Genesis at home service

Mcc

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
it's just not worth the headache of then having to restore the paint afterwards. washing by hand only takes ~30mins and is kinda fun/therapeutic after working behind a desk all day.
Don’t you think a dealer that delivers quality service would take pride in the wash he delivers also?

Buckdes

Getting familiar with the group...
We have ~5 Hyundai dealers in the city, but only one that does service for the new Genesis Canada model. That one is ~30km from my work or ~10km from my house. You are correct about the retired guys, I didn't think about that but I have noticed that in the past with shuttle drivers. I still work and have young kids so I don't have time to sit at a dealer, and they will use synthetic oil no matter what.

If Genesis is going to give me a free oil change with synthetic oil why would I take the car elsewhere?

Not in Canada... the variances in the app are really irritating when it comes to people on this site giving advice lol

Good to hear. I know like others on here have mentioned, it really comes down to the dealer and I do think that we are lucky here in Edmonton with you and Jenn anyway. My hesitation isn't with you guys as much as just the idea of letting someone else pick up my car from work to take for service as I am not used to that. My previous BMW's always had free service but the valet thing will be new. I know Jenn has already told me to just call her when it is time for the service. (y)
I agree we have some good folks here in Edmonton, that being said i will still most likely bring the car in myself whenever possible. Even just a freak accident or fender bender i would still feel differently if someone smashed my car up even if it was an accident.

canucklehead604

Hasn't posted much yet...
Don’t you think a dealer that delivers quality service would take pride in the wash he delivers also?
^ that's not the problem. i'm sure they mean well and are intending to deliver quality service, but the standard of care a dealer applies for the routine free service washes will differ from what a discerning individual owner considers as 'quality'. i.e. a two-bucket method using fresh wash water and mitts for each vehicle, working in a conscientious wash pattern over the paint finish, ending with the wheels. this just isn't in the cards for the vast majority of dealers out there since most owners do not expect this level of attention to detail.

note that i am approaching this from the perspective of an owner with high standards for car care, which i am. and we are on an enthusiast forum so i suspect many folks here have high standards as well. for those owners who do not care about (or notice) marring or other blemishes caused by dealer lot washes, then there is no issue. a clean,shiny car that looks great from 10' will satisfy 90% of owners so majority wins.

the difference in approaches is why some 10+ year old vehicles appear as new, compared to run-of-the-mill family haulers that only ever see wash machines, or perhaps free dealer washes, with resulting poor finish appearance.

R.K.

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
How would insurance work if the valet gets in an accident?

devellis

Been here awhile...
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
How would insurance work if the valet gets in an accident?

Pretty sure the dealership's coverage would take care of things. same as if a mishap occurred while the car was under their control in their shop or on their lot. But I don't know that for a fact. Good question.

Back when I was in my teens, I worked as a car mover for a very large New England dealership. I once managed to bang up an Olds F-85. It was the dealer's responsibility. I don't think insurance came into it, as they were able to give the customer a loaner and fix the car. Had any insurance been involved, though, it would have been the dealer's. I suspect the same applies for a home service driver.

edyago

Hasn't posted much yet...
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
^ that's not the problem. i'm sure they mean well and are intending to deliver quality service, but the standard of care a dealer applies for the routine free service washes will differ from what a discerning individual owner considers as 'quality'. i.e. a two-bucket method using fresh wash water and mitts for each vehicle, working in a conscientious wash pattern over the paint finish, ending with the wheels. this just isn't in the cards for the vast majority of dealers out there since most owners do not expect this level of attention to detail.

note that i am approaching this from the perspective of an owner with high standards for car care, which i am. and we are on an enthusiast forum so i suspect many folks here have high standards as well. for those owners who do not care about (or notice) marring or other blemishes caused by dealer lot washes, then there is no issue. a clean,shiny car that looks great from 10' will satisfy 90% of owners so majority wins.

the difference in approaches is why some 10+ year old vehicles appear as new, compared to run-of-the-mill family haulers that only ever see wash machines, or perhaps free dealer washes, with resulting poor finish appearance.
Exactly right.

Right now it's not bad. Swirls only visible up close and in direct sunlight. And like canuckle said, fine for 90%. Not fine for me. That's why I have my own gear and either do it myself or get it corrected somewhere.

Some of us are weird like that. =P

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.