Anybody have the Heads Up Display?

santocg

I asked the rep who brought the tester why did he not get the model with HUD ("Prestige") for the test drive.
He looked at me all confused... and told me this does have a HUD.... i then took off my polarized glasses and there it was :)

Cranking the HUD brightness all the way up, I could just barely make it out with my polarized glasses on. Booked an "Elite" model.

Edmguy

Registered Member
Edmonton, Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Aside from in my golf bag I haven't bought polarized sunglasses in years because of owning vehicles with HUD. I think when I bought a 3 series in 06 that was the first time I had to change sunglasses as the display in the instrument panel wasn't visible with polarized lenses. Magazines used to always complain about BMW's because of that. Then 2011 was my first HUD vehicle. There are still lots of really good lenses available. Oakley Prizm lenses are really good and the HUD is perfectly visible through them.

Starflyer

Hasn't posted much yet...
Seattle WA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Does not work with polarized glasses, very smart to ask though. I just ordered new glasses and gave the HUD priority over having polarized Transistions lenses.
I noticed while driving with polarized glasses that if I tilt my head, the HUD works fine. However, shortly after, driving with my head tilted, I get a warning that I should consider stopping for break. Apparently the "awareness" camera think I'm dozing off!

NLJ

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I noticed while driving with polarized glasses that if I tilt my head, the HUD works fine. However, shortly after, driving with my head tilted, I get a warning that I should consider stopping for break. Apparently the "awareness" camera think I'm dozing off!
The awareness system is not camera based. It's driver input based. Maybe you're just an erratic driver!

Starflyer

Seattle WA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
The awareness system is not camera based. It's driver input based. Maybe you're just an erratic driver!
Don't know what the system is on the G70, but on the '18 G80 Sport, page 5-107 clearly says "The Driver Attention Alert system utilizes the camera sensor on the front windshield for its operation." As to where the sensor is, I haven't a clue.

And there are a host of other reasons it may not work correctly. I assume if I didn't have polarized glasses on, but was nodding my head like I was sleepy or wandering back and forth, I would get the same warning.

All I know is if I drive with my head tilted every so often in order to see the HUD WHILE wearing polarized glasses, I occasionally get the "time to take a break warning".

PD705

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Don't know what the system is on the G70, but on the '18 G80 Sport, page 5-107 clearly says "The Driver Attention Alert system utilizes the camera sensor on the front windshield for its operation." As to where the sensor is, I haven't a clue.

And there are a host of other reasons it may not work correctly. I assume if I didn't have polarized glasses on, but was nodding my head like I was sleepy or wandering back and forth, I would get the same warning.

All I know is if I drive with my head tilted every so often in order to see the HUD WHILE wearing polarized glasses, I occasionally get the "time to take a break warning".
To clarify, the front camera is watching the road, not the driver. It's using data from the LKA system to measure lane keeping/position and comparing that against erratic steering behaviour. Crunched against the time driven since start, it calculates when it thinks it sees signs of drowsiness - but again, behaviour-based only, not the driver's physical characteristics.

Spanky61

Been here awhile...
NM
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
The Driver Attention Alert (DAA) system displays the condition of the driver’s fatigue and inattention. • Driver can adjust the Driver Attention Alert System to the below settings. To adjust, go to User Settings > Driving Assist > Driver Attention Alert Off - Driver Attention Alert system is deactivated. Normal - Driver Attention Alert system alerts the driver of his/her fatigue level or inattentive driving practices. Early - Driver Attention Alert system alerts the driver of his/her fatigue level or inattentive driving practices faster than Normal mode. The Driver Attention Alert system is operable, when driving speed is between 40 mph and 110 mph .

Driver Attention Alert (DAA) detects erratic or fatigued driving and helps prevent accidents by analyzing driving patterns. By monitoring the vehicle’s position in the lane, along with steering angle, steering torque and driving time, the system can detect inattentive driving and issue an audible warning and message on the instrument display panel to alert the driver.

Starflyer

Seattle WA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Driver Attention Alert (DAA) detects erratic or fatigued driving and helps prevent accidents by analyzing driving patterns. By monitoring the vehicle’s position in the lane, along with steering angle, steering torque and driving time, the system can detect inattentive driving and issue an audible warning and message on the instrument display panel to alert the driver.
OK, I'll buy that. However, the ONLY time I've seen the warning was when I was leaning left in order to see the HUD. Perhaps I was "pushing" the left lane marker too much while leaning. However, I CERTAINLY didn't feel inattentive and was very surprised when the notice popped up say something like I should consider a driving break.

NLJ

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
OK, I'll buy that. However, the ONLY time I've seen the warning was when I was leaning left in order to see the HUD. Perhaps I was "pushing" the left lane marker too much while leaning. However, I CERTAINLY didn't feel inattentive and was very surprised when the notice popped up say something like I should consider a driving break.
Maybe it's detecting that half your ass cheek is lifted off the seat when you're leaning!

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.