how to fix panoramic sunroof creaking

XBOHDPuKC

Registered Member
Houston, TX
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
Hey team, sending an update and hoping maybe this helps someone else.

After 13 months of trying to resolve this issue, I'm hopeful and optimistic that I have done just that.

This has worked for me and I have been rattle free for about a month now, so ideally this was both the issue and resolution to my problem.

I always had what sounded like glass on metal, a rattle that didn't sound like a loose screw (I checked em all up top, all super tight) but more of glass tapping on something, a piece of metal.

Some days were worse than others, and when the roof was opened even a tiny bit or tilted in the back the noise was gone.

If the roof was closed and the shade drawn I could sometimes hear the rattle even over low radio volume and it drove me nuts.

I purchased the felt pads, sticky on one side, and placed them in different places throughout the sunroof area in spots I thought could be the culprit, both inside the car, on the glass, and in areas of the actual sunroof mechanisms, anywhere that didn't interfere with sliding or moving parts.

Finally, I randomly see this small rail that the glass sits on both on the left and right side and towards the front and only visible when the roof is opened and only because I looked for it.

What I ended up doing was putting one of the felt pads on this rail in the front, and on the back area of the rail, the pad went in easy, and on the front of that rail (closer to the front of the sunroof, basically windshield area) I almost couldn't even get the pad on top of the rail, under the glass.

I had to push up super hard, which corresponded with what I also would do to make the rattle noise go away and kind of how I isolated the area, and got most of the felt pad in there.

Anywho, the pic is zoomed and is the foam above the metal rail in between it and the glass. I have other pics but they are too big to add to this thread evidently.

I did this on both sides and all of my noise issues are gone completely and have not returned. Also, since this is on the inside, there is no concern of water fastness which I have also tested.

So long story short, this so far has resolved a long running issue and the real only thing that I disliked about this car (other than the back windows not rolling down all the way) and I'm stoked it worked for me, but I know other folks may have different causes of their noise issues. It isn't a super clean install by any stretch but you don't see it when it's closed anyways so I'm good with it haha.

Hoping it may work for others out there as well, and should the rattle return any time soon, I'll update yall, but getting close to about a month of no noise now!
Any chance you can post an "unzoomed" picture please? It is hard to put in the bigger context that zoomed piece.

MHT

Been here awhile...
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Any chance you can post an "unzoomed" picture please? It is hard to put in the bigger context that zoomed piece.
Most rear passenger windows do not roll down all the way.

TheHizzle

Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I have the same issue on my 21 Geni! Had it diagnosed in Lindon UT in July. I live closer to the Vegas Lithia location so wanted them to do the work once they communicated with Lindon location. Turns out Genesis USA would NOT allow the Vegas location to order any parts, or do any work until they did a diagnosis themselves. I now have to drive 2 hours for the Vegas location to look at it again, then wait who knows how long for them to order the parts. Such an inefficient process.
Do you have any updates on how it went in Vegas?

Kevint101

Registered Member
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Do you have any updates on how it went in Vegas?
After a couple months of bringing it back to the dealership, 5 visit and replace the whole sunroof on the third visit, and they just boil the rails. Let me know is South Korean flag payment on end up, ETA come here Hayden Mac, one treat. How old is she again sports Rona basically

TheHizzle

Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I have the same issue on my 21 Geni! Had it diagnosed in Lindon UT in July. I live closer to the Vegas Lithia location so wanted them to do the work once they communicated with Lindon location. Turns out Genesis USA would NOT allow the Vegas location to order any parts, or do any work until they did a diagnosis themselves. I now have to drive 2 hours for the Vegas location to look at it again, then wait who knows how long for them to order the parts. Such an inefficient process.
Hello, do you have an update on hoe it went at the Vegas location?

MHT

Been here awhile...
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

The following was what I was responding to:
So long story short, this so far has resolved a long running issue and the real only thing that I disliked about this car (other than the back windows not rolling down all the way)

So let me put it this way, much like most new cars today, the glass in the rear doors does not go all the way down into the door as the front doors glass.

Last edited:
Looking to update and upgrade your Genesis luxury sport automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

XBOHDPuKC

Registered Member
Houston, TX
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
The following was what I was responding to:
So long story short, this so far has resolved a long running issue and the real only thing that I disliked about this car (other than the back windows not rolling down all the way)

So let me put it this way, much like most new cars today, the glass in the rear doors does not go all the way down into the door as the front doors glass.
interesting... evidently i never even tried that :D

skytizen

Fantastic news. COn

Fantastic news. Congratulations. You give me hope that my local dealer will start coming around. This Forum has been a great source of news and information. It's helpful to know others have similar issues, but also that folks have been able to get Genesis to honor their commitments. Thanks for sharing your success.
What a world we live in.... manufacturer does what it is obligated to do and we 'appreciate' their gesture!

skytizen

Hey team, sending an update and hoping maybe this helps someone else.

After 13 months of trying to resolve this issue, I'm hopeful and optimistic that I have done just that.

This has worked for me and I have been rattle free for about a month now, so ideally this was both the issue and resolution to my problem.

I always had what sounded like glass on metal, a rattle that didn't sound like a loose screw (I checked em all up top, all super tight) but more of glass tapping on something, a piece of metal.

Some days were worse than others, and when the roof was opened even a tiny bit or tilted in the back the noise was gone.

If the roof was closed and the shade drawn I could sometimes hear the rattle even over low radio volume and it drove me nuts.

I purchased the felt pads, sticky on one side, and placed them in different places throughout the sunroof area in spots I thought could be the culprit, both inside the car, on the glass, and in areas of the actual sunroof mechanisms, anywhere that didn't interfere with sliding or moving parts.

Finally, I randomly see this small rail that the glass sits on both on the left and right side and towards the front and only visible when the roof is opened and only because I looked for it.

What I ended up doing was putting one of the felt pads on this rail in the front, and on the back area of the rail, the pad went in easy, and on the front of that rail (closer to the front of the sunroof, basically windshield area) I almost couldn't even get the pad on top of the rail, under the glass.

I had to push up super hard, which corresponded with what I also would do to make the rattle noise go away and kind of how I isolated the area, and got most of the felt pad in there.

Anywho, the pic is zoomed and is the foam above the metal rail in between it and the glass. I have other pics but they are too big to add to this thread evidently.

I did this on both sides and all of my noise issues are gone completely and have not returned. Also, since this is on the inside, there is no concern of water fastness which I have also tested.

So long story short, this so far has resolved a long running issue and the real only thing that I disliked about this car (other than the back windows not rolling down all the way) and I'm stoked it worked for me, but I know other folks may have different causes of their noise issues. It isn't a super clean install by any stretch but you don't see it when it's closed anyways so I'm good with it haha.

Hoping it may work for others out there as well, and should the rattle return any time soon, I'll update yall, but getting close to about a month of no noise now!
Hi, its Jan 23... any update?

bsulffridge

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I am curious. I have a 2019 G80 and the sunroof creaks. Is this caused by one of the roof pieces rubbing against the other, or is the frame loose? I haven't been able to tell. I am wondering if there is a way to put rubber gasket around the piece to isolate it from the other piece, or if this means that the frame needs to be tightened or replaced.
So I found something on a Kia Stinger forum and tried the solution, it worked. While this may not fix all noted issues I did for mine. I used the soft side of some stick on Velcro cut to size for the groove the glass feet sit in when closed.

Hope this helps some of you.