2009 sedan EGR monitor not ready for smog check

G-792780

Thank you all of the recent bloggers because I have the same exact issue. I wrote to Hyundai USA and complained about the money I am about to pay the dealer to do the "drive cycle" a ridiculous requirement that is almost impossible to accomplish. I also called Bobby and he offered to talk to the Dublin dealer in Northern CA.

xiaphin

KDModerator
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Bay Area
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
Same issue here with 2010 3.8. Local shop ran the Hyundai drive cycle 4 times over the weekend and it wouldn't pass. This is after I tried performing the cycle numerous times. This issue effects both 2009 and 2010 models. Hyundai changed the OBDII system for 2011 which is why 2011 plus models don't have this issue. I'm reaching out to Dublin dealer this week to see if they can help me out. I only need it to pass so I can sell the car, wish I would have sold it before moving out to California.

Timbritton7

Genesis Model Type
Hi all. I have a 2010 Hyundai Genesis 3.8L. I just moved to LA from Minnesota and like everyone else, I cannot pass the smog test because my OBDII monitor is not ready. I drove another 115 miles and did a drive cycle suggested by a guy at autozone but that didn’t work. So I was going to do the Kia drive cycle (although Idk where I’m going to go to do that in LA). Honestly I just want to get this over with. How much was it for the Hyundai dealership to fix the problem? Thanks.

xiaphin

KDModerator
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Bay Area
Genesis Model Type
Hi all. I have a 2010 Hyundai Genesis 3.8L. I just moved to LA from Minnesota and like everyone else, I cannot pass the smog test because my OBDII monitor is not ready. I drove another 115 miles and did a drive cycle suggested by a guy at autozone but that didn’t work. So I was going to do the Kia drive cycle (although Idk where I’m going to go to do that in LA). Honestly I just want to get this over with. How much was it for the Hyundai dealership to fix the problem? Thanks.

Dublin Hyundai was able to get the monitor ready yesterday. Cost me $185.

They said the important steps are the 55mph to 40mph.

Edwinh1

Genesis Model Type
Hi I have a 2009 Genesis 3.8 sedan, it has no faulty codes or any problems, but the California smog won't pass due to the EGR monitor not being ready, I have driven the car for about 400 miles and it still is not ready. I want to know is there a specific way i need to drive or how long should i drive for it to pass, Any help will be helpfull
Thanks

Edwinh1

Genesis Model Type
Drive to 55 mph once your there throw it on 4th gear push 80% gas till 65 and let gas go until back to 55 and throw it back on drive repeat that 10 times today is sep 17 -19 it took me 250 miles before i found it online thru smog place just for genesis and it passed in the next 20 miles

Edwinh1

Genesis Model Type
Thank me later i have 2009 hyundai genisis sedan 3.8
Drive to 55 mph once your there throw it on 4th gear push 80% gas till 65 and let gas go until back to 55 and throw it back on drive repeat that 10 times today is sep 17 -19 it took me 250 miles before i found it online thru smog place just for genesis and it passed in the next 20 miles

MickiG

Genesis Model Type
Does that mean I have to put it in the manual mode? Don’t quite know what you are saying. I’m having the same problem getting the car smogged.

smwalker

Hasn't posted much yet...
Azusa, CA
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
If someone is still having a problem with SMOG I encourage you to contact the California BAR referee. They exempted the Kia Borrego for 2009 from an EGR test I bet they would do the same with e Genisis with a bit of research. Like determining that the 3.8 Borrego and 3.8 Genesis ECM are basically the same in terms of software and components. The only thing they do not have is proof from hyundai that the correct drive cycle to get the EGR to set is dangerous for a consumer to do in real life like they had with the Borrego.

bmwake

Genesis Model Type
I have this same issue with my 2010 Genesis 3.8 Sedan. Has anyone had any luck with the BAR referee?

user0209

I just got a 2012 Gen 3.8. All the codes are OK, except for EVAP which is ok for California and this infamous EGR which is show Incomplete / not ready.

Question for Edwinh1 above or anyone:

Does that drive cycle require you to stay at 55 and 65 for any length of time, eg 4 minutes? Or it's imply a 3 seconds at those speeds?

It still seems dangerous as you basically accelerate from 55 to 65, let go the gas and drift, repeat 10 times. Do I understand it correctly?

Also,

Why can't we do this with the car jacked up and and placed on 4 jack stands? The wheels will roll freely. No?

user0209

Sheesh... I have already spent a considerable amount of time and gas money in trying to find a solution for my "EGR and/or VVT" not complete/ready, thus Failed smog check.

I have tried going to a dealership service dept -- who asked for $189 up front for diagnosis and would recommend a fix, despite my explanation of the issue. He didn't seem to understand it. I fear that they would come up with a thousand dollar fix for some random VVT issue and I'd be back to square one -- either by saying no or taking no more than a chance with it. Is this not a well known issue?

Tried going to a Hyundai specialized shop in Korean District. A young guy there, seemingly quick and knowledgeable at first, used his OBD2 and showed me that EGR isn't available on his device and VVT was some sort of "secondary" non essential part and it'd be up to smog checker's "leniency" to pass or fail the test!!!! And sent me away.

After talking to a smog checker, it seems to be nonsense. Smog stations all use State-issued systems to check. There's no different standards or subjective part on the technician.

I tried some of the drive cycles found on here. Hard as hell. Still shows a red X on the EGR line.

user0209

I have a 2010 genesis coupe 3.8. I just literally did this drive cycle and it worked for me. My egr completed after the second time doing it.

Here is the link:
Really? But Mine is 2012 Gen Sedan 3.8.

How closely did you follow the drive instructions?

On your second time (in the same session, and Not on different day, right?) did you pick up at step 5?

I Don't know how you set 4th gear for the Sedan.

Is Accelerate/decelerate 10x too much, too dangerous, on CA freeways?

could you give me input, insight?

Last edited:

Qship

Registered Member
Ontario Canada
Genesis Model Type
Really? But Mine is 2012 Gen Sedan 3.8.

How closely did you follow the drive instructions?

On your second time (in the same session, and Not on different day, right?) did you pick up at step 5?

I Don't know how you set 4th gear for the Sedan.

could you give me input, insight?
To put the car in 4th gear, you need to move the shifter into manual mode and pull back until you see "4" on the dash so you know you're in 4th gear. speed up almost flooring it to 65 and just take your foot off the gas and move the shifter back into "D" until the car gets back down to 55, then move the shifter back into manual mode and pull back until "4" is displayed again, speed up almost flooring it to 65 and just repeat the cycle up to 10 times.

smwalker

Azusa, CA
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!

what part of CA are you in?
When I did the borrego referenced earlier I went out at like 3am on sunday morning (after all the drunks are off the road)
With the pandemic should be even more desolate out there in the off hours.

user0209

To put the car in 4th gear, you need to move the shifter into manual mode and pull back until you see "4" on the dash so you know you're in 4th gear. speed up almost flooring it to 65 and just take your foot off the gas and move the shifter back into "D" until the car gets back down to 55, then move the shifter back into manual mode and pull back until "4" is displayed again, speed up almost flooring it to 65 and just repeat the cycle up to 10 times.
Is that a different drive cycle than the Borrego referenced above?

I appreciate your input.

user0209

I would think that putting the car on a roller at a mechanic shop is best for this Borrego drive cycle but my mechanic said roller cannot go that fast, 55 mph. I have no idea.

I asked about jacking the car up, he said the car (the computer thing) needs load. I didn't know car computer is already that smart. I work in computer world, it's extremely difficult to create a smart chip or program. That's why we're not seeing Tesla remotely done with what it wanna do, computer-wise.

smwalker

Azusa, CA
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
I would think that putting the car on a roller at a mechanic shop is best for this Borrego drive cycle but my mechanic said roller cannot go that fast, 55 mph. I have no idea.

I asked about jacking the car up, he said the car (the computer thing) needs load. I didn't know car computer is already that smart. I work in computer world, it's extremely difficult to create a smart chip or program. That's why we're not seeing Tesla remotely done with what it wanna do, computer-wise.
If you are set on not doing it on the freeeway check your local area for performance dyno shop. They smog rollers will go that fast they are just not equipped with all the stuff to do a sustained high speed run with braking and accelerating. Performance dyno shops can do it no problem.

joegr

Registered Member
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
...I asked about jacking the car up, he said the car (the computer thing) needs load. I didn't know car computer is already that smart. ...
Since at least the 90s (probably before) PCMs have been keeping track of engine loading. They have to to be able to keep good emissions and minimize fuel use. Now that transmissions are electronically shifted, the load is also needed to select the correct shift points.

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums