• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Curbed my rim

Miked218

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
^ yeah i seen those around a lot these days. while i've never been a fan, they do look halfway decent if the colour matches the rim - or at least they are subtle so as not to offend. some clowns like to use contrasting colours - like a bright red protector on a silver rim, etc. not cool, especially once they get damaged.

usually these protectors wind up beat to hell so they look like crap or become partially dislodged, but i suppose the wheel is spared the damage and the protector is easier/cheaper to replace than fixing a wheel.
I agree, not a fan especially contrasting colors. As long as they don't fly off the wheel at high speeds and damage my car or cause an accident and hurt someone they might work.I ordered black Nylon ones ( hopefully blend in with the tire and be wide enough to cover the scuffs without looking goofy, could be better or could be worse than just leaving the wheels scuffed ) off eBay for $50 for a set of four and if not then just return them before even installing them.

Dai Uy Ted

Registered Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Titusville FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport

Miked218

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
At $160, plus cost of the recommended "authorized trained install center" (in my location, the local Lexus dealer - minimum $70/hour?), the minor blemishes these may prevent, would likely be corrected more economically.
I watched the install videos of that specific offering and doesn't look like anyone would need any kind of special authorized training to install it yourself. If they are recommending that it be installed by an "authorized trained install center" but yet provide installation instructions to the general public, they are just trying to give support to dealers as payback for them buying into their product. I think most people on this forum are smart enough and capable enough to perform much more complex installations and nobody, unless they have more money than brains and/or are lazy would never take something like wheel protection guards to a secret special Area 51 location and pay them to do something they themselves can easily do on their own. Again, however I agree that even just the $160 for a set of four (specifying just one company's product) is opportunistic. It's not wrong, in fact, if people are willing to buy something at a certain price and a company makes a killin' that's capitalisim. I, for one, prefer to learn and do things myself and know there is always something better and/or less expensive which is why I bought a $49 solution and will do the install myself. Seems like the most economical way to go.....however I did purchase a paint pen for wheels that is supposed to "cover" up the damage after a little bit of prep. I received the paint pen yesterday. Haven't used it yet, that was even more "economical" since it was less than $5 from Korea but if something doesn't work then whether it's $1 or $1MM it's junk. I'll try out both and update my experience with each option.

Miked218

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
^Let us know how it turns out and what your thoughts are...
Here's the update. I bought the no name brand heavy duty nylon wheel protectors. Received them last week. Today I only had time to install it on one tire. At first, I thought they sent the wrong size because it took me awhile to get it on the wheel. It's the correct size just very ridged but now I have it figured out the other 3 should be much quicker and easier. The pictures are the before and after straight on view and top side view. My tires are 255/35r19 all the way around. It does make the profile look wider as it blends well with the tire. It's been raining lately so it's pretty dirty. Well see how it looks when both wheels and tires are fully cleaned and shined. I actually think they look really good and not enen noticeable in my opinion. $49 well spent. 20190820_182905.jpg20190820_182838.jpg20190820_182849.jpg20190820_190115.jpg