Illinois says my Genesis is a Hyundai

Mcc

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Los Angeles
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
Please go back and read my previous post showing all my documentation.
My vehicle is leased through Genesis Finance and is "registered" in SC as a Hyundai.
Sorry it was far enough back that I did not see it, So that shoots my theory.
Maybe we need to hear from more SC owners or more owners in general. Please include
Year (maybe month),
state, and
how it was financed (Hyundai, Genesis or third party)

larrymg1

Registered Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Lexington South Carolina
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Sorry it was far enough back that I did not see it, So that shoots my theory.
Maybe we need to hear from more SC owners or more owners in general. Please include
Year (maybe month),
state, and
how it was financed (Hyundai, Genesis or third party)
Again, please reread the previous posts. There are owners from FL, PA, TX, IL, GA etc. that purchased/leased through Genesis Finance USA and are registered as Hyundai's in their respective states.

Mcc

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Los Angeles
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
Again, please reread the previous posts. There are owners from FL, PA, TX, IL, GA etc. that purchased/leased through Genesis Finance USA and are registered as Hyundai's in their respective states.
There is so much off topic and incomplete info (like who was it financed by) that I cannot make any sense of it and I leave finding the answer to you.

larrymg1

Registered Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Lexington South Carolina
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
There is so much off topic and incomplete info (like who was it financed by) that I cannot make any sense of it and I leave finding the answer to you.
:censored: You are the one who posted you needed to hear from more owners. Additionally, I already indicated all those that have posted with their details.

Mcc

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Los Angeles
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
Sorry. I thought you are the one asking why. I was only trying to hep.
If you have the patience to go back and list the names of the owners from FL, PA, TX, IL, GA etc and an excerpt from their post where they said who did the financing I will track the stats and keep trying to see if there is a pattern. My problem was getting a clear idea about who did the financing and the state.
Sound like a plan?

Windchaser

Getting familiar with the group...
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Illinois
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Sorry. I thought you are the one asking why. I was only trying to hep.
If you have the patience to go back and list the names of the owners from FL, PA, TX, IL, GA etc and an excerpt from their post where they said who did the financing I will track the stats and keep trying to see if there is a pattern. My problem was getting a clear idea about who did the financing and the state.
Sound like a plan?
I purchased my car in March. I purchased it in Illinois. I financed it through Hyundai Finance (the actual paperwork lists it as Hyundai Motor Finance) while the web site lists it as Genesis Finance. The actual paperwork for the financing lists the car as a 2018 Hyundai G80. The car is registered with the state as a Hyundai. I was told that there were issues with registering the car as a Genesis with the state of Illinois. I don't know if it was the state which was responsible for it being registered as a Hyundai or if it was the dealership and Hyundai/Genesis that was responsible for it.

I do know that Illinois is often pretty screwed up so it would not surprise me if it was the state.

Mcc

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Los Angeles
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
I purchased my car in March. I purchased it in Illinois. I financed it through Hyundai Finance (the actual paperwork lists it as Hyundai Motor Finance) while the web site lists it as Genesis Finance. The actual paperwork for the financing lists the car as a 2018 Hyundai G80. The car is registered with the state as a Hyundai. I was told that there were issues with registering the car as a Genesis with the state of Illinois. I don't know if it was the state which was responsible for it being registered as a Hyundai or if it was the dealership and Hyundai/Genesis that was responsible for it.

I do know that Illinois is often pretty screwed up so it would not surprise me if it was the state.
I agree with your assessment of the state of Illinois. I’ll record these data and when we get enough I’ll post it.
Thanks for contributing

G80guy

Been here awhile...
Northeast
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
My NH Registration says:
Make: Hyundai
Model: Genesis

This is a 2018 Sport

larrymg1

Registered Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Lexington South Carolina
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Please go back and read my previous post showing all my documentation.
My vehicle is leased through Genesis Finance and is "registered" in SC as a Hyundai.
Reposting of my vehicle documentation for those that missed it. (Last edited: May 2, 2018)

Carolina Guy
2018 Genesis G80 Sport 3.3T RWD Casablanca White/Black w/Copper Stitching. Window tint, Genesis license plate frame, Rear bumper applique, Door handle pocket applique, Mudguards, Wheel locks.

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
The dealer put the wrong info down on your paperwork.
It may not be that simple. In some states, one has to get government approval and/or a license to sell a new brand. This definitely happened in Louisiana:
Genesis grounded in Louisiana

There is another theory, that surfaced about the same time the licensing flap surfaced. Genesis Motors decided to cut the number of dealers from 350 to 100 starting with 2019 model year (including the G70), but taking away a franchise from an existing auto dealer is a complicated legal matter in most states. So some are theorizing (see the article above) that Hyundai wanted to register the Genesis as a Hyundai brand so they could claim that no Genesis brand officially ever existed prior to the 2019 model year, and that it was legal therefore to restrict future number of Genesis dealers to 100, and that no franchises were being taken away because they didn't exist in the first place.

ifonline

Been here awhile...
Braselton, GA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
The inability to sell a brand doesn't open the door to falsifying legal documents, and considering there is no such beast as a "Genesis G80" model Hyundai, those documents are at a minimum not accurate. So, conspiracy theories aside, it's possible the Hyundai dealership simply screwed up.

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
The inability to sell a brand doesn't open the door to falsifying legal documents, and considering there is no such beast as a "Genesis G80" model Hyundai, those documents are at a minimum not accurate. So, conspiracy theories aside, it's possible the Hyundai dealership simply screwed up.
Did you read the entire article about Louisana (including after the advertisement)?

It has been discussed by others on this forum that it was Hyundai Finance that insisted on registering the cars as a Hyundai (for financed or leased vehicles). So even if a dealer made a mistake on a third party or cash purchase, Hyundai Finance has clearly been making the same mistake-- although there is the suspicion that it is not a mistake and that some 2017-2018 were deliberately registered as Hyundai brand by Hyundai Finance. Some members of the is forum contacted Hyundai Motor America (or Genesis Motors America), and were told it is not a mistake.

larrymg1

Registered Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Lexington South Carolina
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
The dealer put the wrong info down on your paperwork.
Partial quote from my previous post:
"I have attached the definitive documents from the lease of my 2018 G80 Sport.
Conclusion: South Carolina DMV, Jim Hudson Hyundai, and Genesis Finance say my car is a Hyundai.
My insurance company, State Farm, says it is a Genesis.
After multiple conversations with a representative of Genesis Motors, USA they definitively state that a Genesis leased or financed by Genesis Finance as a subsidiary of Hyundai Capital America will be designated a Hyundai, Model (Genesis G80). She could not speak to whether or not if the vehicle is leased or financed through 3rd party financing how they would designate the vehicle."

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
CT
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
After multiple conversations with a representative of Genesis Motors, USA they definitively state that a Genesis leased or financed by Genesis Finance as a subsidiary of Hyundai Capital America will be designated a Hyundai, Model (Genesis G80). She could not speak to whether or not if the vehicle is leased or financed through 3rd party financing how they would designate the vehicle."
Is that just for your state? Mine is financed through Genesis Finance and in CT is registered as a Genesis. Model G80

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Is that just for your state? Mine is financed through Genesis Finance and in CT is registered as a Genesis. Model G80
I wonder if it is also date dependent. It is possible that some of the later ones (2018) are Hyundai's and the 2017's could be Genesis. That is because at some point Genesis Motors realized they would have legal problems in taking away Genesis franchises from dealers who were already selling them, and they may have started taking the position that Genesis Motors never officially existed, in an effort to get past those legal issues.

Mcc

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Los Angeles
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
I wonder if it is also date dependent. It is possible that some of the later ones (2018) are Hyundai's and the 2017's could be Genesis. That is because at some point Genesis Motors realized they would have legal problems in taking away Genesis franchises from dealers who were already selling them, and they may have started taking the position that Genesis Motors never officially existed, in an effort to get past those legal issues.
Doesn’t seem to be state dependent. There are two from GA, on3 restored as Hyundai and the other Genesis.
I have been collecting the data from those that have reported it. We have 2018s that are registered both as Hyundai and Genesis. I have not found any 2017 that are registered as Genesis but that only n=2

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.