• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Best new 18" tires!

ejrooney

Hasn't posted much yet...
Wisconsin
I had the OE Dunlops removed at 25K because they were noisy and bald. I replaced them with Pirelli P Zero Neros. They became noisy after 15-20K miles, but they lasted 40K before they got bald. I just put on some Continental Pure Contacts with Eco Tech. According to Tire Rack reviewers they had the best combination of all season traction, long life and noise.

NJTom

Registered Member
Central PA
I have the purecontacts on my 2009. I have about 38-40k on them (i have snows for the winter) and they are down to about 4-5/32. Fairly evenly worn as I rotate them every 5k miles. I have a shake from one of the front tires that cannot be balanced out. You can feel the steering wheel move at slow speeds while turning a city corner. I know it is not a CV Joint or suspension issue because when moving that tire to the rear, the imbalance goes away. Will they last until the 70k they are supposed to? NO. Overall, I like them as they are still fairly quiet but that shake is bothersome. Will I buy them again? Probably not as I want to try the Pirelli P7 Plus or the new Cooper RS3-G1.

This is just my experience with the purcontacts.

2bornot2b

Hasn't posted much yet...
It's time to get new shoes for my 2009 V6 Genesis and was looking at General Altimax43. Low road noise and comfortable ride are top priorities. Does anyone have experience with these tires and if so can you provide feedback. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

mtrot

Registered Member
East Texas
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
I have the purecontacts on my 2009. I have about 38-40k on them (i have snows for the winter) and they are down to about 4-5/32. Fairly evenly worn as I rotate them every 5k miles. I have a shake from one of the front tires that cannot be balanced out. You can feel the steering wheel move at slow speeds while turning a city corner. I know it is not a CV Joint or suspension issue because when moving that tire to the rear, the imbalance goes away. Will they last until the 70k they are supposed to? NO. Overall, I like them as they are still fairly quiet but that shake is bothersome. Will I buy them again? Probably not as I want to try the Pirelli P7 Plus or the new Cooper RS3-G1.

This is just my experience with the purcontacts.
First, I've just accepted that performance on all tires drops off so much after ~35,000 miles that I just get a new set. Usually, Discount Tire will help me out with a manufacturer adjustment or just give me an allowance on a new set, as I buy all my tires for my three cars there. Just the other day, they gave me a $80/tire allowance for my Pirelli Scorpion Verde Plus tires(with 24,000 miles on them) that I got tired of on my 2009 Enclave. Those tires still had 7 to 8/32" left on them, so they couldn't adjust them via Pirelli's policies, so they just "bought" them from me. FWIW, I went back with a set of Bridgestone Dueller 422 Ecopia. Discount Tire offers a 30 Drive Guarantee, so if I'm not satisfied with them, I will swap them out for a set of the Michelin Premier LTX.

Now, I can't speak to the new Cooper, which seems to be too high performance for my tastes, but as to the Pirelli P7 Cinturato Plus, I have a set of them on my 2012 Buick LaCrosse. I will say that Pirelli are a good tire when new, with low noise and decent ride, but there are a couple things about Pirelli that I don't care for, which seem to happen fairly quickly as they wear, which is why I replaced them on my Enclave. First, the rubber seems pretty supple when brand new and give a good ride, but seems be harder down in the tread that is exposed as they wear. Also, the sipes in the tread only extend maybe 3 or 4/32" down into the tread. This means that wet weather performance drops off pretty quickly as they wear.

Michelin is the best in this regard, as their sipes extend very far into the tread depth. Also, the rubber on the Michelin Premier LTX is the best I've seen in terms of its suppleness and traction. You can actually feel how "grippy" it is if you rub your finger across the tread. As I posted above, I now have a set of LTX on my 2012 Genesis 4.6 and I think they are the best tires I've had on the Genesis, including the Pirelli P7 Plus I had on it. Now, with their supple rubber, the LTX are probably not the best choice for longevity, so if that is a top priority, you may want to avoid them. But if ride and noise comfort are high priorities, I don't see how you can beat them.

rxnov

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
Looking for a set of new tires. Anybody have any experience with Michelin Primacy Tour A/S? They seem to be new tires from Michelin considering that they have not had any reviews or been tested by tirerack

RPG

I own a recently purchased 2016 Genesis 3.8 AWD which still has the Michelins it came with (at 9,000 miles). They seem fine after only 400 miles of my driving on them. But last year I bought a set of four Bridgestone Serenity Plus tires (225-55-17) for my old Chrysler Concorde and I am very happy with them after about 5,000 miles of use - quiet, and they ride and handle well, wet and dry. When it's time to replace the Michelins on my Genesis, I will go to Serenity Plus. Note - there is a Serenity and a Serenity Plus - the latter is the more expensive and presumably better tire.

rickkapur

Registered Member
San Jose, CA
I own a recently purchased 2016 Genesis 3.8 AWD which still has the Michelins it came with (at 9,000 miles). They seem fine after only 400 miles of my driving on them. But last year I bought a set of four Bridgestone Serenity Plus tires (225-55-17) for my old Chrysler Concorde and I am very happy with them after about 5,000 miles of use - quiet, and they ride and handle well, wet and dry. When it's time to replace the Michelins on my Genesis, I will go to Serenity Plus. Note - there is a Serenity and a Serenity Plus - the latter is the more expensive and presumably better tire.
Is that the same as a Turanza? I am very confused by the Costco Website does not call that out.
Thanks

rickkapur

Registered Member
San Jose, CA
It is the Turanza.
Thanks. That helps.
There are two version of the Turanza, an ER33 and al EL42; from what i can tell the difference is essentially the speed rating....and a bit of a price difference. Which one did you get? Since your April post, are you still happy with those tires?
Below, there is also a Potenza that is markedly cheaper than the Turanza; wonder if it it worth the risk...will look it up on review sites. Thanks

BTW, 21186

Thanks

Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums