• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Best new 18" tires!

NJTom

Registered Member
Central PA
...Michelin Pilot A/S 3 tires. Last night I had Costco replace all four ties with these.
What did you end up paying for them out the door? Did you get the "V" or "Y" rated? I've been looking at them there too.

Please report back your thoughts on these as the miles increase.

Thanks!

mtrot

Registered Member
East Texas
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
After about a thousand miles, the Conti Pure Contact seems to be doing well. There is different road noise on different types of pavement, but that's expected in my book. Road surfaces are so different, noise has to respond different, too. We drove from Atlanta to Dayton and were almost car sick when we got there. Seems the guys put 30PSI in the tires. Pumped them up to 36 on the way back, and things were good. We'll watch and advise.
Thanks for that feedback on the Pure Contacts. I think I've narrowed it down to either the Pure Contacts or the Serenity Plus for when I do finally get rid of the Michelin Energy Savers.

I read most of the reviews for both of them on Tire Rack, and it seems the Pure Contacts are reviewed a bit better. My two priorities are noise level and ride comfort. If you look at their tread patterns, both of them have some funky designs going on in the middle area of the tread area, so that could be the source of a bit of tread noise.

shagnat

Registered Member
My car has Conti P Zero Nero. I bought the car used and these are the tires that were on it, so, I don't know how many miles these tires have. I'm guessing around 18K but that's a guestimate :)

These tires do not vibrate, do not pull, are not noisy and work well for my driving style which is hodge podge of driving types.

They are inexpensive comparatively speaking and I just may go with another set of them once these are worn out. I do not have any experience in the snow with them as I've only owed the car since July and we rarely get snow down here in the deep south, so snow traction is of "zero" concern to me (all puns intended) :)

Just throwing this in the mix to give another opinion on a tire that doesn't get much ink.

tmealer

Registered Member
OK, returned the Conti Pure Contacts back to Discount Tire for the 5K rotation, and they said the wear was still as new, showing no wear. So the first 5K check was good. I did find out that the tires are loose with lower pressure. Right now, I run 35 PSI. They still don't have the great feel the Nitto Motivos had, but they didn't develop the noise and vibs the Nittos had.

nyc1rob

Registered Member
Absolutely the Continental Extreme Contact DWS are the top rated tire by Tire Rack for a Genesis...I just got them and are very satisfied!

shagnat

Registered Member
Absolutely the Continental Extreme Contact DWS are the top rated tire by Tire Rack for a Genesis...I just got them and are very satisfied!
Perhaps I got 4 crappy ones. Mine were gosh awful....... from that experience alone, I'll not buy another set of DWS.

scottdk

Registered Member
Minnesota
+1 for the Bridgestone Turanza Serenity PLUS.

Threw a set on my wife's Jetta TDI and they are a very nice tire.
This is the tire that I'm probably going to put on my Outback in the Spring. For the meantime, I will receive my wheels and winter tires for my Outback tomorrow (General Altimax Artic)

Retry

Registered Member
North Mississippi
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
I saw great reviews for the Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus on TireRack and was considering them. However they don't seem to come on the 235/50/18 size. You can get either the 235/45/18 or the 245/45/18. The reason I liked these tires is they have a the best snow rating (for an all season tire). I live in NJ and use all seasons. I want to make sure my tires can handle snow better than the stock Dunlops.
I'm looking at the Pirelli tires you mention on the Tire Rack site and they do come in the 235/50R/18. The reviews are incredibly good albeit on relatively few miles compared to the others listed. They're rated at the top in ever single category. They only show one Genesis review on a 2009 model and it was very favorable. The "would buy again" is rated as a 9.5, extremely high. I was high on the Bridgestones until I saw these. Anyone else considering these?

cspartan

Registered Member
This is the tire that I'm probably going to put on my Outback in the Spring. For the meantime, I will receive my wheels and winter tires for my Outback tomorrow (General Altimax Artic)
Wife's '02 Outback LL gets the Bridgestones this week Scott. I'll let you know how they work on the Sube and compared to the awesome Goodyear Assurance Triple Treads that have lasted 70k.

Laid down two nice 30ft strips of black with the Generals Sat night....I was just trying to chirp the Gen. Whoops

krunchy

Registered Member
Vancouer BC
My car has Conti P Zero Nero. I bought the car used and these are the tires that were on it, so, I don't know how many miles these tires have. I'm guessing around 18K but that's a guestimate :)

These tires do not vibrate, do not pull, are not noisy and work well for my driving style which is hodge podge of driving types.

They are inexpensive comparatively speaking and I just may go with another set of them once these are worn out. I do not have any experience in the snow with them as I've only owed the car since July and we rarely get snow down here in the deep south, so snow traction is of "zero" concern to me (all puns intended) :)

Just throwing this in the mix to give another opinion on a tire that doesn't get much ink.
My car has Pirelli P Zero Nero's on it now and they performed well all around and in the snow, but I will be replacing them with something else soon (when they are worn out) as they haven't lasted much longer than the OEM Dunlops. Putting $1,000 worth of tires on this car every year is the one and only thing I don't like about my car.

krunchy

Registered Member
Vancouer BC
I have 2010 Genesis 4.6 with 26,000 miles and on my third set of tires. The OEM Dunlap's lasted 13,000 miles then got very loud. The next set were P Zero Nero's which got noisy after 10,000 miles. I now have the Bridgestone Serenity Plus tires, drove to Florida 1672 miles and they are very quiet and disiplined...I think they are the answer to my problems. Very nice tire but were hard to locate in December 2012, on the east coast.
Highly recommended, so far.
I have the same car and put the same P Zero Nero's on as the second set which I will be replacing soon. My experience with the tires was pretty much the same as yours except in my case the P Zeros lasted a bit longer than the Dunlops. Regardless replacing my tires every year is not a good thing so I'm looking for new tires now that will last longer and still perform well.

In my neck of the woods (Vancouver, Canada) I need a tire that is good in the wet and snow (I travel throughout BC regularly, summer and winter) and am considering some Nokian WRG3 "all weather" tires. I'm thinking that these should give me decent fair weather performance and better grip than other tires when things get dicey. I'm just hoping that they won't be too noisy and will last longer than my last sets of tires.

Anyone have any experience with Nokian?

Dawg

Registered Member
Atlanta Burbs
2nd owner here and bought vehicle at 28K miles on it. Dealer put brand new Nitto Motivos at purchase and I liked the tires and feel (sporty but not overly harsh) but I did not do a good job rotating and ate through tires with only 33K miles. The Nittos were pretty quiet too. Then switched to Hankook S1 Venus Noble and those tires were pretty good and I did a better job rotating at got 45K mi on them and still probably could have gotten another 5K but no need to push it. Both of these tires mentioned above are Ultra High Performance tires so the side wall is a tad firmer with more aggressive feel to the road.

Two days ago, I thought I would try a true Touring tire (Sumitomos) and they rode fantastic but their tread design was causing a rumbling (low frequency growl from 45 mph on). Took car to dealer thinking it was a bearing but checked out ok. Went back to tire place told them my problem and they agreed to pull the Sumitomos and install Nitto Motivos and I had to pay the difference. I could not be happier to be back with the Nittos.

mtrot

Registered Member
East Texas
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
Thanks for that feedback on the Pure Contacts. I think I've narrowed it down to either the Pure Contacts or the Serenity Plus for when I do finally get rid of the Michelin Energy Savers.

I read most of the reviews for both of them on Tire Rack, and it seems the Pure Contacts are reviewed a bit better. My two priorities are noise level and ride comfort. If you look at their tread patterns, both of them have some funky designs going on in the middle area of the tread area, so that could be the source of a bit of tread noise.
Update:

Well, back in 2013, I went with a set of Michelin Premier A/S, although they didn't come in the exact OE size. Part of the reason I went with them was the great reviews on Tire Rack. I don't like the fact that Michelin is trying what IMO is a gimmick with this business of only providing 8/32" of tread depth. However, the tires rode pretty well and were fairly quiet.

Recently, although the Premier A/S still had some tread depth left, my wife expressed concern that the car was squirrely on wet roads(she is the primary driver of the Genesis now). I again checked reviews on Tire Rack and found that Michelin has come out with the Premier LTX, which is billed as a SUV Grand Touring tire. (I have a set of Pirelli Cinturato P7 on my 2012 Buick LaCrosse and, although they are quiet on a perfectly smooth and quiet surface, they are pretty noisy on any sort of coarse surface, and you also feel most any surface irregularities. So, I had ruled out the P7 for the Genesis.) A number of the Premier LTX reviews were from people who had driven on both the Premier A/S and the new Premier LTX, some of whom loved the LTX so much that they didn't even know why Michelin even still sold the A/S. Overall, the reviews indicated that the Premier LTX were the quietest tires they had driven on. As noise comfort is one of my top considerations, I wanted to try a set. The reviews also indicated that the LTX were the best for ride comfort. I would have tried a set of Bridgestone Ecopia, but I don't think they were not available in that size.

I was pleased to find that the Premier LTX was available in my OE tire size. Now, Michelin is still going with the shallow, 8/32" tread depth, but since my wife's commute to work is so short, I figured the tires would last a long time. Upon physical examination of a set of LTX, I did indeed notice immediately that the rubber compound was comparatively(to other tires) malleable and what I was looking for.

So, with Discount Tire's 30-day test drive feature in mind, I bought a set of the Premier LTX. I figured that, even though they bill it as a SUV tire, the Genesis pushes 4,000 pounds and they might work out fine. The new Premier LTX were immediately more supple riding and quiet than the Premier A/S, even when the A/S were new. The soft compound of the LTX just eat up small irregularities on the road. They are very quiet overall, although there is a bit of tread pattern noise. I think it is an acceptable slight amount of noise that is necessary in order for them to achieve the wet performance they get out of them. Overall, a great set of tires, unless you're looking more for a performance tire.

Dawg

Registered Member
Atlanta Burbs
mtrot, great point. I have had the LTX's on SUV's and they were awesome tires. I agree the vehicle is heavy and certain tires may not be able to handle the weight load as well as others. The Nittos are 101W XL so plenty of strength to adequately support the vehicle safely. The Sumitomos I had for a day were really comfortable but the tread noise was a deal breaker. I would have gone with the LTX's too if they were available or suggested by the tire place

Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums