2012 Trans fluid change

OUsig

Been here awhile...
McKinney TX
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
2012+ transmissions on our cars are not ZF models.
I always did a drain and fill on my last car. Acura tl sold with 280k miles AND shifted great.
a true " flush" like they do at jiffy lube...is a no no as it can cause much more issues to the transmission. If you are talking about an old 4 speed transmission on a 1995 Chevy truck, the flush may be ok but not on the new models.
The service guy said they do not have a flush machine there at all.
Mark is correct, to replace all the fluid is a major deal and not cost effective vs doing a drain and fill every say 50k miles.

And yes you can only get 5quarts out at a time with the drain method. You can do it yourself (fluid is $25/q) give or take then drive for 5 or 10k miles and do it again. To me I am happy to pay the dealer $100 for labor vs me jacking with it.

The goal is to keep the fluid somewhat fresh. It lasts much longer than engine oil...for example. That is why most cars show 100k miles before changing it out.

Last edited:

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
... ZF (2012+) transmissions ...
Genesis Sedan Transmission history:

• 2009-2011 V6 - Aisin 6-speed transmission (Aisin was a joint venture of Toyota and Borg-Warner to make RWD transmissions for Lexus and many other brands).
  • 2009-2011 V8 - ZF 6-speed transmission (German company that makes transmissions for BMW and many other brands)
  • 2012+ all engines - Hyundai 8-speed transmission (with some minor changes/improvements along the way)

Juiceman9025

Hasn't posted much yet...
Drain and fill on 2012 models with the 8 speed. I just bought the fluid to do this myself about a month ago. Paid about 100 bucks for the fluid (6 quarts), as that is the amount that the parts department at 3 different dealers I contacted recommended.

Used my lift at work to access the bottom. I used the service manual that I recieved from dougmcp I believe. Car has to be level and running in park when you do this!!!

It has a fill hole on the side covered by a bolt, inspection plug in the top part of the pan, and a drain plug on the bottom part of the pan.

I was about to drain and fill it, but when I removes the inspection plug the fluid looked/felt good still. I have 110k on my 2012 3.8, but I still plan on changing the fluid here soon.

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Drain and fill on 2012 models with the 8 speed. I just bought the fluid to do this myself about a month ago. Paid about 100 bucks for the fluid (6 quarts), as that is the amount that the parts department at 3 different dealers I contacted recommended.

Used my lift at work to access the bottom. I used the service manual that I recieved from dougmcp I believe. Car has to be level and running in park when you do this!!!

It has a fill hole on the side covered by a bolt, inspection plug in the top part of the pan, and a drain plug on the bottom part of the pan.

I was about to drain and fill it, but when I removes the inspection plug the fluid looked/felt good still. I have 110k on my 2012 3.8, but I still plan on changing the fluid here soon.
I believe that the owners manual says the transmission holds 12.67 quarts (or 10.1 L) of GS ATF SP-IV-RR, HYUNDAI genuine
ATF SP-IV-RR or other brands meeting the above specification approved by HYUNDAI Motor Co..

What does your owners manual say?

This is one reason why some people say that the transmission fluid change is not a simple DIY job, and why some dealers discourage owners from even having the dealer do it for them unless really necessary, and they are not going to completely drain the transmission if they do it.

Juiceman9025

I believe that the owners manual says the transmission holds 12.67 quarts (or 10.1 L) of GS ATF SP-IV-RR, HYUNDAI genuine
ATF SP-IV-RR or other brands meeting the above specification approved by HYUNDAI Motor Co..

What does your owners manual say?

This is one reason why some people say that the transmission fluid change is not a simple DIY job, and why some dealers discourage owners from even having the dealer do it for them unless really necessary, and they are not going to completely drain the transmission if they do it.
Same specs in my owners manual, service manual, and verified with the dealer.

It's just a simple drain and fill. Like a lot of newer cars (chryslers, bmws, etc.). The pan has an integrated filter, so you need a whole new pan if you decide to change it. You can change if you really want to, but is not necesary.

dougmcp

Been here awhile...
Plumas Lake, CALIFORNIA
Genesis Model Type
A simple drain and fill is accomplished by either pulling the plug or dropping the pan and refilling through the fill hole until it overflows. Run to temperature check again and you're done. They use somewhere in the 5-6 qt range.
SP-IV-RR is only $11 a quart from Hyundai link https://www.hyundaipartsdeal.com/genuine/hyundai-atf-sp-iv-rr~00232-19052.html
Some pans have a changeable filter and some have the integral one that requires a new pan as well, my 2013 3.8 has an integral filter.

JerryB52

Ormond Beach, Florida
Genesis Model Type
I just had my transmission serviced In July 2017, at 64,000 miles on my 2013 3.8 sedan.

It says on the invoice:

"Transmission exchange Service, Includes install cleaner, exchange 12 qts full synthetic fluid and install conditioner (#55003,5100)"

358 CPH (Labor)= $84.91
They only charged me for 8 qts of fluid at $17 a qt. = $136.00
1 5100 trans service kit = $31.23

Total (not including tax) = $252.14

I'm not sure why it says 12 qts trans fluid exchange then they only charged me for 8 qts...
I'll have to ask the next time I get over there.

dougmcp

Been here awhile...
Plumas Lake, CALIFORNIA
Genesis Model Type
I'm not sure why it says 12 qts trans fluid exchange then they only charged me for 8 qts...
I'll have to ask the next time I get over there.
When they do a fluid change there is no way to empty the torque converter. It holds a few quarts and is left in while the trans fluid is changed.
In reality you end up with a partial fluid change which is quite acceptable and pretty standard.

strider51

Tennessee
$220 at the dealership is cheaper than I had expected. I hope it's similar around here in Tennessee. I've noticed that my automatic shifting is not as enthusiastic as I'd like and was wondering if a flush/refill would make it better

g_233569

This is a topic that I will never be able to wrap my head around. Are they Hyundai dealers qualified to do this?
I still dont understand about our ZF (2012+) transmissions as they are sealed. If I take my car to the dealer to request a transmission fluid change and not EXCHANGE like they 1st offered me when I got the car? I dont trust that.
The easiest way to do it, if you want to do it yourself. Is a simple drain and fill, after much research Valvoline MaxLife Synthethic is an exact match. It's suitable for SP4, SPH4, & SP4-RR. I even spoke with Tech at Valvolene & they make it for Hyundai. Gallon container at Walmart $18. You can do it multiple times, perhaps wait 500 or 1000 miles in between. Apparently depending on the mileage, & condition of the fluid in the trans a flush or drain and fill should be determined. Usually anything around 80k or less is fairly safe getting a flush. But again, just look at the fluid and smell if it's burnt.

Ozy44

2012 3.8
Genesis Model Type
I did a drain and fill on my 2012 using the Ravenol SP-IV-RR. Made this pump setup from a 1 gallon $10 Home Depot sprayer, 3/8 valve, 3/8 clear tubing and 90 degree fitting. It took about 5L of fluid, idling in neutral, before spilling over the transmission pan's built in overflow tube.Trans_Fluid_Pump.jpg