Genesis G90 2018 transmission issues.

Ann L.

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
I suggest that you contact the regional Genesis representative and set up a meeting with her/him to voice your issues.
I suggest that you contact the regional Genesis representative and set up a meeting with her/him to voice your issues.
I have open a case and have a # with Genesis Customer SErvice. They will call me within a few days. I don't know what solution they can offer?

Gene2

Been here awhile...
Glendale,AZ
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
The G90 has an ATF warmer on the back of the engine block. The function of the ATF warmer is to route the first warm/hot coolant to the transmission coolant radiator. This warms the transmission fluid so it is more efficient. They can gain access by removing the intake manifold.
The O ring used had a problem and has to be replaced with a new type O ring.
The same thing was done to mine as to Ann's. I noticed the smell of antifreeze so got mine in before any thing other than no heat from heater in to cabin

Ann L.

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
The G90 has an ATF warmer on the back of the engine block. The function of the ATF warmer is to route the first warm/hot coolant to the transmission coolant radiator. This warms the transmission fluid so it is more efficient. They can gain access by removing the intake manifold.
The same thing was done to mine as to Ann's. I noticed the smell of antifreeze so got mine in before any thing other than no heat from heater in to cabin
I smelled antifreeze from the first time I drove the car (I have had it for 10 months). I advised the first time I took it in for service but nothing came of my complaint. I guess I should have pressed it more, who knew!

vasy

Getting familiar with the group...
VA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
This is from the invoice. "Vehicle started to overheat now bad coolant odor emitting. Heater stopped heating. Verified low coolant level. Inspect for coolant leak. Residue down back of engine block. Pressure test cooling system. Leak from back of engine, unable to determine location. Remove intake manifold to gain access. Pressure test cooling system. Verified ATF warmer pipe o ring leaking coolant. Perform tsb 18 at 017 1. Replace leaking o ring at atf warmer pipe connector. Reinstall intake manifold with new gaskets. Fill cooling system with 1.5 gal coolant mix and perform bleed procedure. There are parts used and some other info but this is the core of what they did. I have no idea if any damage was done to the vehicle as I drove it about 5 mile to the dealership once the overheating light came on. Dealership says no damage.
Good thing you're leasing this car. The dealer was saying there was no obvious damage they can find now. But in theory, there could be minor damage to the engine which does not show up until a much later date due to slightly warped engine block caused by overheating during the 5 miles you drove. Anyway, glad it worked out for you for the time being. You should definitely terminate the lease at lease end and get another car.

vasy

VA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
Thanks for the explanation. I've been checking my coolant level regularly since I bought my G90, no drop in level so far. The coolant overflow reservoir has a white plastic dipstick inside but it's pretty much useless - hard to see the fluid level on the stick and you have to remove the overflow's cap to pull out the dipstick. So I permanently removed the dipstick and let it sit in my garage. I use a led flashlight to shine on the reservoir from its side to check coolant level. It's not easy this way either because you have to shine the light at a particular angle to the reservoir, but it's quicker than removing the cap and pull out the dipstick.

mistersteve

Hasn't posted much yet...
FL
To Gene2 and Ann L. RE: G90 tires, airbags, and coolant O-ring.

I agree that the Continental tires on the G90 have problems. After reading the horror stories around here I swapped out the Continentals for Michelin run flats on my 2018 G90 Ultimate. I’ve experienced a blowout on a past BMW and was very thankful they were RFT tires.

Airbags. Coincidentally, 2 weeks ago my airbag warning light came on so about 30 minutes later I pulled into the Genesis dealer. They said the computer detected an error in the air bag system and set the light on. To see if it was just a glitch they reset it and I left. The next day it went on again and I drove back to the dealer again. This time they gave me a loaner and asked to keep the car and check it. I got a call that the airbags indeed had a problem. They ordered new front side airbags and 3 days later I got my car back. So far so good.

After reading this string about coolant and the o-ring I went out in the garage with a flashlight. You are quite right about it being hard to see with a flashlight and that dipstick is a bit frustrating but usable. My coolant level (cold) read a bit above the low level mark.

Just to be on the safe side and because I have a really good dealer, 2 hours ago I took a ride over there and asked the service manager about all this O-ring stuff. The lead Genesis tech even came out and read this complete “Transmission Issues” forum string on my phone so we all knew what I was asking. The service manager found the o-ring TSB (listed on his computer for Hyundai, not Genesis). They both said they had not seen any cars down here (FL) with that problem but agreed that if that o-ring was leaking you would certainly smell coolant and there would be streaks on the bell housing. While I’m sure they were ready to go check my car on the lift then and there I decided, in lieu of smelling coolant beforehand, to wait a month and look during the appointment I had already made to update my GPS.

On the way home I bought a gallon of antifreeze. I’ll top the coolant off tomorrow morning and just check it in a couple weeks.

Gene2

Been here awhile...
Glendale,AZ
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
How about on trip to North Carolina a front bumper sensor popping loose down inside bumper and listening to the red beep for 2000 miles.
Oh and next trip coming back the plastic cover for the front radar delaminated and cruise didn't work for half the trip.
Dealership says I've had more problems with my car than all the other G90's they have sold combined.
Genesis (Hyundai) repairs the problems so it isn't covered under the lemon law unless it is always the same problem and it seems to be something different every time.
No more trips with this car, will be glad when the lease is up. 14700 miles the first year of ownership and since Oct.2018 till now I just went to 15000 miles. That's 300 miles in 5 months, and one tank of gas

Ann L.

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
I did call Customer Service and Brian (Western Area Rep) called me. Had a good conversation. He understands why I am very disappointed with service and performance. He explained about the tires having blowouts if you hit pot holes. He said issues with the air bag is because people put light weighing children in front seat and it doesn't sense the child is in the seat but the weight limits are being corrected. He is going to have Chapman in Phoenix reinspect the car to make sure there is no damage. I also told him the other dealer redid the tire rotation and oil change even though it was done 1000 miles ago. Regional Mgr. will look into that. He said I have not had enough trouble to get a new vehicle. Genesis is pushing to have separate dealerships for their brand to get out of the Hyundai dealerships. Not sure this will solve the problem if they don't have trained mechanics to work on the vehicles in a timely manner and parts replacement available in a timely manner. Also you have to have a mind set on how to deal with customers who buy high end vehicles. They expect quality and fixes in a timely manner. Seems like Genesis is still cutting their teeth on how to accomplish this. I advised there was a TSB out on this issue with the leaks, and the car was in for routine maintenance twice, but was not caught, and could have been by checking the fluid levels. He said well the TSB is for fixing after the problem is identified. I disagreed, that if it a known problem and it would simply take a check of the fluid to see if it was low, he did agree, it cold have been done, rather than the engine overheating on the freeway. Thanks for everyone's inputs, these writing have been very helpful.

mistersteve

FL
As I said, I went to the dealer yesterday about this O-ring TSB and they were unaware of it for G90's. It was only after searching that they found it listed under Hyundai TSBs.

Ann L.

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
As I said, I went to the dealer yesterday about this O-ring TSB and they were unaware of it for G90's. It was only after searching that they found it listed under Hyundai TSBs.
I have open a case and have a # with Genesis Customer SErvice. They will call me within a few days. I don't know what solution they can offer?

Ann L.

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
If any of the writers here are west of the Mississippi, the person to contact at Customer Service is Brian. This is his direct phone # 714 594 1524. Documenting the issues here is one thing, but documenting it directly to Genesis Customer Service will be a more direct route for change. Brian has access to the regional sales managers. Good luck to all of us to get these issues up front to the right people. Gene 2 - I am amazed and saddened at the issues you have had with your vehicle. Please contact Brian.

waveman

Supporting Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Alabama
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
As was noted earlier in the thread, a TSB doesn't require a manufacturer or their dealer to remedy the problem — only a recall does. It's impossible for us here to know if the O-ring issue is sufficiently prevalent to warrant a recall. However, I'd hope that Genesis would bend over backwards to satisfy their early adopters as they try to build brand recognition and loyalty, even if that means swapping a few problematic vehicles for new ones. All of the car of the year and similar awards won't do much good if that doesn't happen.

Ann L.

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
As was noted earlier in the thread, a TSB doesn't require a manufacturer or their dealer to remedy the problem — only a recall does. It's impossible for us here to know if the O-ring issue is sufficiently prevalent to warrant a recall. However, I'd hope that Genesis would bend over backwards to satisfy their early adopters as they try to build brand recognition and loyalty, even if that means swapping a few problematic vehicles for new ones. All of the car of the year and similar awards won't do much good if that doesn't happen.
I 100% agree with you. However, they had an opportunity to fix this prematurely and they did not. I don't know how much more we can knock them over the head.

Ann L.

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
I 100% agree with you, however they had the opportunity to fix it prematurely and did not. I can't hit them over the head. You would think they would be bending over backwards as their two other high end versions did not make it.

rroyce46

Calgary Canada
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
2nd request:
Is this O ring issue with both the 3.3 & 5.0 Liter versions
of the G90 ?
I know the 5.0 has this issue but what about the 3.3 Twin Turbo engine ?

vasy

VA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
I don't know if it also involves the 3.3 engine.

From Ann's experience, she smelled antifreeze since day 1 after leasing her car. Her car overheated about 8000 miles later. So at least in her case it's a slow leak of coolant.

I think we should all monitor our coolant overflow reservoir for possible coolant leak. I recently noticed a strange phenomenon in my G90's overflow reservoir. After driving the car with the engine still hot or warm, the coolant level in the reservoir is higher (normal), but when I check the coolant level the next morning, not all overflowed coolant is sucked back to the radiator. The level is lower than when it's hot but higher than before driving the car. So as days go by, the level in the overflow gradually gets higher and higher. I opened the metal radiaor cap and found the level in the radiator to be low. So I used a large syringe to transfer coolant from the overflow reservoir back to the radiator. Clearly there is a coolant-related issue in my G90 (V8). It could be a small leak in the cooling system that sucks air into the system after engine shut down. This decreases the vacuum that's needed to suck coolant from reservoir back to the radiator. This is just my guess. I've tried a different radiator cap but the same result. I'll jack up the front end of my car tomorrow and remove the belly panel to see if there is any wet spot under the air intake manifold area. I prefer to work on my car myself for whatever I can handle rather than taking it to the dealership. I've removed that belly panel once before when I changed engine oil to synthetic last year. Wasn't fun but doable.

Ann L.

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
Chapman Genesis Scottsdale Az has called me. Genesis Customer Service relayed info to them that I would like them to check the car over to make sure I have no residual damage due to driving the car while the engine was overheating. They do not have a Genesis loaner available right now but will call back and arrange a time when they have a loaner available. I told them I was in no hurry to have the check up done. At least Genesis is following through with my wishes to have a 2nd look at the car. That's positive.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.