G80 rear vibration

Billson

Hasn't posted much yet...
Minnesota
It's the driveshaft coupler. It hardens, vibrates when not loosened up yet, then smoothes out after warming up.

Keep us updated.
I think it's the driveshaft coupler too, because it smooths out after warming up. I went to the dealer, and they said they'd have to replace the driveshaft, to the tune of $1800. Mine is a 2017 G80 AWD; is there any way to find out if the coupler can be had separate?

Billson

Minnesota
It's the driveshaft coupler. It hardens, vibrates when not loosened up yet, then smoothes out after warming up.

Keep us updated.
I found a TSB dated September 2020, for 2017-2018 G80 AWD vehicles. It talks about checking the propellor shaft angle, but, it says for cars produced before September 12, 2018, which of course my 2017 was, to just go ahead and replace the propellor shaft, then check to see if the vibration is gone. If not, then check the shaft angle.

TinsleyC

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Dallas, TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Yes the driveshaft couplers can be bought separately.

I wonder how it will affect the car if you turn it off in neutral and set the parking brake. That way there should be less stress on the driveshaft & coupler while it sits.

This isn't my theory; these ideas have been discussed on the forum.. but it makes sense to me.

My car doesn't have these issues, but it's a base 3.8. Or maybe I'm just lucky!

Looking to update and upgrade your Genesis luxury sport automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

Billson

Minnesota
Yes the driveshaft couplers can be bought separately.

I wonder how it will affect the car if you turn it off in neutral and set the parking brake. That way there should be less stress on the driveshaft & coupler while it sits.

This isn't my theory; these ideas have been discussed on the forum.. but it makes sense to me.

My car doesn't have these issues, but it's a base 3.8. Or maybe I'm just lucky!
Thanks for the tips; I haven't been able to find the couplers separately. Do you know where I can look?

Billson

Minnesota
Just got back from Hyundai/Genesis dealer. Parts department says this vehicle (2017 G80 AWD) doesn't use driveshaft couplers. The guy knew what I was talking about, but he says it just attaches with metal flanges. Guess I'll pay for a diagnostic next week and see what they suggest.

ultimatequeen

Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Ultimate
I noticed some vibration consistently within driving at low speeds, especially when first starting the car. But pushing this car to high speeds tends to ease the vibrations, I agree!
Mine vibrates inconsistently. Hard acceleration smooth as butter. Mild to medium acceleration and it vibrates like crazy from 50-60

Billson

Minnesota
I took it in a week ago and they said it's the tires; out of balance. These tires are only several months old. Goodyear Assurance ComfortDrive. They balanced them, said that should take care of it, but of course it didn't. I can feel it anywhere from 20-30 mph on up, then it smooths out after driving it 10-15 minutes. Took it back and they're still blaming the tires; they say these Genesis cars are 'sensitive' to tires! They suggest either live with it or buy new tires. 2017 G80 3.8 AWD, 59k miles.