Genesis G70 Reviews

NLJ

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
It likely has to do with the $ or it could be the social media reception. When I see people talking about the G70 on social media it’s always a yeah but it’s still a Hyundai and Hyundai makes garbage statement. That may not be reality and may just be a cheap pop shot but it is a sentiment that Genesis will have to deal with when trying to take share from the luxury market. Brand snobs and poverty people likely will not be the demographics that Genesis will target.

The funny thing is the more hate I see from BMW owners and from the social media dregs the more I’m drawn to the G70. I think as long as they keep making beautiful vehicles that perform well at a decent value that brand identity will change and you’ll see the big boys start to review more Genesis. Christ if this had a Porsche logo Car and Driver would have reviewed every trim level and color by this point.
It's also the mechanics. They're still working on or fixing KIA and Hyundai vehicles from the early days and so they perpetuate how cheaply built they are.
And Subaru gets top marks from CR even though they drive absolutely terrible and slow and their flat 4 burns oil!
Their WRX, STI, and BRZ drive better though! All others feels very generic!

PD705

Hasn't posted much yet...
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Is the turbo lag lessened with the Auto for the 2.0t engine?
I can't quite tell what is turbo lag and what is transmission lag!
Doesn't feel any less hesitant than my TL SH-AWD from a full stop!
You notice it more in the manual when doing in-gear pulls. The 8AT has more ratios to play with and shifts so quickly that it will often seamlessly grab another gear in response to a throttle application. The 6MT, meanwhile, will have a hint of lag before taking off from low RPM when pulling in-gear. As noted in the article, it's nothing like old cars - in fact, I quite like the hint of it. I appreciate when a turbocharged car actually feels/sounds that way.

NLJ

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
You notice it more in the manual when doing in-gear pulls. The 8AT has more ratios to play with and shifts so quickly that it will often seamlessly grab another gear in response to a throttle application. The 6MT, meanwhile, will have a hint of lag before taking off from low RPM when pulling in-gear. As noted in the article, it's nothing like old cars - in fact, I quite like the hint of it. I appreciate when a turbocharged car actually feels/sounds that way.
We truly don't have enough 2.0t AT reviews out there even though they will outsell the 6MT.
I offered the Straight Pipe guys but they declined!

nsyedhasan

Registered Member
Toronto
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
We truly don't have enough 2.0t AT reviews out there even though they will outsell the 6MT.
I think reviewing a car is more than just being able to get the car. I am fairly sure insurance is also an issue. Plus I prefer seeing a review after both Jakub and Yuri have had time with the car, and they usually have a week or so with it.

NLJ

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I think reviewing a car is more than just being able to get the car. I am fairly sure insurance is also an issue. Plus I prefer seeing a review after both Jakub and Yuri have had time with the car, and they usually have a week or so with it.
They already had 2 cars in the mix and a third was probably too much. And anyway I was willing to let them have it for the whole weekend if they wanted! They've already driven both 3.3t and 6MT in May so the only missing variable was the i4 AT.

PD705

Hasn't posted much yet...
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
In Canada the 2.0T is actually outsold by the 3.3T, roughly 60/40.

KusaKusa

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
If I recall, Raphael was saying that if there was even a 5 percent take rate that the manual would be doing well. That's good!

jailer

Been here awhile...
There is something really bizarre going on...and I wanted folk's thoughts on the matter.

I mean...this car is begging for head-to-head runs with the C43 AMG, S4, 2018 340i, etc, etc. It's like nobody is interested.

Since I own the car (now with a JB4)...I know what this thing can do...stock and otherwise. So I am not worried about the numbers.

Odd is all.

End of rant.
Right after the lame-azz C&D test.. I messaged the DRIVER of that car on facebook and asked.. WTF ?? He said.. "No kidding.. we were all expecting a 4.2 roughly... and we did multiple runs". I was just imagining the type of non-enthusiasts that are all over Hyundai and/or Genesis offices filling that car up with 87 before handing it over. Maybe .. maybe not , but it could of been ONE of the factors at least. C&D might put gas as well but it takes more than a tank for an engine to adjust from what I hear. ........ They DID get it right with the Stinger. That is for sure.

Slowerthanslow

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Interesting comments in here on the new 3 series. While Genesis really screwed up (I think) in not getting the G70 into market long before the new 3 series arrived, I would view the discussion here as a big positive from Genesis’s perspective. (To be clear, the G70 is not mentioned, but the new 3 series comes in for a fair bit of criticism.)

nsyedhasan

Registered Member
Toronto
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Interesting comments in here on the new 3 series. While Genesis really screwed up (I think) in not getting the G70 into market long before the new 3 series arrived, I would view the discussion here as a big positive from Genesis’s perspective. (To be clear, the G70 is not mentioned, but the new 3 series comes in for a fair bit of criticism.)
Yeah I have to agree, if the G70 as available as it was now 3-6 months ago it would have been pretty good for them. But I am still unsure how many people would actually buy it instead of the 3 series. I feel like 3 Series buyers are about the badge for the most part.

Toddasaurus

Registered Member
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
This all makes me realize just how much you get with the G70, in terms of features and options for the price. They paid over 52k to get almost the same features on their 3 series as my G70, and it's a slower car.

nsyedhasan

Registered Member
Toronto
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
This all makes me realize just how much you get with the G70, in terms of features and options for the price. They paid over 52k to get almost the same features on their 3 series as my G70, and it's a slower car.
But it is missing the logo so a lot of the German buyers, and even some of the Asian ones, will not consider it because of the badge. It will take a while for Genesis to be considered more separate from Hyundai. I told a friend that I am getting a Genesis and he said "Oh that is a Hyundai right?" and then I had to give him the explanation of it how it is different now.

Toddasaurus

Registered Member
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
But it is missing the logo so a lot of the German buyers, and even some of the Asian ones, will not consider it because of the badge. It will take a while for Genesis to be considered more separate from Hyundai. I told a friend that I am getting a Genesis and he said "Oh that is a Hyundai right?" and then I had to give him the explanation of it how it is different now.
I know the feeling. I've had a lot of people ask me about that, and now I just tell them that it's the luxury arm of Hyundai, akin to Lexus and Toyota.

Mcc

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Los Angeles
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
While Genesis really screwed up (I think) in not getting the G70 into market long before the new 3 series arrived
If you think they screwed up (certainly an oft repeated sentiment), then presumably you believe there was something they could have done better. Knowing the whole history of the dealership franchise issues and the their long ago roadmap what should they have done differently (without the benefit of hindsight or a crystal ball) and how and does the cost of doing it differently justify the change?

I know others will say that anyone could have foreseen the problems. Just wondering if anyone pointed out the franchise issues several years ago before the brand broke away from Hyundai?

KusaKusa

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
If you think they screwed up (certainly an oft repeated sentiment), then presumably you believe there was something they could have done better. Knowing the whole history of the dealership franchise issues and the their long ago roadmap what should they have done differently (without the benefit of hindsight or a crystal ball) and how and does the cost of doing it differently justify the change?

I know others will say that anyone could have foreseen the problems. Just wondering if anyone pointed out the franchise issues several years ago before the brand broke away from Hyundai?
From what I saw, there were two issues that caused the G70 release delay in the US:

Conflict with Dealerships
There seemed to be a lot of back-and-forth between Hyundai dealerships that could sell Genesis products and Genesis USA. The decision for separate brick-and-mortar Genesis dealerships led to outcry from dealerships and lawsuits too. Genesis USA should have worked out these issues a long time before a huge product launch, especially for their cheapest and most mainstream product. Genesis corporate had a robust product line-up planned since 2014-2015, so the move toward separate Genesis dealerships was inevitable and could have been started as early as back then. Or communications with dealerships could have been better to find solutions everyone could work with before outcry and lawsuits. This change directly impacted the dealership franchises, so they should be in constant communication for a change that impacts them this heavily or time to work out their feedback should be included in the project timeline. Or if they didn't have enough time to work out the dealership problems before launching the G70, then just delay the dealership change until after the G70 is released.

Regulatory Delays
The submissions for new brand dealerships and maybe selling a new brand overall in the US, separate from Hyundai, to state-level bodies ended up being one of the critical paths to selling in many states. Genesis's regulatory department should know the submissions required for any change and the worst-case lead time for approvals. If Genesis had a plan in place for the dealership decision, their regulatory department should be involved in determining the requirements for implementation and the associated lead time. Then this goes back to the first point where Genesis should know how long this dealership change will take and schedule ahead accordingly or delay the dealership change until after the G70 launch.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.