BTR No Longer Tuning?

Fgpalmer71

Getting familiar with the group...
Check tiresplus.com if and when your ready(I think its inevitable once you research them!) . I checked EVERYWHERE. They beat everyone by a wide margin on that specific tire. IIRC Tirerack was around $180 per tire, discount tire was around $190, 1010tire was over $200 I think. I got them for $131. That was 255/35/20.

***I have zero affiliation with them.

Bud71

Hasn't posted much yet...
Thanks again. I'll be back to let you know the decision!

FYI, tiresplus.com for 245/40R19 XL front and rear at 275/35R19 avg. about $170 a tire. I may wait to see if there is a Memorial Day sale ... current tires should be good for a couple weeks.

carguy75

Registered Member
Atlanta, Georgia
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)

DaNooch

Registered Member
Charlotte, NC
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
I'm glad I got mine when I did but that's unfortunate. I hope that if I get headers in the future I'll be okay with the current tune.
No way man.. Headers are a big dramatic increases in airflow. It will spike ranges that exceed the factory 02's.. The car will read very lean and throw it to open loop..

"Going in a different direction" and that the contract is up with their tuner, means either they weren't selling enough to make it profitable, or the tuner and them got in a little disagreement.. lol

MoonDoggy-X

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
No way man.. Headers are a big dramatic increases in airflow. It will spike ranges that exceed the factory 02's.. The car will read very lean and throw it to open loop..

"Going in a different direction" and that the contract is up with their tuner, means either they weren't selling enough to make it profitable, or the tuner and them got in a little disagreement.. lol
I wonder if they are talking about a software license, or an actual 3rd party company that tuned for them.

Fgpalmer71

Getting familiar with the group...
Impressive write-up. Sounds like it start's getting pretty subjective between the two!

I live in Indiana and am a big Tirerack fan. That's always my 1st stop. When it comes to their ratings I've ALWAYS been slightly skeptical. I tend to pay closer attention to the reviews from actual users honestly. They test brand new tires and we all should be aware that a tire with 1 mile performs dramatically different then a tire with 10k miles. All of the actual user reviews are stellar.....for both. The Firestones seemed to be the better of the 2 when looking at the user reviews with multiple miles. They seem to get better as they wear as opposed to worse, which I personally love. The wet weather ratings given by the tirerack completed reviews seem to be diametrically opposed to the actual user ratings! I don't think you can go wrong in either direction. Happy tire hunting my friend!

MG8

I'm glad I got mine when I did but that's unfortunate. I hope that if I get headers in the future I'll be okay with the current tune.
same glad i got mine as well, no regrets i can live with the little hiccups it has.

DaNooch

Registered Member
Charlotte, NC
Genesis Model Type
same glad i got mine as well, no regrets i can live with the little hiccups it has.
Dude for $1k that mother better have zero "hiccups" for $1k you can get a decent A/F and timing ratio piggy back, take it to a dyno and a tuner will get you superior results..

Mail order tunes like that are just 1 file the tuner made from one car (who knows what mods on it) they tuned and the rest is just assumptions based on basic engine operation knowledge, that's if your lucky..

The majority of "chips or tunes" that you see basically for every car, They just adjust your parameters on theory!! The best way to do it if you are going to mail order tune is drive for 15/20 mins, log all the data, send it to the tuner he makes changes sends it back, and you repeat many times.. But the problem is our ECU's are not just flashed and programmable like most domestic vehicles. So for the genesis you have to send the whole ECU to them.. And that guy they had knew the Hyundai coding language and could rewrite the software via literally rewriting factory code.. but he has to crack it and cracking auto makers software is not easy.. remember VW and the envisions cause they had a hidden program that came on when you plugged an OBD reader in??

In the late 90's early 2000's (before fast and the furious or drifting existed in the US) no one had cracked really any ECU codes for Honda's, Nissan's, Toyota's etc any import really. All the turbo civics and JDM cars out there were using only bigger, injectors, bigger fuel pumps and regulators, and a piggy back.. Putting out stupid power.. But they were barely drivable on the street if at all. Only extremely rich guys or import drag racers had a legit stand alone engine management system, but again, those Stand alones didn't also have to control body control units and all the electronics and aspects of a luxury sedan.

That's why the factory ECU being reprogrammable from a laptop via tuning software like GM, Ford, FCA (Chrysler) Benz, BMW, Audi.. basically all but Asians have reprogramable factory ECU's.. Then the tuner plugs in and makes any change he wants and the car will operate like it was made to come that way when he's done..

The longest part of a real tune is doing the around town every day driving tuning. My GTO took 4 hours of drive 10 mins stop pull over he's on the laptop for 15 minutes, and then do it again and again until he's happy. You'll be happy and amazed at how much the car is better less than halfway through that process!! Lol The actual WOT tuning is a few runs on the dyno while he tweaks it to pull more HP. Then your car is perfectly tuned exactly for it and how you have it only..

And it still doesn't cost $1k!! To unlock your ECU it's $100, the street tune and Dyno tune cost $500 even.. so $600. A real tune is hands down the best mod you can get ;other than a huge power adder like boost or nitrous) and the best bang for your buck..

EVERY car that is built, the automakers have it tuned for safety and longevity.. they are ALL very conservative. Even ridiculously fast cars like ZR1 vette's or dodge hellcats leave the factory de-tuned.. it almost a given that they will pull a minimum of 20hp to the ground out of any car NA or not when it's bone stock.. But it's not just the power gain, it's the entire drive change and characteristics the "little details" that are perfect that make it such a must do mod..

DaNooch

Registered Member
Charlotte, NC
Genesis Model Type
Well said. You just summarized what needs to be done to get the Genesis 5.0 running it best.:)
What he summarized will also cost you thousands in parts alone!! Forget it if you pay people to work on your car.. Plus you may get the same increase in performance as a good custom tune..πŸ˜†πŸ˜†

Ballers over here... lol

MG8

$1K not bad and you get to keep your stock ecu no down time, still beats price of a tune for a AMG. "hiccups" nothing crazy its just a jerk that happens at times, but i found a solution for that. all in all once you have this thing in you wont want to take it back out.

carguy75

Registered Member
Atlanta, Georgia
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
[
What he summarized will also cost you thousands in parts alone!! Forget it if you pay people to work on your car.. Plus you may get the same increase in performance as a good custom tune..πŸ˜†πŸ˜†

Ballers over here... lol
LOL. This thread is for owners who wants to be fast and furious; not frugal and furious.:)

You got to spend money to make a car quicker. However, you may have inflated what it may cost to mod the car like the poster suggested.

MoonDoggy-X

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!

Ballers over here... lol
Take any N/A car.
So, you're saying if a mechanically stock car with an ecu tune, raced a car with full intake, exhaust, lightweight wheels, summer tires and a sprint booster, they'd be tied or even close???

πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

You're talking Dyno numbers, I'm talking real world acceleration. N/A cars need to be mechanically tuned/modded to see real gains. You can't "program" the intake and exhaust to be more efficient at higher rpm. You can't tune fire less drivetrain loss. One of the most effective parts of an N/A tune is remapping the throttle, and that can be simulated with the sprint booster. A good Dyno tune is a gift from God on a well modded, well maintained car. A tune on a stock car, you see minimal gains and a slight bump in driveability.

If these we're boosted car, you'd be absolutely right. They gain power from tunes simply by upping the boost, the rest of perameters are changed just to make sure the car handles the increased boost.

Last edited:

DaNooch

Registered Member
Charlotte, NC
Genesis Model Type
Take any N/A car.
So, you're saying if a mechanically stock car with an ecu tune, raced a car with full intake, exhaust, lightweight wheels, summer tires and a sprint booster, they'd be tied or even close???

πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

You're talking Dyno numbers, I'm talking real world acceleration. N/A cars need to be mechanically tuned/modded to see real gains. You can't "program" the intake and exhaust to be more efficient at higher rpm. You can't tune fire less drivetrain loss. One of the most effective parts of an N/A tune is remapping the throttle, and that can be simulated with the sprint booster. A good Dyno tune is a gift from God on a well modded, well maintained car. A tune on a stock car, you see minimal gains and a slight bump in driveability.

If these we're boosted car, you'd be absolutely right. They gain power from tunes simply by upping the boost, the rest of perameters are changed just to make sure the car handles the increased boost.
Well I think you don't understand the true fundamentals of how an engine makes power? First off you can't just slap a turbo car on the dyno and "change parameters" so the car will handle more boost? Lol Plus the only reason what you are talking about is even possible is because the manufacturer has it de-tuned..

See all cars are tuned by the factory to give the best performance they can while maintaining drive ability, comfort, mpg, but MAINLY, things like passing emissions, maintaining the life of the smog system, and keeping reliability up above all else. Doesn't matter what type of engine the car has, from the factory they are very conservative..The smallest power gain you'd see on any stock vehicle is 15/20 to the ground.. , ,

The only way an engine makes power is by burning fuel and air.. you wanna go faster? You burn more of that stuff or you take things off to make the power/weight greater..

You like many others greatly overestimate the power you gain from putting on a CAI and exhaust.. Take what manufacturers say and throw it out the window.. at most a intake will net you 2-5% power, exhausts on most cars are simply a sound change.. unless their are tons of cats and resonators or restrictions the most you'll gain is
2-3%. So say generously you put an intake and catback on a 3.8 gen you'll gain 16-17 hp..estimated.. That's pretty much the same to me?

You're only other mod deals with tweaking the drive by wire response. The car isn't faster? You just have to move the peddle waaaay less to get full throttle conditions. Now a real tune is going to set that response as well, it's going to change all the tq management. Shift points, rpms, harder faster shifting, they are going to lean your A/F out to make peak power while still being safe (which will melt and destroy cats) and they are going to keep throwing timing at it till it detonated.. But as I mentioned above via your comment on turbo cars, you can only increase the fuel so much before you run out of injector or pump etc..

Yes parasitic drag from unsprung weight is a big performance drop.. and reducing weight is the fastest and cheapest (via stripping stuff out) way to increase power. But good lightweight rims and summer tires are not at all cheap to say the least?? For an E-bay set of cast aluminum crap you're talking $1k before tires and they MIGHT be lighter than factory alloys. If you are talking about rims that are going to be 12-15 lbs lighter then bump that to $2500/3000 for the rims alone..

If the scenario happened that you mentioned above yes the tuned car would bear the intake, exhaust, throttle chip setup. BUT, if that bolt on car had the rims and tire setup it would prob win then.

Again it's about the same.. but if you tune the bolt on car it's a no brainer.

MoonDoggy-X

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
The things I have listed, I have tested in the real world. At the drag strip, not on a Dyno. I gained 6/10ths of a sec in the 1/4 mile with the bolt-ons + wheels and tires. I gained another 3/10th with the tune, AFTER the bolt-ons. I think we can all agree that you get more from a tune on a car that is modded, than on a stock car.

I understand pretty well how the engine makes an power, and I can tell that you do too. We are actually saying the same thing, but this is kind of off topic. The origin question posed was what are the OP's options now that BTR no longer offers a tune.

This is not about the merits of electronic vs mechanical tune, so I will try not to clog this thread with it.😁 Truly, if both are available, do both if you want to make your car faster.

DaNooch

Registered Member
Charlotte, NC
Genesis Model Type
The things I have listed, I have tested in the real world. At the drag strip, not on a Dyno. I gained 6/10ths of a sec in the 1/4 mile with the bolt-ons + wheels and tires. I gained another 3/10th with the tune, AFTER the bolt-ons. I think we can all agree that you get more from a tune on a car that is modded, than on a stock car.

I understand pretty well how the engine makes an power, and I can tell that you do too. We are actually saying the same thing, but this is kind of off topic. The origin question posed was what are the OP's options now that BTR no longer offers a tune.

This is not about the merits of electronic vs mechanical tune, so I will try not to clog this thread with it.😁 Truly, if both are available, do both if you want to make your car faster.
I agree completely that a tune is far superior if you have modifications. No doubt, my initial point was that this discontinued tune was $1k and you said "hey you can get that without a tune" which isn't false?

I was just saying that you are spending 3x the money for what you listed. The rotating mass reduction is what netted you the biggest results if I bet on it..

So now are we going to have send our PCM's to South Korea and wait months, if we want any tuning? They'll send it back and media center startup will be hello kitty.. lol

MG8

A tune on a stock car, you see minimal gains and a slight bump in driveability.

correct, the right way to do it , start with bolt ons , end with a tune so you pretty much get all mods working together and get the best out of all your mods for best results and max gains.

MG8

I agree completely that a tune is far superior if you have modifications. No doubt, my initial point was that this discontinued tune was $1k and you said "hey you can get that without a tune" which isn't false?

I was just saying that you are spending 3x the money for what you listed. The rotating mass reduction is what netted you the biggest results if I bet on it..

So now are we going to have send our PCM's to South Korea and wait months, if we want any tuning? They'll send it back and media center startup will be hello kitty.. lol
btr wasnt bad thankfully my tune came with in 2 weeks i was actually impressed , luke from btr has never let me down.