Fogging up?

powerslide

Registered Member
I experienced the full fog over Friday while driving in foggy conditions near 32 degrees. PMCErnie, I can assure you I used the defrost button and it didn't help one bit. The problem was that the HVAC wouldn't allow me to recirc the air with the AC on. It insisted on bringing in outside air and that brought the moisture with it. If I set my temp to "low", and used windshield and foot well vents, I could manually set the fans to max and that got me going until I started freezing. When I was forced to the side of the road again, I eventually turned off the auto recirc and left the rest in auto and it didn't happen anymore. Coincidence? Who knows.

CanukV6

Registered Member
At the risk of allowing PMCErnie the opportunity for yet another lesson on the location and use of the Defog/Defrost buttons, I will report that the fogging issue re-occurred last weekend and the 'Auto-Defog' feature did nothing to alleviate the problem. Manual mode cleared it after about a minute, but I am at a loss as to why it happened in the first place (it wasn't unduly humid outside), or why the Auto-Defog sensor never switched the system automatically. This feature worked great on my 2012 and 2009 models.

PhorenReign

Getting familiar with the group...
Maryland
It's been in the upper 80's here this summer, and i've been having issues getting my windshield to defrost as well.. Usually in the morning, however now it's fogging up during the day as well. Tried all kinds of modes with the defrost on ! with no LUCK. has anyone resolved this ....?

McGyver9

Hasn't posted much yet...
NY
Last friday it was raning/snowing, right around 32-33 degree at night. I was driving, as usual, auto defrost on, smart vent on, temp set at 72 degree at full auto, synced with passenger, no windows opened, alone in the car.

I felt the air going to the windshield time to time, auto defrost was working? All of sudden, my windshielf fogged up to the point where I only had about 10-20% of real estate of visibility in the middle of windshield. It happened in the matter of a few seconds!!! At which point, car diverted full air to windshield, but it was not clearing. I actually had to pull to the side because I couldn't see anything out the windshield. Nothing broke, I don't think, because it eventually cleared up after a few minutes. Car has less than 2000 miles.

I can honestly say I never had such problem with other similarly priced cars in the past. Probably one of worst and dummist HVAC system in a car from my experience.

When wiper is on, while heater is on, turn the AC on by default! Or at least when outside temperature is near freezing degree. And start using outside air instead of recirculation. What good is CO2 system that pulls outside air when air is stuffy inside when visibility outward becomes near zero and fails to draw in outside air?
So, I'm being a good boy, and using the 'search' to answer my question first...
Did you ever get an answer on this DANGEROUS issue? (besides the smart ass ones about using the defrost button)

The air coming out of the defroster vents suddenly starts blowing 100% humidity, when it's ZERO degrees outside, and dry as a popcorn fart.
You can feel/smell the humidity...it's like walking out of an overly air conditioned store, into a ballsticker 98 degree parking lot.
So, when it hits the cold windshield, it instantly fogs..

First time, I was sitting at an idle for 30 minutes, waiting for someone at the airport.....so I chalked it up to being sitting there, and condensation building up in the system or something.
Next time, I was driving down the thruway....on the road for an hour...suddenly, it was like someone dumped out the cooked pasta/boiling water into the vents....instantly fogged...
My wife many times has come out to the car to come home from work, to find the inside of the windshield and all of the windows needing scraped on the INSIDE!

This happens so sporadically, that it's just silly to suggest to take it to the dealership...they might have it for a week or two before it happens again..
Anyone have a solution?

Thanks in advance

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

McGyver9

Hasn't posted much yet...
NY
Thanks for the reply, Ed..

There were a couple people in this thread that experienced this also...
I was hoping that they were 'notified' when someone posted in the thread that they posted in/were following....hoping that THEY had an answer from their experience.

The A/C evaporator/condensation build-up is MY guess too...
I had a Sonata before this car, and had a condensation drain plugged, that built up so much water that it was dumping water on the floorboard.

I'm telling you though, this 'experience', if it weren't for the absence of the odor of antifreeze, I would swear that there was a hole in the heater core....spraying out boiling water.
It is THAT bad, and FAST.
But that isn't going to reseal itself.....and again, no odor...

Thinking I'm going to make my own post, so more people see it.

Thanks again,

Chris

Peter

Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
I bought my 2015 Genesis in November of 2018, with 31K on the odometer. I'm experiencing this problem every time when it rains, specifically in a slow traffic, and it escalates when there is another person, or two in the car. I'm happy for those on this forum that try to be smart and ask questions like, "I wonder what the front defrost button is for".... Unfortunately no front defrost button, turning AC on, even though it should run automatically, or trying anything else will help. I've owned close to 20 different cars in my live and never came across a situation like that, even with cars that had no AC I was able to manage it better. Since it is happening regularly, and since there was no need to use AC to cool the temperature, I wonder if my AC is really working?

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

Peter

Genesis Model Type
Obviously something not working properly. When you turn on defrost do you feel the air coming out above the dash? If is is blowing properly I'd check to see if the AC is coming on, otherwise, perhaps a damper is sticking.

Yes, it should also come on automatically anyway. I've driven my 2015 about 45,000 miles and my 2018 G80 about 15,000 miles and don't ever recall having to turn the defroster on let alone have it not do the job.
Thank you for your quick response. I certainly feel the air coming out above the dash, unfortunately it makes little or no difference. One thing I forgot to mention is that after driving in the rain, when I get back little later, the first thing that happens when I start the car, the windshield becomes foggy immediately, but the fog disappears quickly. Does it support the possibility that AC is not coming?

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

surprisinguy

Registered Member
NC
Genesis Model Type
Check your floorboards for moisture too

JeffSea40

Registered Member
Seattle area
I seem to remember seeing something in the owner's manual regarding fogging can happen in certain conditions … with the recirculation button selected …

Anybody think there is a connection?

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

Smetex

Genesis Model Type
Last friday it was raning/snowing, right around 32-33 degree at night. I was driving, as usual, auto defrost on, smart vent on, temp set at 72 degree at full auto, synced with passenger, no windows opened, alone in the car.

I felt the air going to the windshield time to time, auto defrost was working? All of sudden, my windshielf fogged up to the point where I only had about 10-20% of real estate of visibility in the middle of windshield. It happened in the matter of a few seconds!!! At which point, car diverted full air to windshield, but it was not clearing. I actually had to pull to the side because I couldn't see anything out the windshield. Nothing broke, I don't think, because it eventually cleared up after a few minutes. Car has less than 2000 miles.

I can honestly say I never had such problem with other similarly priced cars in the past. Probably one of worst and dummist HVAC system in a car from my experience.

When wiper is on, while heater is on, turn the AC on by default! Or at least when outside temperature is near freezing degree. And start using outside air instead of recirculation. What good is CO2 system that pulls outside air when air is stuffy inside when visibility outward becomes near zero and fails to draw in outside air?
I have had the same exact issue with terrible fogging and had to pull over as well because I couldn’t see anything. I have had the car in twice for this issue, but they have found nothing. My first Genesis never had this issue, but the newest 2015 did from day one, very disappointing!!

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80