Dealers with 2019s

TurtleBoy

Registered Member
Colorado
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
No new states today but we had quite a few dealers issued a code:

In addition to a garlic festival, Gilroy will also have a Genesis dealer and they were joined in CA by Stockton.

In Pennsylvania, Willow Grove and moving west to York were issued codes.

In Utah, you will be able to ski and pick up a Genesis in Ogden. If hiking is more your style head on down to St. George to get one.

(Forgive me, been playing with the Grandson all day so had to come up with something to post. :) )

Ann L.

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
This is extremely helpful information. Appreciate it. I did notice there are none in San Diego, and closest is Escondito and Carlsbad. Wonder why. As a buyer it is not explained about Hyundai and Genesis and who is selling what to who. Don't know if that is by plan. Hopefully everything will even out soon. It would be interesting to see a map of all the states that do and do not have service/dealerships so if you are planning a long road trip you can do better planning. I don't plan to plot these on a map but Genesis should be able to do that for all owners.

TurtleBoy

Registered Member
Colorado
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
We passed the quarter century mark and now have 251 dealers with inventory. Yesterday I found a list of US dealers that Lexus published on 12/1/2018 and there are 241 dealers in the country. Even though Genesis has not competed the dealer network they already have more dealers in the country than Lexus has.

PA is lonely on the watchlist. Given the remaining states aren't too populous, we may only have a state or two left at this point.

Attachments

TurtleBoy

Registered Member
Colorado
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
As mentioned above, Pennsylvania received some inventory as well as some other new dealers bringing us up to 262.

The watchlist is currently empty and if I had to take a SWAG at the activity with Genesis' dealers for the foreseeable future I would say they will continue to add some dealers in existing states but there won't be any new states added, the probable exception to that will be Colorado.

Attachments

Genesisimo

Registered Member
SoCal
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
This is extremely helpful information. Appreciate it. I did notice there are none in San Diego, and closest is Escondito and Carlsbad. Wonder why. As a buyer it is not explained about Hyundai and Genesis and who is selling what to who. Don't know if that is by plan. Hopefully everything will even out soon. It would be interesting to see a map of all the states that do and do not have service/dealerships so if you are planning a long road trip you can do better planning. I don't plan to plot these on a map but Genesis should be able to do that for all owners.
Corporate rollout and DMV licensing in California has taken some time. Genesis of Kearny Mesa (in San Diego) is licensed and doing business, per phone call from their sales manager. And I purchased my 2019 G80 Sport 3.3TT from Genesis of Palmdale on 3/5/19.

TurtleBoy

Registered Member
Colorado
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Strange that adding dealers in NY has stalled? As for upstate, the two dealers are 300 miles apart [Amherst (Buffalo area) and Queensbury (well north of Albany)], leaving central NY and much of western NY with no local dealer.
Genesis of Ithaca has been issued a dealer code so getting some more coverage up there.

jfwpa

Western Pennsylvania
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
Genesis of Wexford has been issued a dealer code, hope it helps.
Genesis of Wexford has been issued a dealer code, hope it helps.
Living in the Pittsburgh, PA area, I was concerned that my 2009 Hyundai Genesis 4.6 sedan was about to become an ‘orphan’ of sorts, as my Hyundai/Genesis dealer took the buyout from Genesis, and no new Genesis dealers have yet to be appointed/announced for the area. I even called Genesis directly earlier this year, and was offered no assurance that the Pittsburgh, PA area would even have a Genesis dealer! Potentially very bad news for me and my Genesis.

While doing some online research yesterday, a link to a thread from your forum, led me to the information that I had been seeking. According to member “TurtleBoy’ who somehow (thankfully) has access to Genesis dealer appointments via assigned dealer codes, a local Hyundai dealer has been granted a franchise in my area in the last week, much to my relief and appreciation. I gladly joined Genesis Forums immediately, as a proud Genesis owner and all around automobile enthusiast, to allow me to properly say thank you!

Thank you Genesis Forums members -- especially TurtleBoy -- for making this helpful platform for "all-things-Genesis" information available to those in search of it.

Hope this thread gets properly posted, as I know absolutely nothing about how forums like this work.

jfwpa

Quote Reply

TurtleBoy

Registered Member
Colorado
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
^ Welcome aboard and hope you enjoy the forum.

It is good you will have a Genesis dealer nearby but you would have been fine. The pre-2019 Genesis models can be serviced by both Genesis and Hyundai dealers. In your case since it is a Hyundai, I don't think the Genesis dealer will actually work on yours but rather the Hyundai side of the dealership. Could be the same tech but just rather how the paperwork is handled.

jfwpa

Western Pennsylvania
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
^ Welcome aboard and hope you enjoy the forum.

It is good you will have a Genesis dealer nearby but you would have been fine. The pre-2019 Genesis models can be serviced by both Genesis and Hyundai dealers. In your case since it is a Hyundai, I don't think the Genesis dealer will actually work on yours but rather the Hyundai side of the dealership. Could be the same tech but just rather how the paperwork is handled.
Thank you sir.
I was advised by Genesis, that in the event that no Genesis dealer was appointed in my area, that my Hyundai dealer would/could continue to service my vehicle, as it was a Hyundai, as you rightly point out. However, last spring (2018) when I brought my car in for state inspections/service/recommended maintenance, and knowing my dealer would not be a future Genesis dealer, I asked about parts availability for a model/brand that they were no longer selling. I was told that there is only so much space to physically maintain a parts inventory for a relatively low-volume Hyundai like my Genesis 4.6 model, and that parts might have to be ordered in the future -- depending on the nature of the repair. While acceptable, the thought of a future of possibly delayed repairs due to parts not being in stock is not an optimal situation or solution, especially when it is my every day driver. I will contact the service manager at the newly-appointed Genesis dealer before I make a more informed decision as to where I will service my vehicle in the future.

jfwpa

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Last edited:

Ann L.

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
This information is all very disappointing. If I had any idea of how thin Genesis is spread across the US, and how I suffered a system break down in a vehicle with 8K miles that I paid $75K plus I would have never bought/leased this car. I am still having buyers remorse and glad I only have two more years on this lease. I still get a whim of an odor if I make a hard stop, and don't know if it is coolant or windshield wiper fluid. The only good situation here in Phoenix area is there are 4 Hyundai dealerships, only 1 of which I trust with repair/maintenance. This forum has been invaluable to me to learn about all the issues facing Genesis buyers. I don't understand EdP and Turtleboy's (doesn't own a Genesis) relationship to Genesis but appreciate their inputs.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

YEH

Registered Member
NYC/MD
Don't get too excited that a new dealer will have a large inventory either. Every year there are less of the model on the road and less chance parts will be needed. While the manufacturer has to have parts available, they can be at a central warehouse to be shipped to the dealer than needs them.

Dealers will put their money into parts that move, not so much for the "just in case" scenario.
Esp. as the new Genesis dealerships will only have about a year of selling the current G80 before the new gen model arrives.

And it depends a lot on how many Genesis models (mostly the G80) the Hyundai dealership has sold and services.

If they were a high volume dealer (w/ respect to the G80), then they'd be more apt to keep some of the parts that are apt to being needed replaced.

Even if Genesis models had been continued to be sold at Hyundai dealerships, lower volume dealerships likely wouldn't keep in stock much in the way of parts.

Just not worth the overhead, and it wouldn't be limited to just Genesis models, but other low volume models like the Azera (even if it had not been discontinued).

This information is all very disappointing. If I had any idea of how thin Genesis is spread across the US, and how I suffered a system break down in a vehicle with 8K miles that I paid $75K plus I would have never bought/leased this car. I am still having buyers remorse and glad I only have two more years on this lease. I still get a whim of an odor if I make a hard stop, and don't know if it is coolant or windshield wiper fluid. The only good situation here in Phoenix area is there are 4 Hyundai dealerships, only 1 of which I trust with repair/maintenance. This forum has been invaluable to me to learn about all the issues facing Genesis buyers. I don't understand EdP and Turtleboy's (doesn't own a Genesis) relationship to Genesis but appreciate their inputs.
W/ 400 or so Genesis dealerships when it is all said and done, that would be more dealerships than any of the Germans and considerably more than what Lexus has (less than 240) across the country.

Only Cadillac and Lincoln have more dealerships, but the majority of their dealerships are small volume dealerships affixed to a Chevy, Buick/GMC or Ford store and less than 1k sales in volume/yr (many doing only around 500 in volume).

The vast bulk of lux sale are concentrated in the 20-25 largest markets.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

rbwillnj

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
So here in western New Jersey, I have three Hyundai Dealerships within half an hour, all of which used to carry Genesis. At least two of them set up separate show rooms for Genesis, but they were at the same location as the Hyundai dealership and shared the service department. None of them qualified to continue as a Genesis Dealership, and now the closest Genesis Dealership is a good hour away.

That's not a big deal when you are buying a car, but is problematic for service. Not a problem right now as my 2018 is still serviced by the Hyundai dealership with concierge service. It will be interesting to see if they are willing to continue with the concierge service for the full three years when they no longer sell the brand.

Not sure if the rules have changed, but at one point I was told that the Concierge service was available for customers within 30 minutes (some dealerships I talked to were willing to stretch it for 40 minutes). If the only Genesis dealers are an hour or more distant, will concierge service still be available if I purchase a new Genesis?

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.