2019 BMW M5 vs 2019 G70 (the baby m5?)

Rmsanger

Hasn't posted much yet...
I test drove a 440i Xdrive convertible this past weekend with the B58 engine. The 440i is a piggy in terms of weight due to the hard top construction and added rigidity but that power plant is great. The B58 might be a modders dream when it’s all said and done. It’s the engine they are putting into the new “Supra” and Z4. Apparently it is constructed in a similar manner to the old 2JZ in the Mk4 Supra. It is a closed deck construction with all forged internals and large/upgrade oil coolers, and a higher compression ratio.

People are speculating that 600-800 hp should be achievable in a reliable manner unlike the N55 limitations.

I don’t want a BMW but it seems interesting none the less.

Last edited:

Starflyer

Seattle WA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
The original post acknowledges the price and differences, and even says it cannot compete and no one would expect it to, then gives you examples and develops the idea. And, you claim it a "joke" by reiterating one of the initial assumptions and the premise he started with. Okay.
OK, me bad...

Toddasaurus

Registered Member
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I test drove a 440i Xdrive convertible this past weekend with the B58 engine. The 440i is a piggy in terms of weight due to the hard top construction and added rigidity but that power plant is great. The B58 might be a modders dream when it’s all said and done. It’s the engine they are putting into the new “Supra” and Z4. Apparently it is constructed in a similar manner to the old 2JZ in the Mk4 Supra. It is a closed deck construction with all forged internals and large/upgrade oil coolers, and a higher compression ratio.

People are speculating that 600-800 hp should be achievable in a reliable manner unlike the N55 limitations.

I don’t want a BMW but it seems interesting none the less.

I believe it! The old 2JZ could just about hit numbers like that without even touching the bottom end - it will be interesting to see how the B58 does with a nice big single turbo, meth or e85.

J Dixon

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
I can't afford it but even if I could, I refuse to have a car with a new starter home MSRP.
I'd probably have a tough time paying out-of-pocket for BMW to change the wiper blades.
To each their own. I just don't see the value in a 105K+ car.

Toddasaurus

Registered Member
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I can't afford it but even if I could, I refuse to have a car with a new starter home MSRP.
I'd probably have a tough time paying out-of-pocket for BMW to change the wiper blades.
Oh I'm with you 100%. It's crazy that some people have that much money to just throw around.

canucklehead604

one of the few 6MTs...
West Coast Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
in my area almost all new BMW/Porsche/MB/Audis are exclusively cheap lease vehicles and returned before warranty expires. very few are purchased or financed, and most of the cars are not well cared for since the leasers are not actually 'car people'. rather, they are people who like to project wealth and blindly associate this with certain makes of cars.

so, many people are driving around vehicles that project a modicum of affluence meanwhile they have cheap leases in the realm of what an Accord would be. this is especially prevalent with realtors and incorporated individuals. they are not laying out huge cash out of pocket.

Last edited:

NLJ

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
in my area almost all new BMW/Porsche/MB/Audis are exclusively cheap lease vehicles and returned before warranty expires. very few are purchased or financed, and most of the cars are not well cared for since the leasers are not actually 'car people'. rather, they are people who like to project wealth and blindly associate this with certain makes of cars.

so, many people are driving around vehicles that project a modicum or affluence meanwhile they have cheap leases in the realm of what an Accord would be. this is especially prevalent with realtors and incorporated individuals. they are not laying out huge cash out of pocket.
Aren't most German vehicles leased anyway?
They know they can't afford maintenance after warranty and hence lease it to return before it expires!

Rmsanger

Here is the vehicle I test drove this weekend... 2017 440i xdrive vert with < 20k miles for likely $30k OTD although with a branded title. It was a lovely vehicle just a little heavier that I wanted and not really a fan of BMW branding although it had the B58 power plant and the sound was amazing. For somebody this will be alot of fun at a decent price. They also have a M4 vert down in Vegas for $40k which sounds like a great for me to make the 5 hour drive.

2017 BMW 4 Series 440i xDrive AWD 2D Convertible | UT – Woods Cross

Starflyer

Seattle WA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
so, many people are driving around vehicles that project a modicum of affluence meanwhile they have cheap leases in the realm of what an Accord would be.
What's a CHEAP lease? Dollar for dollar, I find it hard to believe you can lease a high end vehicle for the same price as an Accord UNLESS there is a hefty downpayment with the high end vehicle. Educate me as I've never lease a vehicle in 60 years of driving.

nsyedhasan

Registered Member
Toronto
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
What's a CHEAP lease? Dollar for dollar, I find it hard to believe you can lease a high end vehicle for the same price as an Accord UNLESS there is a hefty downpayment with the high end vehicle. Educate me as I've never lease a vehicle in 60 years of driving.
Lease payments are heavily dependent on your residual value at the end of the lease. I was in the same boat, I was planning on leasing another Ford Fusion, or another mainstream midsize sedan(Camry, Accord, 6, Sonata) but the lease for the G70 ended up being cheaper than those. I think it has mostly to due with residual and Genesis having an aggressive lease rate.

Chad86tsi

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
Lease payments are heavily dependent on your residual value at the end of the lease. I was in the same boat, I was planning on leasing another Ford Fusion, or another mainstream midsize sedan(Camry, Accord, 6, Sonata) but the lease for the G70 ended up being cheaper than those. I think it has mostly to due with residual and Genesis having an aggressive lease rate.
Yah, I looked at a few different lease offerings at different dealers (they do vary), and it was apparent that the cars were getting up to a few thousand knocked off the price, in addition to the down payment. this has a pretty big impact on the monthly payment, and if you keep the car at the end of the lease, you get (got) a good discount on it to start with.

Starflyer

Seattle WA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
The original post acknowledges the price and differences, and even says it cannot compete and no one would expect it to, then gives you examples and develops the idea. And, you claim it a "joke" by reiterating one of the initial assumptions and the premise he started with. Okay.
Me bad again. I've been "booted" from MacRumors for comments as well. In the meantime I use my Genesis G80 Sport in Lunch Control, driving to 5 Guys for the best burger in town.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.