Genesis Wing Emblem Installation Process

juhrig7

Hasn't posted much yet...
Just to add that, I did mine today and as soon as I received my emblems I went to work with the dremel followed by removing the old "H". One the "H" was removed if found that I had no need to remove the post on the trunk emblem the holes are a perfect fit. Although it still turned out excellent I would have rather not cut the post for the rear to guarantee a perfect fit. Just thought I would share.

PMCErnie

Ancient ‘steemed Member
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
Just to add that, I did mine today and as soon as I received my emblems I went to work with the dremel followed by removing the old "H". One the "H" was removed if found that I had no need to remove the post on the trunk emblem the holes are a perfect fit. Although it still turned out excellent I would have rather not cut the post for the rear to guarantee a perfect fit. Just thought I would share.

Who advised removing the posts on your rear wing emblem? You never got that advice here. This is page 19 of the thread on wing installation. Didn't you read any of this info?

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Posts only need to be cut on the hood emblem (if you choose to install it). I don't think you will find anyone on this forum saying you needed to cut posts on the trunk emblem. BTW, the hood and trunk emblems are different sizes and have different curves (the hood itself is not flat), so make sure you get the correct one if you install on the hood.

marty5marty

Been here awhile...
Koreatown, CA
There is a bigger version of the rear emblem around the market. Supposedly almost the same size as the front rear one. If anyone is interested I can post the link.

j0nblayz

Registered Member
Calgary, AB
i got the bigger rear wings on mine, mine was purely accidental. I ordered an oem black chrome rear wing to replace my current silver wings. When i went to go install it, i noticed it was bigger, not much but enough to be noticeable. To be honest, the color it self is not noticeable at all, side by side, yes but by itself i can't really tell.

marty5marty

Been here awhile...
Koreatown, CA
i got the bigger rear wings on mine, mine was purely accidental. I ordered an oem black chrome rear wing to replace my current silver wings. When i went to go install it, i noticed it was bigger, not much but enough to be noticeable. To be honest, the color it self is not noticeable at all, side by side, yes but by itself i can't really tell.

How do you like it? can you post some pictures of the emblem to see how different they are even though there isn't much difference? lol :p

Silver Gen

Registered Member
Los Angeles, California Crenshaw/Jefferson Park
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type

RainGate

All righty folks, finally installed the wings (front + back) + wheel caps + steering wheel sticker today. Took about 1/2 hour but reading the forums to get it going took a while :)

For those of you wondering how to remove the posts for the hood emblem, this is what I did as I didn't have the dremmel tool. I took a plier and squeezed the posts from sides and kept doing it for 4 or 5 times and it started to come off. Then I picked a tiny plier and got all the pieces out - pulled all the teeny-weeny pieces so that they wouldn't scratch the paint.

For the trunk emblem, I used floss to remove the H emblem and water + rag to remove all the goo for about 10 minutes and it came out clean.

For the wheel caps, I followed this trick: Wiped the H cap with alcohol + picked up a 3 inch Duct tape and applied around the H cap (made a little handle in the center) and used a plier to pull it off. I just used only one piece of Duct tape for all the four wheels, which I thought is not possible but it worked - maybe, cleaning the caps with alcohol helped. That easy :)

ATA

Registered Member
I installed my wheel caps by using a strip of plastic (cut from clear acetate notebook folder) about 2 1/2 wide X the length needed to fill around the existing cap. As there is about 1/64 of clearance between the OEM cap and the wheel hub, it makes for a nice tool to align the new winged cap. Just push the plastic "tool" into the space, then remove the backing form the new cap and push onto the OEM cap, using the tool to align perfectly.....press and hold a bit...worked fine.

creason16

Houston
RainGate, I just bought a 2013 3.8 sedan with no packages and it has these wheels with the H cap. Do you know if your method of removal would also work for me? I'd prefer not to drill into the cap like some others have done. Also, if you have the same wheels would you mind linking which wheel caps you bought?

mtrot

Registered Member
East Texas
Genesis Model Type
Well, I just succeeded in removing the H emblem from the trunk, but it left quite a bit of thick adhesive in about half the area of the old emblem. I worked on it with my thumbnail for quite some time and was able to get some of it off, but it amounted to only a fraction of the remaining adhesive.

Also, on the areas where most of the adhesive is gone, I tried both WD-40 and Goo Gone, but it seems to be having little effect on the adhesive.

Any recommendations on removing the remaining thick adhesive faster than with my thumbnail? And what should I try next to fully remove the remaining thin areas of adhesive that the SD-40 and Goo Gone are not softening? Thanks!

rockymax

Registered Member
There is a product that I have used for years to remove adhesive residue, "Goo Gone". I used it when I installed my wings and it worked quickly.

creason16

Houston
Mrtrot, I used my thumbs to push/roll the residual adhesive up against itself in a kind of "snowball" effect. The more you get clumped up, the easier it is to accumulate. After I got the thick adhesive off I made a solution of vinegar spray to get the leftover thin residue stuck closely to the paint. I did about 80% water and 20% vinegar in a spray bottle and wiped the area with a cloth and that worked beautifully. I actually ended up wiping down the chrome parts of the car and the plastic over the headlights too. You may need to put a little bit of elbow grease into wiping the headlights for that nasty clear bug gut staining.

Looking to update and upgrade your Genesis luxury sport automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

mtrot

Registered Member
East Texas
Genesis Model Type
Well, I just succeeded in removing the H emblem from the trunk, but it left quite a bit of thick adhesive in about half the area of the old emblem. I worked on it with my thumbnail for quite some time and was able to get some of it off, but it amounted to only a fraction of the remaining adhesive.

Also, on the areas where most of the adhesive is gone, I tried both WD-40 and Goo Gone, but it seems to be having little effect on the adhesive.

Any recommendations on removing the remaining thick adhesive faster than with my thumbnail? And what should I try next to fully remove the remaining thin areas of adhesive that the SD-40 and Goo Gone are not softening? Thanks!

Update:

Since no amount of rubbing with my thumb would remove the residual thick adhesive, and no amount of Goo Gone, WD-40, or fingernail polish remover would remove the thinner residue in other areas with traces of the adhesive, I took the car to a local body shop where I have had work done in the past. As it turns out, the way they remove emblem adhesive is by using an "eraser" tool that they put into a power drill. The guy showed it to me, and it does feel like a big, one inch round eraser. It only took him about a minute or two to just rub the stuff right off. Then he applied some liquid which easily removed the remaining faint adhesive. The best part is that he didn't even charge me for it. I did tell him I was going to bring the car back to do a bit of touch up work that it needs, so maybe that is why he didn't charge me anything. Anyway, I applied the new wing emblem and it looks fabulous!:D

Genesis HNL

Registered Member
Re changing out the Hyundai badge on the trunk for a Genesis badge: I'm not a do-it-yourselfer, and as well, it seems like many have posted here about difficulties removing adhesive residue, etc. So, I would like to know, from any of you who had the change done by the dealership or by an independent autobody shop, what it cost for parts and labor. And did anyone buy the badge (as offered in the ad appearing on this website) for $25 and then take it somewhere to have the replacement job done professionally - what did that cost? Is the resulting appearance perfect, or less than perfect?