vehicles. No person in Hyundai sales uniform should ever sell a Genesis. Look what they are doing now. They're getting sued by Hyundai dealers to stop Genesis from going stand alone, like a crackhead hooker trying to snare her sucker customer. I just don't understand how the CEO let this happen. It's such a shame because the company has great engineers and designers. It's always the leadership that's the issue.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I had exactly the type of buying experience I expected from Genesis dealerships in Los Angeles - low grade used car buying experience from Hyundai in shady parts of town.

I don't want to name them because I feel sorry for the dealerships and because it's not their fault. But I will call out Hyundai/Genesis executives. They are idiot amateurs. The CEO really should consider cleaning house. I fully expect Hyundai dealerships to maximize misery in customer experience. Before I walk into a Hyundai/Genesis I take a deep breath and count all my blessings. It's kind of like how I don't complain when a fast food worker messes up on my order because I'm not at fancy dining, except with Hyundai they do it deliberately. Their job sucks and they deal with equally crappy customers as well and I'm sure they live with disappointment every day from fickle customers. But that's their freakin job and they're adults. JFC from changing their original offers last minute to ignoring calls on the signing days and then sending text messages to backtrack on the deal and increase price like teenage girls breaking up with their bf through Snap.

This isn't on the dealerships but on Genesis. It's comical how oblivious Genesis is to their own brand awareness. They should have never let Hyundai dealerships handle their luxury brand. The Hyundai executives who completely botched separating Genesis from Hyundai need to be fired. They should have taken care of this before rolling out their vehicles. No person in Hyundai sales uniform should ever sell a Genesis. Look what they are doing now. They're getting sued by Hyundai dealers to stop Genesis from going stand alone, like a crackhead hooker trying to snare her sucker customer. I just don't understand how the CEO let this happen. It's such a shame because the company has great engineers and designers. It's always the leadership that's the issue.
Agree with some of what you say but why not name the dealer? Why say it is not their fault when they control what their sales people do? They are an independent business and neither Hyundai or Genesis can control most of the operations. If they are a crappy dealer, it is their choice.

Genesis probably should have done something in 2008 before the first models came out but franchise laws are really binding them Nothing is preventing a dealer from having top notch sales and service people. Nothing is stopping them from giving a customer a good experience. If the dealer sucks, call them on it. They don't deserve more customers.

PJ Genesis

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70

Many of my friends and family have purchased cars based on my recommendations. Although I think the G70 is a good car with amazing equipment, I will not recommend anyone purchase a Genesis based on the unresponsivenes of the entire dealer organization, from Sales to Service. Be under no illusions, you are buying a decent car, but you are not getting a high level of dealer service. The Genesis Concierge service is a poor attempt to keep you away from the dingy Hyundai dealerships. You will have to bring the car there at some point, and you will realize the type of organization you are dealing with. I shudder thinking about leaving my car there for service. Once I start feeling this way about my car, its only a matter of time before its gone.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Many of my friends and family have purchased cars based on my recommendations. Although I think the G70 is a good car with amazing equipment, I will not recommend anyone purchase a Genesis based on the unresponsivenes of the entire dealer organization, from Sales to Service. Be under no illusions, you are buying a decent car, but you are not getting a high level of dealer service. The Genesis Concierge service is a poor attempt to keep you away from the dingy Hyundai dealerships. You will have to bring the car there at some point, and you will realize the type of organization you are dealing with. I shudder thinking about leaving my car there for service. Once I start feeling this way about my car, its only a matter of time before its gone.
Many here have been pleased with their dealer experience. Sure, there are some bad ones but also some good ones. When you state "the entire dealer organization" I have to think you are FOS and have little experience. Dingy? My present dealer is like a palace compared to my Mercedes dealer.
Generalizations are generally wrong.

PJ Genesis

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Many here have been pleased with their dealer experience. Sure, there are some bad ones but also some good ones. When you state "the entire dealer organization" I have to think you are FOS and have little experience. Dingy? My present dealer is like a palace compared to my Mercedes dealer.
Generalizations are generally wrong.
I meant the specific dealers I've seen in the Southern NY region. They are dingy. Unimpressed with the sales and service teams of my specifc dealer as well as the first dealer we were not able to complete a transaction, which included trying to sell us a car with a dent in the rear door you could not miss. My main point is, the cars are fine, but don't expect a premium dealer experience, they just aren't set up for it, unless your due diligence proves otherwise.
And when you say I am FOS and have little experience, I've owned about 35 cars, including 3 Porsches, 3 Audis, 3 BMWs, 1 Jag, 1 Mercedes, 2 Acuras, 1 Inifiniti a few Fords, a couple of Toyotas, Hondas, Nissans, Mitsubishi, Pontiacs, Buick and VWs. All but three bought new. So been there, done that a few times.

Last edited:

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I meant the specific dealers I've seen in the Southern NY region. They are dingy. Unimpressed with the sales and service teams of my specifc dealer as well as the first dealer we were not able to complete a transaction, which included trying to sell us a car with a dent in the rear door you could not miss. My main point is, the cars are fine, but don't expect a premium dealer experience, they just aren't set up for it, unless your due diligence proves otherwise.
And when you say I am FOS and have little experience, I've owned about 35 cars, including 3 Porsches, 3 Audis, 3 BMWs, 1 Jag, 1 Mercedes, 2 Acuras, 1 Inifiniti a few Fords, a couple of Toyotas, Hondas, Nissans, Mitsubishi, Pontiacs, Buick and VWs. All but three bought new. So been there, done that a few times.
Say what you mean, mean what you say. Your experience is not the entire dealer organization. Thank you for clarifying,

Mcc

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Los Angeles
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90

I don't want to name them because I feel sorry for the dealerships and because it's not their fault.
This is the biggest bunch of bologna I’ve heard in a while. For someone who is so upset with the dealer experience and you. don’t want to say who it is? Sure let someone else get stuck with your lousy dealer. Furthermore why is being a lousy dealer not that dealer’s fault? Finally what do do think that corporate can do legally about the network, that they are not already starting to do? There are some facts involved with how franchises can be handled but i see you don’t let those interfere with your conclusions.

Jenesis

This is the biggest bunch of bologna I’ve heard in a while. For someone who is so upset with the dealer experience and you. don’t want to say who it is? Sure let someone else get stuck with your lousy dealer. Furthermore why is being a lousy dealer not that dealer’s fault? Finally what do do think that corporate can do legally about the network, that they are not already starting to do? There are some facts involved with how franchises can be handled but i see you don’t let those interfere with your conclusions.
Out of pity. I mean it. I pity them. It may sound condescending but I fully expected horrific service from unscrupulous salesman who fit all the stereotypes of a used car salesman. But I also know they really have no real alternative to their career. For F sakes they're selling Hyundais for a living. It's a miserable job. I just imagine a dude doing what he's gotta do to feed his kids. Again, I went to a Hyundai dealership (albeit to buy a Genesis), and I got exactly what I expected - horrific experience. Doesn't mean my story is "fake" or "bolonga." You may disagree with my decision not to call out the MULTIPLE shady Hyundai dealers in Los Angeles area but I can imagine there might be a few great salesmen at those locations who might get swept up together. Ask yourself, do you leave a crappy yelp review for McDonalds when they forget to leave the pickles out? What would that achieve? Bring 1.5 stars down to 1? You're at McDonalds. You ordered horrific service with your horrific food. It's expected. Same is true for Hyundai.

Now, had Genesis gone standalone and their salesmen pulled this? I would not be posting about how crappy they are here. I would be posting about how I chewed out their manager and got an apology from corporate. Because Genesis is claiming to be something more than Hyundai. I might be wrong in my view, but I see this as a Hyundai corporate management problem. They need to all be fired. It's insane how they just lost complete control of the franchises over branding/image. Hyundai executives botched the new Genesis roll out. But also recognize 2021 Genesis line up are the works of awesome engineers and designers. We all know what it's like to work under sh*tty management/bosses. This is one of those times. Hyundai needs to clean house at the upper management level. They should NEVER have been in this situation in the first place. That's executive malpractice.

PFWiz

Registered Member
Lorain, Ohio
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
My dealer treats me great and always has since day one. Why you bought a car or take your car to be serviced at a subpar dealership is beyond me. I would have walked out a long time ago if it had been any different. Of course I have never understood why some people allow themselves to be treated poorly but then complain later to third parties about their poor treatment.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Out of pity. I mean it. I pity them. It may sound condescending but I fully expected horrific service from unscrupulous salesman who fit all the stereotypes of a used car salesman. But I also know they really have no real alternative to their career. For F sakes they're selling Hyundais for a living. It's a miserable job.
Yes, sounds condescending.

PMCErnie

Ancient ‘steemed Member
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
Yes, sounds condescending.
Very much so. Also the part about dealers in “shady” parts of town. Pure elitist (and worse) mentality. In short, it’s obvious who should be pitied.

Jenesis

Very much so. Also the part about dealers in “shady” parts of town. Pure elitist (and worse) mentality. In short, it’s obvious who should be pitied.
Imagine being so judgmental that the point you care enough to comment on is your disapproval of the poster's state of mind after receiving horrific treatment. That is shady part of town stuff.

PJ Genesis

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
We should stop slinging mud. This is a forum, and some of us are venting about our experiences. I overlooked the huge potholes in the dealers lot, the blaring music piped into the showroom, the lack of parking, no answers on getting a full equipment list, no answers on financing, not presenting the ad price when we priced (we had to ask for that after they priced the car), car was not ready for delivery when promised, door was dented- (we walked from that dealership), but bought one anyway elsewhere, with much more responsive sales team. It took 5 calls to arrange for all season tires post purchase, several calls for routine service, loaners dropped off mid-morning, may as well not bother, faded trim, flaking wheels with a bush league plan to fix and a service dept that will not return your calls. I have to go there in person to get anything done. So I have to say, the only thing they delivered on was my first impression. The car though, is stunning.

Jenesis

Imagine posting replies about a bad experience in a thread titled "worst customer experience in the auto market" and some self-righteous boomer tells you to get off his lawn.

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums