• In the 1980s and 1990s we used AOL and Usenet. In the 2000s there were forums and message boards. In the 2010s - and until the very near future - Facebook and Instagram. Something new is coming for Genesis owners... Become an early adopter of what's next by SIGNING UP HERE. Your email address will not be sold or used in any way other than us communicating more details as we prepare for launch - and we will not communicate often.

At-home charging requirements?

fredf

Registered Member
Genesis Model Year
Oops. Sorry but TeslaTap doesn't want to do a group buy unless they can send it to one single address here for us to then distribute them across the country.
Doesn't seem worth it for 15% off.

I guess I shouldn't have raised the issue until I had explored it with them first.

Looney100

Registered Member
Canada
Genesis Model Year
For those considering a Tesla to J-1772 adapter, I received my Lectron yesterday and have tried it out on a number of different Tesla units - all failed.
I did a bit of Googling, and found out that the Teslatap is a superior unit.

I did ultimately get my Lectron to work, but it’s somewhat unreliable. I’ll give it a couple more attempts, but may end up returning it and getting the Teslatap.

Looking to update and upgrade your Genesis luxury sport automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

Birdman56

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
For those considering a Tesla to J-1772 adapter, I received my Lectron yesterday and have tried it out on a number of different Tesla units - all failed.
I did a bit of Googling, and found out that the Teslatap is a superior unit.

I did ultimately get my Lectron to work, but it’s somewhat unreliable. I’ll give it a couple more attempts, but may end up returning it and getting the Teslatap.
Any better luck with Lectron or are you going to the Teslatap?

Looney100

Registered Member
Canada
Genesis Model Year
I ordered a Teslatap and will be returning the Lectron. It wasn't a cut-and-dry decision as there is a ~$200 difference between the two and I figured out how to get the Lectron working.

The issue is that the Tesla chargers try to communicate with the vehicle when they are first connected, then failing that switches to the J-1772 protocol. It appears that the E-GMP cars give up on charging and return an error message before the charger switches over to J-1772. The 'fix' is to switch the car on, which seems to restart the 'timer' on the car. Sometimes it takes two or three attempts, but I've been able to get it started the last several times.

Apparently, the Teslatap has a chip in it that handles the communication between the car and charger to enable proper functioning - which is why it's more reliable - and expensive.

Regardless of which you choose, I'd recommend getting an adapter to make use of the Tesla network. It opens up a lot more chargers, and they generally seem to be higher powered than most J-1772 chargers. The majority are 11kW vs. 6-7 for most 1772s.

fredf

Registered Member
Genesis Model Year
I have done pretty extensive research on this in the past couple of days. The only knock on the TeslaTap is that it can be difficult to pull out of some car port since the fit can be very tight. People have solved this with a bit of sandpaper.
Otherwise the TeslaTap seems to work with virtually every electric car.

The Lectron apparently works on most but not all cars.
Also I just had a bad experience with the company that sells Lectron. Before I finished my research I ordered one from their website (it's cheaper than ordering on Amazon). When I placed the order I put down that I wanted the white one. I entered my Visa (for U.S. funds since a U.S. site). They almost immediately billed my Visa (and, of course, there was an exchange fee from Visa)

About two days later I get a email saying they are out of the white adapters and don't know when they will be back in stock. They then said that they do not deliver to Canada!

I asked for a refund and got it but I'm out $15 in the currency exchanges.
I emailed them to complain that they were fast to debit my Visa but took two days to say the could not complete the order....not a good business model. I can't imagine that I put down my Toronto address and they completed the order but don't ship here!

So I ended up ordering the TeslaTap (it's on it's way). I would not do business with Lectron again.