• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Brake Vibration?

danygenesis

Genesis owner
Miami, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Oh boy, that's interesting, and news to me. The dealer got the rotors and installed them, so I would have to ask them. I'll let you know.
Any idea what the difference might be? They seem to fit and work properly.
Thanks. I have no idea about the difference. Just got the info browsing the Hyundai parts website.

OMG70

Master Bruce!
LA/OC, California
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
So you guys seem to have much more severe vibrations than what I (and my family) was noticing (basically just in the pedal slightly), but they resurfaced my front rotors during my service yesterday. I had mentioned it just to have them check and in my mind it was a peace of mind inspection request, so I was surprised to see that they found the light vibration I had mentioned. Reading that TSB, it said "attempt to limit the amount of time that the brake pads are in contact with single section of the brake rotors" on the last page.

Makes me wonder if this problem has to do with the auto-hold function or parking brake usage exerting too much force on the rotors for prolonged periods of time

ashmostro

Registered Member
Northern Virginia
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
So you guys seem to have much more severe vibrations than what I (and my family) was noticing (basically just in the pedal slightly), but they resurfaced my front rotors during my service yesterday. I had mentioned it just to have them check and in my mind it was a peace of mind inspection request, so I was surprised to see that they found the light vibration I had mentioned. Reading that TSB, it said "attempt to limit the amount of time that the brake pads are in contact with single section of the brake rotors" on the last page.

Makes me wonder if this problem has to do with the auto-hold function or parking brake usage exerting too much force on the rotors for prolonged periods of time
I use auto hold 100% of the time and drive relatively aggressively. No vibrations on my non-ceramic pads.

Husky

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I use auto hold 100% of the time and drive relatively aggressively. No vibrations on my non-ceramic pads.
That's an interesting theory, but I never use the hold feature or the parking brake, and did have the problem, which eventually required new rotors. So far that's fixed the issue. I had it so bad for so long that I'm conditioned to expect an annoying vibration every time I hit the brakes. Now I need to get used to nice smooth braking, like my other cars.

Husky

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70

I've had a similar brake vibration problem with two other cars in the past, but in both cases it occurred with metallic pads, after the car sat in the rain or damp conditions for a number of days. In those cases you could clearly see an outline of the pad on the rotor, and re-bedding didn't eliminated it.
My G70 didn't have any visible pattern like that on the rotors.

ashmostro

Registered Member
Northern Virginia
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
That's an interesting theory, but I never use the hold feature or the parking brake, and did have the problem, which eventually required new rotors. So far that's fixed the issue. I had it so bad for so long that I'm conditioned to expect an annoying vibration every time I hit the brakes. Now I need to get used to nice smooth braking, like my other cars.
To be clear, I'm in agreement. I don't think the auto hold is to blame. Even if it were, it would be an issue amplifier not a root cause. If under *any* street conditions the pads can get hot enough to be outside their MOT and leave deposits, that's a fundamental design criteria problem.

Friday

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Waiting a long time now for my new rotors to come.

Weird that in cooler weather, the problem has actually gotten better and not worse.

ashmostro

Registered Member
Northern Virginia
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Weird that in cooler weather, the problem has actually gotten better and not worse.
Why? That makes perfect sense! Cooler weather means the potential for less pad overheating and more abrasive friction which would clean up deposits if sufficient. Double benefit.

danygenesis

Genesis owner
Miami, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70

Husky

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Wow, that's nice of them. I'm surprised they diagnosed it properly. I had to pay for my Euro pads, to the tune of $400 for just the fronts.

FastEddie

“Did you check the safety manual?” -Yogi Bear
Gilbert, AZ
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Well here is what was done and the front pads were replaced and the rotors surfaced. Not sure if it’s the euro pads or a revised ceramic ones. Long as the Judder is gone and does not return. I’ll know in a few days and I will be doing some “Spirited Driving“ to check it out.

318B32EB-F1CA-4936-BEFC-E4261E2D8AE9.jpeg

Husky

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Well here is what was done and the front pads were replaced and the rotors surfaced. Not sure if it’s the euro pads or a revised ceramic ones. Long as the Judder is gone and does not return. I’ll know in a few days and I will be doing some “Spirited Driving“ to check it out.

View attachment 25027
Good luck! At least they torqued the wheels and test drove it. My dealer didn't do either (unless his torque wrench was set to 150!).

Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums