• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Brake Vibration?

ashmostro

Registered Member
Northern Virginia
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Thanks. I know that 90% of the time is the caramic pad residue deposited on the rotors, many Stinger owners are having the same issue but I need to corroborate the rotors are not warped from another cause. OEM Euro pads for our cars are really expensive ($400) My car is a lease and I don't want to expend too much money on it. Looking for some aftermarket pads could be the solution like Akebono or Centric Posi-quiet but let's see first what the dealer says.
Yep, I get it and empathize. Personally I didn't want to mess around with uneducated dealers so I just bought the euro pads and installed them myself. I'm satisfied with the results. Fwiw.

Husky

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
The new pads didn't fix mine. Waiting for new front rotors, the dealer says they are back ordered. ☹

danygenesis

Genesis owner
Miami, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Got my car back. According to the Hyundai/Genesis mechanic the front rotors were "out of specs" and were resurfaced. The vibration disappeared. Driving back home I took the time to re bedd the brakes. Now just need to wait, if the vibration reappears I will be sure that the cause is the brake pads and will be forced to buy an aftermarket set.

ashmostro

Registered Member
Northern Virginia
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Got my car back. According to the Hyundai/Genesis mechanic the front rotors were "out of specs" and were resurfaced. The vibration disappeared. Driving back home I took the time to re bedd the brakes. Now just need to wait, if the vibration reappears I will be sure that the cause is the brake pads and will be forced to buy an aftermarket set.
Hate to say it, but rotor runout can't be differentiated between true warping (which is almost never possible with modern rotor thicknesses) and uneven pad deposits. They'll both show up the same way when measured. Resurfacing will eliminate the problem temporarily as you removed both pad transfer layer and rotor material. But if the cause was inappropriate pad selection for the application, it's very likely to come back in a few hundred to 1,000 miles, assuming the same driving style.

Good luck regardless.

danygenesis

Genesis owner
Miami, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Hate to say it, but rotor runout can't be differentiated between true warping (which is almost never possible with modern rotor thicknesses) and uneven pad deposits. They'll both show up the same way when measured. Resurfacing will eliminate the problem temporarily as you removed both pad transfer layer and rotor material. But if the cause was inappropriate pad selection for the application, it's very likely to come back in a few hundred to 1,000 miles, assuming the same driving style.

Good luck regardless.
Agree with you 100%. That's why the only thing I can do to differentiate both is to wait and see if the vibration reappears. If that happens I will be forced to change the brake pads at my own cost after visiting the dealer for second time requesting a new rotors set.

danygenesis

Genesis owner
Miami, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Godspeed. If you try something other than euro spec pads please report back. Reviews would be greatly appreciated! I like but don't love my euro spec pads. They could be a bit more aggressive (bite and torque) for my driving style.
Hummmm... just looking for pads I discovered that the "regular" ceramic front pads for Brembo brakes ( part # 58101J5A51) were discontinued. The only ones for sale are the Euro specs. Something smells fishy here.

50jae

Registered Member
PA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Hummmm... just looking for pads I discovered that the "regular" ceramic front pads for Brembo brakes ( part # 58101J5A51) were discontinued. The only ones for sale are the Euro specs. Something smells fishy here.
If it's found to be defective, I hope they do a recall on this, similar to how the 2015 Genesis got the Hankook Ventus S1 noble2 tires recalled due to the sidewall cracks. There's only a couple thousand G70s in circulation in the US anyway, it's like a drop in a bucket for corporate.

danygenesis

Genesis owner
Miami, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
If it's found to be defective, I hope they do a recall on this, similar to how the 2015 Genesis got the Hankook Ventus S1 noble2 tires recalled due to the sidewall cracks. There's only a couple thousand G70s in circulation in the US anyway, it's like a drop in a bucket for corporate.
Those are the same brake pads the Kia Stinger GT use (same Brembo brakes) Stinger owners are having the same vibration issue and there are way more Stingers than G70s. I think the solution is more likely to come from them than from Genesis.

danygenesis

Genesis owner
Miami, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
There isn't any aftermarket rear brake pads for Stinger GT and G70 until now.
There are many for the front like Centric Posi-quiet , EBC, Power Stop, Girodisc, Akebono, Stoptech, DBA and Hawk between others.

Husky

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
The Girodisc front rotors are very tempting (and pricey). The rotational and unsprung weight savings would be great.

Husky

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
The Girodisc front rotors are very tempting (and pricey). The rotational and unsprung weight savings would be great.
They claim an 8lb (!!) weight saving per front rotor. Combined with some rotary forged wheels, like Konig Rennsport or Fastwheels FC04, you could knock off about 12 pounds PER front wheel (for 18"). Combined with the weight savings at the rear wheels (with stock rotors), that would be about 32 pounds total less unsprung mass. That would be amazing I think. Faster acceleration and braking, better control over rough road surfaces.

Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums