• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

How do people shop for and buy a G70 2.0T Sport?

egwhite44

Sounds like a range of responses, as probably should be expected. Good to hear, at least, that the paddles are actually usable for a manual-lite driving experience, if desired!

I am fortunate that my usual daily commutes are short and don’t hit the highway, so I am not often driving in rush-hour traffic. So for me the manual pros (engagement) may still outweigh the cons (pain in traffic).

i just picked up a 6mt G70 last month and its been great. Definitely try both cars but imo paddles are no replacement for shifting gears yourself.

SleepyElls

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Good to hear the experiences of so many G70 6MT folks. And no one (so far) is expressing any regret or remorse for not going for the 3.3T, so that’s a good sign!

SeekingGen

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Good to hear the experiences of so many G70 6MT folks. And no one (so far) is expressing any regret or remorse for not going for the 3.3T, so that’s a good sign!
You don't know what you don't have . . ..I drove a 2.0 and truly would have liked/enjoyed/ been fine with it. I purchased a 3.3 and love/love/love it. Am so glad I went for the 3.3; and, that said, if I had the 2.0 I am sure I would have been very happy and completely oblivious to missing anything. :)

canucklehead604

one of the few 6MTs...
West Coast Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Every car in my life has been a manual...probably about 15 cars.

My very first AT was my 2013 A4. Missed rowing for about 2 weeks...never looked back.

I’ll never own a MT again. These AT’s are so brilliantly quick...I’m sold.
^ manuals stopped making sense from an acceleration/fuel economy standpoint quite a while ago, but's that's not exactly breaking news. still, there's no substitutions to rowing the gears...even if the AT's are passing by. let 'em!

besides, i gotta keep on point with family relations...my 70 year old mother still drives a manual (new Miata), and so does my wife's 3 sisters and my bro-in-laws. my wife also drove only manuals until her most recent vehicle. we're doing our part to Save The Manuals!

Beefer

I’m faster
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
^ manuals stopped making sense from an acceleration/fuel economy standpoint quite a while ago, but's that's not exactly breaking news. still, there's no substitutions to rowing the gears...even if the AT's are passing by. let 'em!

besides, i gotta keep on point with family relations...my 70 year old mother still drives a manual (new Miata), and so does my wife's 3 sisters and my bro-in-laws. my wife also drove only manuals until her most recent vehicle. we're doing our part to Save The Manuals!
Actually...I was looking for a manual. I had to buy a car within days...and the A4 was the car I liked...although it was an AT. No other MT that I liked. So I bit the bullet.

GenesisYEG

Been here awhile...
Edmonton, Alberta
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I primarily drive the 3.3T Sport AWD but I do quite enjoy the 2.0T Sport RWD. Although the shifts could be a little more crisp, the engine could have a bit less rev hang, and the car itself could use another 50 HP or a 3.3T, the car is quite fun to drive. It has a light front end, has great turn in, and RWD is RWD!

sparkddd

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
I watched a lot of reviews saying manual isn't that great on this car. I've always wondered, if it's just reviewers being reviewers or it is actually kinda bad.

SleepyElls

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
You don't know what you don't have . . ..I drove a 2.0 and truly would have liked/enjoyed/ been fine with it. I purchased a 3.3 and love/love/love it. Am so glad I went for the 3.3; and, that said, if I had the 2.0 I am sure I would have been very happy and completely oblivious to missing anything. :)
Sounds like my best shot at happiness is never trying a 3.3. :)

SleepyElls

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Man, it sounds like your wedding vows must have been #savethemanuals!

canucklehead604

one of the few 6MTs...
West Coast Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I watched a lot of reviews saying manual isn't that great on this car. I've always wondered, if it's just reviewers being reviewers or it is actually kinda bad.
^ drive it for yourself and make up your own mind. if you like it then it doesn't matter what reviewers think of it. what makes a good clutch or shift action is personal preference. some people hate what others like.

Throat Yogurt

6MT Mafia
SUPPORTING MEMBER
I'm right here.
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70

broervudu

Registered Member
SF Bay Area
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Nice to hear from the G70 6MT crowd, and from an ex-G35 6MT owner to boot!

I’m in the SF Bay Area (South Bay), and it looks like there might be one 2.0T Sport currently farther away in the East Bay. I hope it is still there when my schedule clears up enough to get over there.

My wife looks strangely at me and asks why I am so hung up on a manual. My daughter, who is about to learn how to drive....
As you, I looked for a manual G70, the take up rate for manuals is anemic and will dead altogether in the near future from the looks of things. I personally think it would have been awesome to find one in the color I wanted, I bet that in 15 years a G70 manual is going to be unique car to have.

I can offer some direct advice because we are in the same general area. There used to be 4 manuals (3 black, 1 dark blue) within 275+ miles of the SF Bay Area. A quick search now shows 3, (2 black, 1 Casablanca White). One at Genesis of Dublin (they are all d-bags there) one at Genesis of Concord and the White one at Genesis of Richmond (newer dealer slower to get established so I didn't visit at the time a bought a few months ago). There used to be a dark blue at Stevens Creek but you missed the boat on that one.

I test drove two manuals (black, dark blue) and two 3.3 Sports (mallorca , SI) before making my purchase.
If there was a manual in the color I liked, I wold have gotten one. Like you I have a daughter about to drive and for some odd reason she really wanted to learn stick, which happened to start my quest for a new 2019 manual (timing worked well) and why the Genesis G70 got on my radar in the first place.

Manual feel: I drove an Renesis RX-8 from 2003-2016 and you can't really compare the linear power of the rotary engine to the punchy feeling of the turbo G70. I'm not saying this as a negative, it's different and if you like super smooth shifts then perhaps some retraining on the G70 may be required. RX-8's have amazing short-throws straight from the factory, the G70 is average here but if that is your thing then a short shifter mod would help.

3.3 G70 (paddle shifters): I don't get the discussion regarding paddle shifters, they are gimmicky at best in my opinion. I don't bother contributing to discussion/debate about the pro/cons of the paddle shifters. If you were so interested in shifting you should have gotten a manual in the first place is my opinion.

3.3 Sport as a whole:
If you can deal the stiffer price tag of the 3.3 Sport, well then I can tell you I've really enjoyed all the amenities (dark chrome, sunroof, awesome interior (diamond stitch), smart cruise control, HUD, etc). Although the manual is what brought me to the G70, I can say I've had no reservations with my eventual choice, especially with the larger powered engine in comparison to the 2.0...

Here's how to search the Genesis Website for the manual:

Find a Vehicle – New Inventory | Genesis USA

Once you have your search criteria (Zip) corrected - Filter by RWD and 2.0. Now in the top right hand side filter again by Low to High. All the manuals will show up at the $39k mark... viola.

Last edited:

SleepyElls

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
`
As you, I looked for a manual G70, the take up rate for manuals is anemic and will dead altogether in the near future from the looks of things. I personally think it would have been awesome to find one in the color I wanted, I bet that in 15 years a G70 manual is going to be unique car to have.

I can offer some direct advice because we are in the same general area. There used to be 4 manuals (3 black, 1 dark blue) within 275+ miles of the SF Bay Area. A quick search now shows 3, (2 black, 1 Casablanca White). One at Genesis of Dublin (they are all d-bags there) one at Genesis of Concord and the White one at Genesis of Richmond (newer dealer slower to get established so I didn't visit at the time a bought a few months ago). There used to be a dark blue at Stevens Creek but you missed the boat on that one.

I test drove two manuals (black, dark blue) and two 3.3 Sports (mallorca , SI) before making my purchase.
If there was a manual in the color I liked, I wold have gotten one. Like you I have a daughter about to drive and for some odd reason she really wanted to learn stick, which happened to start my quest for a new 2019 manual (timing worked well) and why the Genesis G70 got on my radar in the first place.
Hah. My daughter says that she wants to learn stick as well, but we'll see. She's actually in college, but has never even wanted to drive up until now. Spoiled by Uber/Lyft, I think. Kids these days...

I just sent out pings using TrueCar, but no one who responded has a manual yet. "Unfortunately we do not have a G70 Sport in manual transmission. I also had my manager check the system for nearby dealers and we are not showing any within 500 miles. Would you consider an automatic instead?"

Thanks for the advice, very helpful. I guess I need to just find the nearest dealer with a 6MT and test drive that and a 3.3 Sport. We'll see which tradeoff works better, 2.0 manual or 3.3 automatic. (Also slotting a used 340i in-between there, which would have manual and a bigger engine than the 2.0 but less than the 3.3.) Besides the bigger engine, it would have been nice if Genesis had made more of the tech and luxury goodies available on the manual as well. But I guess it's supposed to be more of a purist car.

Can you say where you wound up getting the car? I'm guessing it's not Genesis of Dublin...

Last edited:

egwhite44

Manual feel: I drove an Renesis RX-8 from 2003-2016 and you can't really compare the linear power of the rotary engine to the punchy feeling of the turbo G70. I'm not saying this as a negative, it's different and if you like super smooth shifts then perhaps some retraining on the G70 may be required. RX-8's have amazing short-throws straight from the factory, the G70 is average here but if that is your thing then a short shifter mod would help.

3.3 G70 (paddle shifters): I don't get the discussion regarding paddle shifters, they are gimmicky at best in my opinion. I don't bother contributing to discussion/debate about the pro/cons of the paddle shifters. If you were so interested in shifting you should have gotten a manual in the first place is my opinion.

3.3 Sport as a whole:
If you can deal the stiffer price tag of the 3.3 Sport, well then I can tell you I've really enjoyed all the amenities (dark chrome, sunroof, awesome interior (diamond stitch), smart cruise control, HUD, etc). Although the manual is what brought me to the G70, I can say I've had no reservations with my eventual choice, especially with the larger powered engine in comparison to the 2.0...
View attachment 21306

Here's how to search the Genesis Website for the manual:

Find a Vehicle – New Inventory | Genesis USA

Once you have your search criteria (Zip) corrected - Filter by RWD and 2.0. Now in the top right hand side filter again by Low to High. All the manuals will show up at the $39k mark... viola.
What color were you looking for?

broervudu

Registered Member
SF Bay Area
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
`

Hah. My daughter says that she wants to learn stick as well, but we'll see. She's actually in college, but has never even wanted to drive up until now. Spoiled by Uber/Lyft, I think. Kids these days...

Can you say where you wound up getting the car? I'm guessing it's not Genesis of Dublin...
I purchased from (Hyundai) Genesis of Concord. I've had good dealings with them from buying and servicing.

Here's a post regarding a shifter malfunction error code and how it was taken care of:
3.3T - Shifter System Malfunction

broervudu

Registered Member
SF Bay Area
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
What color were you looking for?
I wanted Siberian Ice from the beginning. And didn't want black or dark blue in the light chrome. At a certain point I would have bought in any other color... there just wasn't any other colors to buy in manual. I couldn't give my money away!?

SleepyElls

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Well, I finally took the long (for me) trek to a dealership that had a G70 6MT to test drive, and ... I liked it! I was anticipating maybe finding it too underpowered, but I actually found the car quite drivable. It took me a moment to get used to the shifter and clutch, since all I drive is my own car, but those were also perfectly fine for me. Nothing that I would find a real problem, mostly just a bit different from the manual feel in my own car (G35). Now, I am not an aggressive driver and so didn’t try to push the car at all. If you are, then your impression may be different.

I guess I didn’t ever have an “OMG, this is amazing!” moment, but the car was nicely punchy and fun to drive. I can see myself perfectly happy driving it and not giving things another thought.

Now, I still haven’t driven a 3.3 yet. Believe it or not, the dealership only had 2.0s outside on the lot, no 3.3s of any kind. So there was not a single 3.3 available for a test drive. They also only had black, gray, and white cars, so I couldn’t see the vaunted Siberian Ice in person.

This is basically a Hyundai dealership, and I don’t get the impression that they sell much Genesis there. The salesperson I dealt with thought that their Genesis buyers basically either get the G70 2.0 or the G80.

To sum it up, I could definitely see being happy with the G70 as a daily driver. But I am still planning to drive some other cars to compare, including the 3.3.

At the risk of being thrown off this board, I guess I will say that I also test drove a manual 2016 340i today and ... I think I may have enjoyed driving that more than the G70 6MT. Nothing really articulable, but I think I liked the BMW shifter better and there’s something about the sound and pull of the engine I found more engaging.

I have read that the G70 handles better than the F30 3-series. Again, I didn’t drive the cars hard at all, and I don’t have any impression of that one way or another. Both of the cars handled well enough for my needs.

canucklehead604

one of the few 6MTs...
West Coast Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
^ glad you gave it a shot. I hope you had it in sport mode - that’s way more responsive. No question the ‘16 340i has more punch than the 2.0T. And i do prefer the 340i gearbox, however i have no issue with the G70 stick shift. I didn’t want to buy a 3 year old 340i so i passed.

Coming from a G35 and then a G37 i’d say the G70 is at least as good as the Infiniti boxes.

Every report i’ve read gives the edge to the G70 over the F30 for handling and steering feel, among other metrics. The 2.0T sport is the best handling of the bunch due to lighter weight up front.

It’s really too bad the US market gets a more stripped-down 2.0T sport version without the sport appearance or luxury items of the CAD trim.

Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums