Any interest in DIY Transmission flush?

dougmcp

Been here awhile...
Plumas Lake, CALIFORNIA
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
All transmissions need to have a way to fill and drain. You have a fill hole, overflow and drain hole as indicated by the service manual.
Here is a shot of the plugs:
2011_3.8_Trans.png
Regarding these transmissions, they are not really any different than the ZF type transmissions.
They don't have a dipstick because it's really not necessary.
Changing oil is relatively simple, drain the trans, drop the pan, check the magnet for shavings, change the filter, reinstall the pan with a new gasket and refill until it flows out the overflow.

Last edited:

kennjen

Hasn't posted much yet...
NY
Doug, thanks for the pic. very helpful. I've sent you 3 PM by mistake. Because I thought they weren't being sent.

Apparently, sent PM doesn't get saved in my SENT folder because "Save a copy of sent messages in my Sent Items folder by default" is off by default. DUH.

K

1977Scout

I would love to see a DYI on the trans fluid change. I have a 2012 G Sedan. Still trying to "find" out which transmission I have. I hear it is an 8 speed similar to BMW, not sure. Yup, would like to see the DYI.

2bornot2b

Hey guys, does anyone know if Sleepr24 ever posted his step by step for his trans flush? My 2009 v6 has 141k on the clock and I have been debating doing the flush since I bought the car with 116k on the clock. A few trusted mechanics have advised me not to change the fluid if I can’t confirm that it has been changed before and if the trans is shifting as it should. My gut tells me err on the side of caution and flush it, but then I think, ‘ If it AINT broke don’t fix it! 😊

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Hey guys, does anyone know if Sleepr24 ever posted his step by step for his trans flush? My 2009 v6 has 141k on the clock and I have been debating doing the flush since I bought the car with 116k on the clock. A few trusted mechanics have advised me not to change the fluid if I can’t confirm that it has been changed before and if the trans is shifting as it should. My gut tells me err on the side of caution and flush it, but then I think, ‘ If it AINT broke don’t fix it! ��
The 2009-2011 V6 used an Aisin 6-speed transmission, and uses different synthetic fluid than the ZF (2009-2011 V8), or the Hyundai 8-speed transmission (2012+ for all Genesis engines). Changing the fluid on any of these transmissions is a lot harder than older ones with a drain plug.

Aisin was a joint venture of Toyota and Borg-Warner to produce RWD transmissions used by Lexus and many other brands of vehicles. I would make sure you have a Hyundai shop manual or get someone who is experienced in changing the fluid on this transmission.

NJTom

Registered Member
Central PA
Has a DYI step-by-step procedure been created for the Aisin 6-speed tranny?
What I know so far: 9 quarts of NWS-9538 fluid in the 2009-2011 V6 tranny. Still trying to narrow down if a filter needs to be replaced.

I called the local dealer to ask about them doing the work. After speaking to them I'm more confused than before. They said they would do a 9 quart flush. I don't want to flush it as that can cause more issues with clogging small pores. I asked them about dropping the pan to replace the filter. After a bit of researching, they said there is no filter in this transmission and instead a screen which they could clean with brake cleaner. (WHAT!?) There's no filter??? Is dropping the pan necessary?

Is it better to do a drain and fill a 3x times over a few thousand miles? I currently have 100k and it's time for this service.

Lastly, should I have the dealer do the flush? They charge about $260 for the service.

Please help!!!

2bornot2b

Has a DYI step-by-step procedure been created for the Aisin 6-speed tranny?
What I know so far: 9 quarts of NWS-9538 fluid in the 2009-2011 V6 tranny. Still trying to narrow down if a filter needs to be replaced.

I called the local dealer to ask about them doing the work. After speaking to them I'm more confused than before. They said they would do a 9 quart flush. I don't want to flush it as that can cause more issues with clogging small pores. I asked them about dropping the pan to replace the filter. After a bit of researching, they said there is no filter in this transmission and instead a screen which they could clean with brake cleaner. (WHAT!?) There's no filter??? Is dropping the pan necessary?

Is it better to do a drain and fill a 3x times over a few thousand miles? I currently have 100k and it's time for this service.

Lastly, should I have the dealer do the flush? They charge about $260 for the service.

Please help!!!
NJTom ,
Yes, there is a filter, some call it a strainer. The part # for the one I used is 46240-3C100. I also replaced the pan gasket, part # 45282-3C100.

scottdk

Registered Member
Minnesota
I just called my dealer for a tranny service quote for my 2009 4.6L with the ZF-6 transmission. I spoke to multiple advisors at the service department and they said they no nothing regarding this service for my Genesis and had never even heard of a ZF tranny! RED FLAG ALERT!!!!

Anyway, I was quoted $1,264 out the door by a local performance shop in the Twin Cities who work mostly on European vehicles and have done a million ZF tranny services.

Expensive service if I take the car into a shop. I won't have a 4 post lift until May at soonest to service myself, but this could save me a $1,000 if I wait and do myself. Decisions, Decisions...

edizzle89

Registered Member
Columbus, IN
Genesis Model Type
I just called my dealer for a tranny service quote for my 2009 4.6L with the ZF-6 transmission. I spoke to multiple advisors at the service department and they said they no nothing regarding this service for my Genesis and had never even heard of a ZF tranny! RED FLAG ALERT!!!!

Anyway, I was quoted $1,264 out the door by a local performance shop in the Twin Cities who work mostly on European vehicles and have done a million ZF tranny services.

Expensive service if I take the car into a shop. I won't have a 4 post lift until May at soonest to service myself, but this could save me a $1,000 if I wait and do myself. Decisions, Decisions...
How much are they charging for fluid, parts, and labor? When i did mine the fluid and new pan/gasket (trans filter is integrated into the pan) cost me about $200. As for labor it took me maybe a hour to do my drain and fill and that counts the time it took to put up on jack stands.

Also a 4 post lift would make it about 10x easier but it's still not too hard to do up on jack stands.

scottdk

Registered Member
Minnesota
How much are they charging for fluid, parts, and labor? When i did mine the fluid and new pan/gasket (trans filter is integrated into the pan) cost me about $200. As for labor it took me maybe a hour to do my drain and fill and that counts the time it took to put up on jack stands.

Also a 4 post lift would make it about 10x easier but it's still not too hard to do up on jack stands.
The dealer hasn't called back yet, and the Independent shop out the door is $1,264 as mentioned above. Sounds like I will just do this myself one I get a lift.

Where did you buy your kit with fluid and all other parts from? Apologies if this was covered previously.

edizzle89

Registered Member
Columbus, IN
Genesis Model Type
I just bought 2 4L jugs of Ravenol 6HP fluid and the pan with gasket off of Amazon

scottdk

Registered Member
Minnesota
Update from my dealer: Dealer called me back and said that they are not able to get the fluid needed for the service. They stated the fluid is in their system @ $113/bottle, but they can't get it.

This translates to - they don't want to do it. Not a problem, I'd rather do it myself anyway.

Mandrake

MN
Genesis Model Type
Scottdk, if you don't want to wait until May, I'm planning on doing this service myself in my garage and I might be able to help you. My 2009 has 105,000 miles so its time to drop the pan and change the filter. If the fluid is really bad or there's a lot of metal shavings, I might consider a flush. In my experience, I don't like doing flushes though because you can damage the transmission lines/fittings so easily.

I just bought 2 4L jugs of Ravenol 6HP
Did you really use all of that with a drain and fill? Normally you'd get like 4 liters max with dropping the pan.

On many of my 100k mile+ vehicles I drain and fill the transmission when I change the engine oil. I get 1.8 quarts out of my Lexus's transmission when I drain it but it has like a 9 qt capacity. So draining and filling just keeps the fluid fresh.

edizzle89

Registered Member
Columbus, IN
Genesis Model Type
Did you really use all of that with a drain and fill? Normally you'd get like 4 liters max with dropping the pan.
I used about 5-6 liters, I went through one entire bottle and around 1/3-1/2 of the 2nd bottle. I didnt wanna come up short when filling fluid since I couldnt get it locally and the fill procedure isn't reall fun so that's why I went with the 2 4L bottles.

scottdk

Registered Member
Minnesota
Scottdk, if you don't want to wait until May, I'm planning on doing this service myself in my garage and I might be able to help you. My 2009 has 105,000 miles so its time to drop the pan and change the filter. If the fluid is really bad or there's a lot of metal shavings, I might consider a flush. In my experience, I don't like doing flushes though because you can damage the transmission lines/fittings so easily
I actually changed my mind since I posted last - I have a ton of stuff going on right now and just need to focus on other things, so I'll be taking my car into Imola Motorsports in Plymouth, MN for the service and while I'm there I'm going to have them drain and refill the coolant too.

Mandrake

MN
Genesis Model Type
so I'll be taking my car into Imola Motorsports in Plymouth, MN for the service and while I'm there I'm going to have them drain and refill the coolant too.
I checked out their website. It looks reasonable for their rates. My local auto repair place wants to charge $120/hr on labor if I provide my own parts but $90/hr if I let them get the parts. That seems kind of steep.

09Genny4.6

Genesis Model Type
I checked out their website. It looks reasonable for their rates. My local auto repair place wants to charge $120/hr on labor if I provide my own parts but $90/hr if I let them get the parts. That seems kind of steep.
I recently bought a 2009 with the V8 and ZF combo. It has 140,000 miles and even though I purchased it at a dealer, I'm unsure how well the previous owner took care of it mechanically (as in whether he listened to Hyundai's BS about lifetime transmission fluid or ZF's recommended drain and refills at 50-70K miles). I sometimes get clunky shifts. They are not hard or harsh, but it's something I believe could be helped with new fluid. I found the kit Oil change kit for 6HP26/28/32 that includes Lifeguard 6 fluid, but it's only 6 liters, which means I can only do one drain and refill vs doing one, driving a few hundred miles, and doing another drain and refill to drop the ratio of old to new fluid. Would I be better off buying some Red Line D6 ATF (which does meet Shell's 1375.4 spec) and a separate filter pan and mechatronic sleeve or buy the kit and only do one drain and refill? Also, I'm 19 and would love to take on the project instead of spending $1,200 (that's insane!!), but I'm worried I'll mess something up. Is it simply a drain and refill (I found the process online and there are youtube videos of it) or will the transmission ecu need to be reset to adjust shift mapping with new fluid? If so, I have no clue how to do that.