• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

first service is when?

danygenesis

Genesis owner
Miami, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
It is just an advertising sticker. Whoever gives the best discount get to put a sticker on the car. If the employees on the assembly line get Dr. Pepper in the break-room at a discount you'd find a Drink Dr. Pepper sticker too.
The big deal is that this advertising sticker is completely stupid. There is no Shell Helix in USA. It's like advertising a snow removal vehicle in South Florida. Priceless.

TurtleBoy

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Colorado
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

danygenesis

Genesis owner
Miami, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
People will see the Shell name and have no clue about Helix. Genesis sells cars around the world and probably uses the same sticker on most of them.

Take a look at this Shell website and you see Quaker State and Pennzoil too.
Engine oil and lubricants
So...since all this is confusing...I decided to investigate a bit more.

Under the hood we have Quaker State and Shell Helix...in North American Cars. In the manual we see Quaker State and an ACEA A5/B5.

So...
- No Shell Helix in NA
- No Quaker State fully synthetic with ACEA A5/B5 rating

Confusing right?

I called Shell...and talked to a Pennzoil/QS tech.

Essentially...the Pennzoil is the big boy of oils (within Shell). High performance cars have Pennzoil. Pennzoil also meets all the regulations, etc. For some reason...they don't fork out the bucks to get QS certified with ACEA.

To add...GF5 is more of a fuel economy rating. It has nothing to do with whether an oil is a blend or fully synthetic.

So take all that as you will. Genesis seems to be tied with Shell...so they should be using the Pennzoil Ultra to meet the spec they put in the manual. This is per the tech...and I totally agree.

Over and out...B.

kingpinscher

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
@Beefer remember when I was getting my oil changed and you suggested I call Geneses Corporate? I did and they told me the same thing Dany and Turtle are saying. I think we can safely say that the official word from Genesis is they can use a synthetic blend
Apologies for bringing up an old thread, but I searched for the 3k versus 6k service, and came upon this. My G70 just surpassed 3k miles. I also live in Vegas - do you take your vehicle for service at the Genesis of Las Vegas or Henderson? How's your experience been thus far?

joschneider

G70 Member
Las Vegas, NV
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Apologies for bringing up an old thread, but I searched for the 3k versus 6k service, and came upon this. My G70 just surpassed 3k miles. I also live in Vegas - do you take your vehicle for service at the Genesis of Las Vegas or Henderson? How's your experience been thus far?
I purchased it from and get it serviced at Henderson. So for service I work exclusively with Bennie, the service manager. His extension is 123, and a quick phone call to schedule oil changes is pretty easy and pain free. Bennie recommends the severe schedule for service here in Vegas, which is every 3k miles. They are quick to offer valet right away, but in my experience its availability is always far out and I just drop it off and do a loaner. Ive only gotten a loaner once, and it was a base 2.0 G70. Everything about it was easy and pain free....except for my oil argument.

So Bennie will argue about the oil all day long but hes under the impression that more oil changes = makes up for synthetic blend. My argument is that no matter how often they change it, a synthetic blend cannot stand up to the high heat that our turbos put out. Changing it more frequently def will prevent burned out oil from circulating in our engines and turbos for too long, but I still choose not to cheap out on my nice-ass car. They will let you do a full synthetic upgrade for about 25 dollars. Ive done this once, and he chose not to charge me for it. Ill be doing it from now on.

All in all, for service theyve been great. They are pretty mod friendly as well, my last car was with them and I had intakes/tune/exhaust and they never said a word, even fixed my turbo for me under warranty when I cooked the oil in it by doing stupid shit while the engine was still cold. I asked them what they would do if I wanted to do the same mods to my G70...they said no problems.

Hope this helps!

kingpinscher

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I purchased it from and get it serviced at Henderson. So for service I work exclusively with Bennie, the service manager. His extension is 123, and a quick phone call to schedule oil changes is pretty easy and pain free. Bennie recommends the severe schedule for service here in Vegas, which is every 3k miles. They are quick to offer valet right away, but in my experience its availability is always far out and I just drop it off and do a loaner. Ive only gotten a loaner once, and it was a base 2.0 G70. Everything about it was easy and pain free....except for my oil argument.

So Bennie will argue about the oil all day long but hes under the impression that more oil changes = makes up for synthetic blend. My argument is that no matter how often they change it, a synthetic blend cannot stand up to the high heat that our turbos put out. Changing it more frequently def will prevent burned out oil from circulating in our engines and turbos for too long, but I still choose not to cheap out on my nice-ass car. They will let you do a full synthetic upgrade for about 25 dollars. Ive done this once, and he chose not to charge me for it. Ill be doing it from now on.

All in all, for service theyve been great. They are pretty mod friendly as well, my last car was with them and I had intakes/tune/exhaust and they never said a word, even fixed my turbo for me under warranty when I cooked the oil in it by doing stupid shit while the engine was still cold. I asked them what they would do if I wanted to do the same mods to my G70...they said no problems.

Hope this helps!
Super helpful, thanks man. I'll look to reach out to Bernie soon based on your recommendation. I'll also pay the 25 bucks if necessary.

It's unfortunate that we're stuck paying an "upgrade" for an oil change that should be included, but I'd rather not risk it.

Thanks again, joschneider. Love the car thus far.

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70

Hope this helps!

Sounds like you've got a cool dealership. Nice.

nellie1289

Registered Member
Portland, Oregon
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I am scheduled to take mine in next Tuesday to the locals who wouldn’t sell me a car to begin with. Ironically six months later the same exact car is still on their lot. Lol. Skipping the valet. Just gonna wait for it.

TinsleyC

Registered Member
Dallas, TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Unless I'm not reading it correctly, the ACEA A5 spec requires a 5W-30 full synthetic oil - period. How could the owners manual recommend a one-year oil change interval with a non full synthetic oil?

The dealers offering less just don't want to give up their more expensive oil, it don't have it.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I am scheduled to take mine in next Tuesday to the locals who wouldn’t sell me a car to begin with. Ironically six months later the same exact car is still on their lot. Lol. Skipping the valet. Just gonna wait for it.

Good luck. They overtightened my oil drain plug, and the oil filter housing. Also, they use crap Motorcraft semi-synthetic oil.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

TinsleyC

Registered Member
Dallas, TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
There are other reasons as well, such as engine starts on very cold days. Plus, the manual says you can go up to one year between oil changes (7,500 or 12 months) and I wouldn't want anything other than a synthetic in there if it was in there that long. Traditional oil needs to be changed every 6 months.

TinsleyC

Registered Member
Dallas, TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Curious about the design of the 3.8L air filter access cover... it's under a bolted down a support bar. Seems like an awkward design.

Here's a video on how to replace it.

1575583942788.png

The manual doesn't offer much -
1575584136521.png

Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums