Battery Discharging

rock

Hasn't posted much yet...
I am having the same issues for 2 years now!!! I am getting tired of dead batteries and tows! I have replaced my battery and the issue persists. This can not be an isolated issue as I am now reading posts very much like my own.

rock

ditto for me I believe Genesis has an issue by the number of threads on this topic. what gives?? It can not be the battery is defective. This has to be some type of slow discharging going on. why???

homeofstone

Registered Member
Athens, Georgia, USA
ditto for me I believe Genesis has an issue by the number of threads on this topic. what gives?? It can not be the battery is defective. This has to be some type of slow discharging going on. why???

Have you read the posts in this thread? Check out the post dated around 1-22-11 by Mikec, I think this my help you.

mdeanster

Alabama
Open the hood. See the large black plastic trim pieces that run from above the radiator to just above the front tires? On the driver's side, look at the rear-most corner of that plastic. You'll see a round cut-out (just over an inch in diameter) with a rubber boot covered button switch poking through it. Verify the rubber boot is installed.

Then look at the underside of the hood along the driver side edge: you'll see a few rubber pads/bumpers attached to it. On the driver side again, there will be two pads: one that is over an inch in diameter - this is the hood "stop" that keeps the hood from vibrating while you drive; the second is smaller and further towards the rear of the hood. It's about half an inch in diameter, and 3/8ths of an inch tall... this is what should line up (lower the hood so it's almost closed) to push that button.

mike c.

Very good description Mikec of the location. For everyone still striving to keep the little rubber pad in place on the underside of the hood, good luck. The issue is that the rubber piece falls off and then there's nothing to push down the switch when you close the hood, so the electrical system acts as if the hood is up when it's not. You have to verify the rubber pad is in place every time the hood gets opened by anyone - including your mechanic. When my Genesis went dead for the first and only time (early October 2010) because the pad fell off, the dealership didn't tell me what they did, but I have noticed they unplugged the wires from below the rubber booted switch Mikec described above. I don't know if they had to also disable the switch circuit relating to any other systems (i.e. alarm or something), but it seems to have stopped the battery drain. Obviously not the best solution, but better than a dead battery (and I mean very dead) and feeling locked out of the car. Face it, it's easy to forget the key inside your proximity fob because we never use it and jumper cables don't help if you can't get in the car. If this disconnect solution doesn't work for any of you, I would appreciate the forewarning before I get stranded again.

tombea

Getting familiar with the group...
Mine has done three times within four months. I took it to the dealer this week and the problem was a TSB switch pad. This cured the problem. Is this pad what you were referring to when you talked about a pad under the hood?

mdeanster

Alabama
Mine has done three times within four months. I took it to the dealer this week and the problem was a TSB switch pad. This cured the problem. Is this pad what you were referring to when you talked about a pad under the hood?

Your reference to TSB must be a Hyundai "Technical Service Bulletin" for the switch pad. I don't know if they applied a "TSB" to my repair or just used a little backyard mechanic intuition. I suspect your "TSB switch pad" is a repair to the same switch I mentioned. I would be interested if your repair just unplugged the switch (as they did on mine) or replaced some parts. The problem is the "pad" on the underside of the hood that is supposed to line up with and push down the switch when the hood closes was falling off. So without the "pad" to push down the switch, the car believed the hood was raised continuosly. I don't know what electrical component is left "on" when the switch is open, but obviously it never "times out" and stays on until it drains the battery.
So did they unlpug your switch or change the pad or change the adhesive they use to attach the pad? If you can find out, I would appreciate knowing since I'm not sure my repair was consistant with the Hyundai TSB and might have disabled something like the alarm system monitoring when the hood is closed and locked. Without the switch indicating the hood postition, I can't see how the alarm could protect the engine compartment.

rock

They replaced the pad the switch is still working

Genesisguy420

Problem solved! Okay guys I have been going through the same thing for about 8 months now. I bought my wife the 2013 Hyundai Genesis as a Christmas gift December 2016 and about 1 or two months after we got it the battery started sporadically dying. We went back and forth to the dealership constantly with the issue just like everyone else and it seem like either they just didn't know what the heck they were doing or we're giving us the runaround. They replace the entire navigation system and radio and then told us that it had been the battery all the time. Long story short the same little knob under the hood that's mentioned in this post let us to the solution. We raise the hood found the knob however the knob was not missing which left me a bit disappointed at first but then I begin to look at the switch that the knob it's in place to press. I noticed that the switch was in place but underneath the switch there is a little cable that is supposed to be attached to the bottom side of it. The cable had simply come disconnected. Reconnected the cable problem solved. I hope this makes your life a little easier and returns you to loving your Genesis. God bless.

QuantumRift

Been here awhile...
Central OH
Just a couple of weeks ago while doing my spark plugs on my '12 Genny, I bumped into that "alarm bumper thing" and knocked off, where it bounced down into the bowels of the engine. Well, before any issues set it, I ordered a replacement for about $3.

Problem solved! Okay guys I have been going through the same thing for about 8 months now. I bought my wife the 2013 Hyundai Genesis as a Christmas gift December 2016 and about 1 or two months after we got it the battery started sporadically dying. We went back and forth to the dealership constantly with the issue just like everyone else and it seem like either they just didn't know what the heck they were doing or we're giving us the runaround. They replace the entire navigation system and radio and then told us that it had been the battery all the time. Long story short the same little knob under the hood that's mentioned in this post let us to the solution. We raise the hood found the knob however the knob was not missing which left me a bit disappointed at first but then I begin to look at the switch that the knob it's in place to press. I noticed that the switch was in place but underneath the switch there is a little cable that is supposed to be attached to the bottom side of it. The cable had simply come disconnected. Reconnected the cable problem solved. I hope this makes your life a little easier and returns you to loving your Genesis. God bless.

G-183068

Open the hood. See the large black plastic trim pieces that run from above the radiator to just above the front tires? On the driver's side, look at the rear-most corner of that plastic. You'll see a round cut-out (just over an inch in diameter) with a rubber boot covered button switch poking through it. Verify the rubber boot is installed.

Then look at the underside of the hood along the driver side edge: you'll see a few rubber pads/bumpers attached to it. On the driver side again, there will be two pads: one that is over an inch in diameter - this is the hood "stop" that keeps the hood from vibrating while you drive; the second is smaller and further towards the rear of the hood. It's about half an inch in diameter, and 3/8ths of an inch tall... this is what should line up (lower the hood so it's almost closed) to push that button.

mike c.

Thank you for your advice. Dealer quoted minimum cost of $750 and up to $1500 to check what could be cause of this. I found this thread, husband checked and this part was missing. Ordered part from dealer, $15, and they said they never heard of such a thing. Didn’t think this would make a difference. Problem solved. Big thank you.

jramos30

Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
Well, it's fixed or so it appears. The pad or nub that is supposed to be in the hood (driver's side edge about half way back) and fits into a switch when the hood is closed, said switch being depressed then tells car's electrical systems to power down when the car is shut off, was missing. I was told it must have fallen out. I think the folks at the dealers probably missed this the first two times I took the car in. At least that is my hope.
I do not have a rubber piece above the switch, and having the same problem. i can not find that part online or the dealer had no idea what i was talking about. Did The dealer sell you one?

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums