• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

How do people shop for and buy a G70 2.0T Sport?

SleepyElls

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
^ glad you gave it a shot. I hope you had it in sport mode - that’s way more responsive. No question the ‘16 340i has more punch than the 2.0T. And i do prefer the 340i gearbox, however i have no issue with the G70 stick shift. I didn’t want to buy a 3 year old 340i so i passed.

Coming from a G35 and then a G37 i’d say the G70 is at least as good as the Infiniti boxes.
Yes, I made sure to put the G70 in sport mode, and the car was quite fine in terms of responsiveness. I know what you mean about the G35 gearbox; I wouldn’t claim that to be an advantage over the G70 at all. The G70 gearbox worked just fine for me.

I may not want to buy a three-year old 340i either. There’s a big difference between one or two (if CPO) years left of warranty on a BMW and a 5/60K basic, 10/100K powertrain warranty on a Genesis. There are also a couple of 2018 340i listings, so I may look at those. But those would still be used BMWs, with the reputed BMW maintenance costs (no free maintenance for resale). Who knows how hard they have been driven, as well.

Last edited:

nezro

Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
On the 6MT, what is the rev hang like or is there any? Tested the Veloster N recently and thought it was great whereas the Civic Si had such bad rev hang it was undrivable.

JB08

G70 2.0 Sport
Oakville, ON
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
On the 6MT, what is the rev hang like or is there any? Tested the Veloster N recently and thought it was great whereas the Civic Si had such bad rev hang it was undrivable.
I'm still in the break in period, so I'm trying not to go over 4K RPM, but I don't recall any in the test car I drove. Pretty sure I would have noticed. My son drove the tester as well, he has a WRX, and again he didn't notice it either or he would have called it out.

Gnarlly

Registered Member
Maryland
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I've owned my 2.0T Sport G70 for a couple weeks now and completed the engine break-in period. I test drove the 3.3T version first which I thought was a rocket but noticeably heavy in feel. The 2.0T RWD Sport felt so much lighter on its feet that I was willing to give up the extra power (and a sunroof and spare tire) for a more fun car with 6MT. My other car is a '99 Miata, and I really wanted a lighter 4-door sports sedan (two small kids) also with a manual transmission. My only initial issues with the 2.0T G70 were an engine stumble on acceleration and the gas pedal input/sensitivity lag/delay, both of which I read about in reviews but I have now addressed:

1. This car really needs premium, higher-octane gas. Yes, it can take regular 87 octane but I have noticed a significant improvement in engine response, smoothness, and gas mileage after using 93 octane for several tanks. It really smooths out any hesitation/stumble and my mileage has improved by several MPG (from about 21 MPG to 25 MPG average - both city and highway driving combined). Yes, it is more expensive but with the increased MPG really not that much more expensive when you do the math.

2. I purchased and installed the BMS Pedal Tuner. This simple (less than 5 minutes) and easily-reversible mod greatly improved the pedal sensitivity and response. Before I was not really happy with the car's throttle response and sometimes had difficulty smoothly shifting because of it. Now that issue is resolved with the pedal tuner and this car is much more fun (and easier) to shift and drive. Before I couldn't even properly blip the throttle quickly to downshift, but now upshifts and downshifts are how they should be. I contemplated getting the JB4 tune but with the pedal tuner and in Sport mode I am more than happy with the car's performance.

So yes, out of the box the 6MT has some issues which have been mentioned in various reviews I have read and watched. But with better gas and an adjustment to the throttle response, this car really comes to life.

SleepyElls

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
As the OP, I thought I’d provide an update to close out my part of this thread.

I was really interested in the 2.0T Sport because of the manual, but was having trouble finding one to test drive. Finally drove one, liked it, but just wanted a bit more power. Test drove a 3.3T and liked the extra power, but couldn’t bring myself to give up the manual.

So I looked at other options and finally went over to the Dark Side. Yesterday, I picked up my new(er) ride, a 2016 6MT M3 (F80). It’s basically around the same range as a new 3.3T price-wise and in options, and it seems to meet all my requirements: manual, fun to drive, gobs of power, nice cockpit. The downside is that it’s a three-year-old BMW, with older BMW maintenance costs compounded by crazy M3 parts costs. Can you say $1500 to replace the battery?

I guess the way I looked at it was that this is likely to be my last MT car. Manuals seem to be going the way of the dodo, so this is probably it. So if this was going to be my last MT, I wanted it to be an M3.

Now I’ll ride off trying to evade tomatoes and brickbats.

Last edited:

egwhite44

As the OP, I thought I’d provide an update to close out my part of this thread.

I was really interested in the 2.0T Sport because of the manual, but was having trouble finding one to test drive. Finally drove one, liked it, but just wanted a bit more power. Test drove a 3.0T and liked the extra power, but couldn’t bring myself to give up the manual.

So I looked at other options and finally went over to the Dark Side. Yesterday, I picked up my new(er) ride, a 2016 6MT M3 (F80). It’s basically around the same range as a new 3.3T price-wise and in options, and it seems to meet all my requirements: manual, fun to drive, gobs of power, nice cockpit. The downside is that it’s a three-year-old BMW, with older BMW maintenance costs compounded by crazy M3 parts costs. Can you say $1500 to replace the battery?

I guess the way I looked at it was that this is likely to be my last MT car. Manuals seem to be going the way of the dodo, so this is probably it. So if this was going to be my last MT, I wanted it to be an M3.

Now I’ll ride off trying to evade tomatoes and brickbats.
What makes the battery replacement more expensive than a typical car? Is it the battery itself?

Throat Yogurt

6MT Mafia
SUPPORTING MEMBER
I'm right here.
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Last edited:

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
^Haha. Yeah, the F80 is sweet! I wanted one really badly before buying the G70. It's a sweet looking car, and I bet it's a blast to drive!

Post some pics, if you don't mind! Otherwise enjoy it!!

SleepyElls

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
^Haha. Yeah, the F80 is sweet! I wanted one really badly before buying the G70. It's a sweet looking car, and I bet it's a blast to drive!

Post some pics, if you don't mind! Otherwise enjoy it!!
Thanks! I’m terrible with photos, but here are a couple of mine along with some much better ones from the dealer. Silverstone with full black leather interior.

52E14A24-7962-45C7-B078-473BB99DD467.jpeg76111D4B-09D3-44C5-86FF-72AEA8AF8015.jpeg361441CC-0F14-4DC2-B19C-098BCB5DAABB.jpegDC805A61-DFFD-444B-9F5F-D4511344E4F1.jpeg955C81DB-6413-46DE-B719-16F2CDB3A466.jpeg

SleepyElls

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
^Now you've got me thinking about lightweight batteries....perhaps we could find an "upgrade" for the G70 - though I'm not too worried about it at this point. Maybe if my battery dies in a few years.

Teller2

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
What a gorgeous car! As another MT-hanger-on, like you I am finding that the pickings are getting slim in the sedan category and am wondering whether it's time to move on...

pulsar

SUSTAINING MEMBER
DFW
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
^Now you've got me thinking about lightweight batteries....perhaps we could find an "upgrade" for the G70 - though I'm not too worried about it at this point. Maybe if my battery dies in a few years.
I’d be cautious just yet on LiPo type batteries for the car. Not all are created equal and those type batteries are not tolerant to being over charged or over heated. Some have built in charging circuitry to help in this regard, just do your homework well if you switch to that type of battery. Not to mention they are more than twice the cost of a good AGM type battery. I’ve had good luck with odyssey batteries when I had my Harley for brute starting power on a high compression engine, but there is no weight savings until you get to the exotic batteries.

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I’d be cautious just yet on LiPo type batteries for the car. Not all are created equal and those type batteries are not tolerant to being over charged or over heated. Some have built in charging circuitry to help in this regard, just do your homework well if you switch to that type of battery. Not to mention they are more than twice the cost of a good AGM type battery. I’ve had good luck with odyssey batteries when I had my Harley for brute starting power on a high compression engine, but there is no weight savings until you get to the exotic batteries.

I've used Odyssey compact batteries on a couple of my previous builds (one turbo and one NA). They've served me well, but seem to die in about 3-5 years, nevermind the smaller capacity.

Again, not concerned about it at this point, but will keep it on the back burner, I've got plenty of things on order right now to keep me busy for the next little bit.

SleepyElls

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
What a gorgeous car! As another MT-hanger-on, like you I am finding that the pickings are getting slim in the sedan category and am wondering whether it's time to move on...
Yes, still quite a few MT coupes, but not much in the way of MT sedans left. Unless I missed something, there’s not much competing with the G70 6MT in the new sports sedan market. There’s a bunch of cars in other categories, such as hatchbacks like the Golf GTI or R, WRX, and the like. Maybe a Honda Accord or VW Jetta, then there are a number of smaller cars. Going up in price range, the M6 Gran Coupe supposedly has an MT configuration. And, if you can wait, the next M3, in 2020, is supposed to still be available in an MT.

I have mixed feelings for not buying a new MT, as buying used doesn’t help encourage Genesis or anyone else to continue offering an MT. On the other hand, I am still really happy so far with the car that I wound up picking up.

canucklehead604

one of the few 6MTs...
West Coast Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
^ this has been discussed in other threads as well, but to be honest the closest 'competitor' (sort of) to the G70 6MT is the Accord 2.0T 6MT. but while it is a sedan with a 2.0T and 6MT configuration, that is where similarities end. the Accord is ~$10k cheaper (which makes it an incredible value), FWD, much larger, and does not have premium materials or finishes. also, the driving dynamics are night and day to the G70. an Acura variant like the TLX with SH-AWD & 6MT would be a better comparison but that doesn't exist.

if a guy can get past all that, the Accord is a screaming deal and can be fun. don't count on finding one sitting on a lot, though. they are almost all special order units due to the low take rate, at least locally in Vancity.

the new M3 manual will be awesome i'm sure, but is a completely different category.

i agree that opening up the search to used cars changes the landscape, but that's not really a fair fight and many folks would not consider that anyhow. i was thinking hard on a used M240i 6MT before the G70 but ultimately was not willing to risk the obvious.

wxjay

Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
I'm out shopping for a G70 right now and having a tough time on deciding on the package. I know the debate on 2.0T vs 3.3T has been done to death on the forum, so I won't bring that up again. ;). If I go with a 2.0T, I just don't know if the Sport trim is worth the extra $1000 (all appearance, right?). Also, anyone notice a ride difference between the 18" and 19" wheels on the 2.0T? Thanks.

Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums