Ceramic Sealant

lt2211

Sustaining Member
Rockton, Illinois 61072
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I was going to ask you to UPS me a couple of 5 gallon cans at that price.

Here we are $2,99 to $3.09
R
That is a very good price for ceramic coating. Do you know what brand they used?
They use a relatively new and cheaper form of ceramic coating from Technicians choice. TEC580 XPC3 from what I can find the application process may be less involved than with the more expensive coatings. All I can say it looks great and is fantastic at repelling water. I. can tell you more in 2 years. :)

bubbaG80Sport

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I am a fan of the ceramic coating. I’ve not had it done on my black 2018 G80 sport because I had the entire front, mirrors, door handles and trunk step/lip “filmed”.

$220 seems inexpensive/a deal. I had it done in East Tennessee on my 2011 Genesis 3.8 (black exterior) at 50K miles in 2014.
Price was around $700 and this included:
  • full exterior/interior detail
  • "polishing" of exterior paint to remove swirls in paint
  • ceramic coating applied on all appropriate exterior surfaces.
  • Pulled a few door dings from inconsiderate people and vengeful/sadistic grocery shopping carts.
The car paint looked factory new upon completion. I only subsequently used spray on wax from Chemical guys when drying the car after a wash. I did not want to hand wax dry because it did not need it and I was worried about putting swirls on/in it again. The car would bead up with even/small beads when wet. I kept the car for another 50K miles/4 years and other than chips in the paint it was nearly flawless.

Ceramic coating will not protect getting paint chips, but will reduce swirls, etching from bugs and bird bombs, keeping paint looking fresh/new with only regular proper washing of the vehicle.

I’ll look to see what the ceramic coating brand was. It takes very little (about 15ml) and in 2014 was about $90 / bottle. The quality of the result is highly dependent upon the preparation and the installer/detailer skill. Do plan on leaving the car overnight. The coating needs to dry in a climate controlled/dry area.

Last edited:

lt2211

Sustaining Member
Rockton, Illinois 61072
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I am a fan of the ceramic coating. I’ve not had it done on my black 2018 G80 sport because I had the entire front, mirrors, door handles and trunk step/lip “filmed”.

$220 seems inexpensive/a deal. I had it done in East Tennessee on my 2011 Genesis 3.8 (black exterior) at 50K miles in 2014.
Price was around $700 and this included:
  • full exterior/interior detail
  • "polishing" of exterior paint to remove swirls in paint
  • ceramic coating applied on all appropriate exterior surfaces.
  • Pulled a few door dings from inconsiderate people and vengeful/sadistic grocery shopping carts.
The car paint looked factory new upon completion. I only subsequently used spray on wax from Chemical guys when drying the car after a wash. I did not want to hand wax dry because it did not need it and I was worried about putting swirls on/in it again. The car would bead up with even/small beads when wet. I kept the car for another 50K miles/4 years and other than chips in the paint it was nearly flawless.

Ceramic coating will not protect getting paint chips, but will reduce swirls, etching from bugs and bird bombs, keeping paint looking fresh/new with only regular proper washing of the vehicle.

I’ll look to see what the ceramic coating brand was. It takes very little (about 15ml) and in 2014 was about $90 / bottle. The quality of the result is highly dependent upon the preparation and the installer/detailer skill. Do plan on leaving the car overnight. The coating needs to dry in a climate controlled/dry area.[/QUOTE

Here are some pictures. The surface is so "mirror like" that all you see is the interior of the garage. It might be noted these pictures were taken after it rained and I blew the droplets off the car with a small leaf blower.

Attachments

Last edited:

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
That looks slick. At first I was wondering what all that stuff was on the hood and realized it is a reflection. I'd gladly pay $220 to look that good.

Gozar

Registered Member
Austin, TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Reviving an old thread....
I am getting Ceramic on my 2019 G80 Sport (Himalayan Grey) in a few days, bought it last Friday so should only need minor Paint Correction.
Anyone used a Tintworld for this? I wanted a nationwide warranty and to get it done before I move to the Snow and salt in Idaho....

G80FAN

Hasn't posted much yet...
Georgia
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Just keep in mind no two ceramic coating services are alike. We have a very well known detailer here in North Georgia that specializes in sports cars and high-end vehicles. They are recognized in the area for their nano-ceramic coating services offering 4 different ceramic coating packages from Basic to Gold Package. Basic covers hand detailing of the paint surface and only 1 coat of ceramic coating (6-month warranty). The Gold Package includes hand detail, clay bar, buffing prep, 2-step paint correction and more and includes 5 coats ceramic coating (Lifetime Warranty). Therein lies the price ranges others have referenced; $200 to $1500 +. Just some cautionary advise to know what you're getting for price paid. In no way am I connected to a car detailer or ceramic coating service. Attached is pic of the ceramic coating used by the detailer referenced here.

Attachments

G-383444

Good input, they have 4 levels of packages. I chose the Premium, hand wash-claybar-buff & paint correction-base coat+top coat on paint, 1 coat on windshield+1 coat on wheels. $799

scottdk

Registered Member
Minnesota
I've had 3 cars ceramic coated, and it's pretty much just amazing at repelling water and keeping the car cleaner longer.

The proper process for Ceramic coating:

1. Washing the car to perfection is key
  2. Clay bar full paint and glass to remove what a car wash can't
  3. Full polish to remove swirls, scratches etc.
  4. Apply ceramic coating
  5. Let cure for 12 to 24 hours depending on brand of ceramic coating.
This process is generally over $800, but IMO it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to put a long term coating that last 4+ years in my experience over contaminants and a finish with imperfections.

leggy

Been here awhile...
SoCal
When I did my G90 I paid around $1,150 I think for the body, wheels and glasses and it carne with 3y warrantee. Unless you wash your car yourself on a weekly bases and take very good care out the body then I am not sure it's worth to spend as much as I did

Gozar

Registered Member
Austin, TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Got my G80 back and it looks stellar! They spent one full day detailing it - wash, clay bar, paint correction - 2nd day coating it - and on the third day I decided to have them tint the windows. Total was $1600 and that included clear UV tint on front windshield.
I am very happy and it comes with a nationwide warranty. I am going to drive my wife nuts with my OCD of keeping it clean, hand wash only!
I will post a few pictures later.

Twolf

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
The clouds are a reflection on my hood, it’s like a damn mirror!View attachment 18580
See attached photos. Applied Pinnacle Souveran paste wax ($69.00), and waited a week. Then simply apply the same but in spray ($29.00) after each wash. Enough to wax and spray the car quite a few times vs $1100.00 (wow) for coatings. And if you insist on coatings, Mothers CMX (around $20.00) spray has some great reviews). Caveat emptor on pricey stuff. I have been keeping cars shiny since 1979, seen a lot of hogwash (pun intended) lately. And another option for shine, protection, and durability is Collinite products. Enjoy the savings on good bourbon instead.

Attachments

lt2211

Sustaining Member
Rockton, Illinois 61072
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
See attached photos. Applied Pinnacle Souveran paste wax ($69.00), and waited a week. Then simply apply the same but in spray ($29.00) after each wash. Enough to wax and spray the car quite a few times vs $1100.00 (wow) for coatings. And if you insist on coatings, Mothers CMX (around $20.00) spray has some great reviews). Caveat emptor on pricey stuff. I have been keeping cars shiny since 1979, seen a lot of hogwash (pun intended) lately. And another option for shine, protection, and durability is Collinite products. Enjoy the savings on good bourbon instead.
Very nice!

Gozar

Registered Member
Austin, TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Looks great!

With two herniated discs I cannot spend that much time hunkered over my car. Coating is warranted for 5 years, I can handle a quick wash and then spraying on a quick shine w/ceramic in it. To me it was worth it to do it while brand new. To each their own.

Detailrookie

Genesis Model Type
Be very careful over the Ceramic Coating hype and false promises. They will NOT make your car any less susceptible to swirls and scratches! They WILL make your car more susceptible to water spotting! As another member stated, the process prior to costing the car is the most important part and the reason for the high cost. The paint has to be show room perfect or it will affect the look and performance of the coating. Another important factor is how you maintain your car. If you drive you car through the car wash, do not spend your money on a coating as it will trash the coating in no time. Coatings should be maintain by hand washes or by a detailer.

There are also a lot of fake "ceramic coatings." If you do decide to go that route, do your homework and choose one from a reputable company with good reviews.

I have a coated car and a non coated car, and there is very little difference between the water behavior and self cleaning abilities.

This post isn't meant to deter anyone from coating their car, but to provide a little more information and clear up some of the false information circulating.

Twolf

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Be very careful over the Ceramic Coating hype and false promises. They will NOT make your car any less susceptible to swirls and scratches! They WILL make your car more susceptible to water spotting! As another member stated, the process prior to costing the car is the most important part and the reason for the high cost. The paint has to be show room perfect or it will affect the look and performance of the coating. Another important factor is how you maintain your car. If you drive you car through the car wash, do not spend your money on a coating as it will trash the coating in no time. Coatings should be maintain by hand washes or by a detailer.

There are also a lot of fake "ceramic coatings." If you do decide to go that route, do your homework and choose one from a reputable company with good reviews.

I have a coated car and a non coated car, and there is very little difference between the water behavior and self cleaning abilities.

This post isn't meant to deter anyone from coating their car, but to provide a little more information and clear up some of the false information circulating.
All great points. And let's face it, the car already has the toughest coating from the factory - the clear coat. I can't wait for someone to come up with a ceramic junior/lite coating to go over the ones out there today. Layer after layer and the producers laughing all the way to the bank. Today we have foamers, soakers, 2 bucket washes, clay bars, various cuts of compounds, glazes, IPA wipe downs, polishes...on and on and on. Just keep it clean, wax it regularly, spray detail after wash following a good wax and that is all one needs. Be sure to remove bird droppings quickly, those can ruin any protection, including the clear coat. Boom.

danygenesis

Registered Member
Miami, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I've always been fan of Pinnacle Souveran and Collinite products (expecially No 915) Now I'm experimenting with Mothers CMX. Application is a breeze, water beading is outstanding and shining is awesome. Durability seems to be not as long as Mothers said but time will tell.
The big secret about car detailing is preparation. Wash, clay and polishing. I always do this twice a year then apply any wax, sealant or coating (depending what I'm gonna use) The rest is only maintenence after every wash. I never wash my cars on any automatic machines neither let the dealers or anybody to wash my cars.

Last edited:
Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.