intermittent starting issues

masilva

Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
So, the random starting issue still continues. For the most part it doesn't bother me having an intermittent starting issue. I've been to the dealer twice and of course the car starts with no issues for them. And of course no codes either.
However, I think I've narrowed it down. 99% of the time it starts the first time I try in the morning. However, if I stop after a few minutes of driving, the next time I try to start the car (about 5-10 minutes later) it will have an issue. I'm curious if there is a relay that isn't working properly. Can someone help me determine which Relay(s) may be used when trying to start the car? If I can replace one or a few of them, that may be a cheap and effective solution.
Any help would be appreciated.
NJTom, whatever became of your intermittent starting issues? How did it get resolved?
I am having the same issue on 2015 3.8 Genesis ultimate AWD.
thanks

BenGenesis

Genesis Model Type
masilva, a new starter solved my problem. This is an expensive repair and Hyundai corporate was not happy about it.

Dano

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
I have a 2009 Genny V6 sedan with about 82K. Owned since 2012. Love the car.

A few months ago the problem began and I can't figure out why or what is causing it. I did a search but didn't find anything related to my issue. Maybe I missed something during the search. any help would be appreciated.

I hope to describe the issue effective:
The car sometimes doesn't start when pushing the "start/stop" button. All the dashboard lights will light up and the steering wheel will move into 'driving' position but the engine wont turn over...nothing at all. It's like the brake pedal isn't pushed in. push the button again and everything turns off. Push a third time and then the engine may start. (sometimes not - repeat procedure). Push the brake harder, hold the start/stop button longer. All of these do not seem to affect the issue.

As the few weeks go by, the problem began to be more common. and recently it is just about every time I try to start the car. The car battery was replaced about a year ago. I've changed the battery in the remote keys, tried both sets of keys, and even installed the key fob in the dash-holder before starting. The same intermittent starting issue would happen no matter what I try differently.

I wonder if a button on the brake pedal (to tell the car the brake has been engaged) is not making good contact. It appears the remote is talking to the car but the starter or brake pedal is not communicating as it should. Or is there something else I'm missing?

Has anyone had experienced the same/similar situation?

Thanks.
Yes, Hyundai Dealerships in San Diego are jerks, paid to replace Engine Control Module, then emissions air filter was replaced by a better non-dealership and I cleaned canister and one purge valve my self, Google it?
I Think mine has a fule issue? It was not easy to replace the emissions, it's under the trunk, google it? You will need a special fitting for the canister clamp. I broke mine and sealed with silicone and moved on. They want to replace everything at the dealership. I think the gas pump is intermittent. They would not confirm or deny if the pump was working correctly so they replaced the ECM for grounding issues. I think they were just looking for profit. Why not confirm the gas pump is good?. The maintenance schedule says every 30k to do a visual inspection or something. I have 129k on her. Their indicating lifetime gas pump in the gas tank according to services? It runs for say 9 days to 30 days. Sometimes I will wait only an hour, others times overnight. Crazy. They are not qualified and lie. I think I'm selling it

masilva

Genesis Model Type
Update on 2015 3.8 Genesis Sedan all wheel Drive Ultimate:
Dealer replaced the first replaced the control module; did not resplve issue. then they replaced the push button start assembly; did not resolve the issue.
I genereated a case number with Hyundai America and two engineers went and reviewed but they could not propose root cause or solution. (that sucks).
Still working with Service Manager to get this fixed. This is a beautiful machine and for it to be plagued by this issue of inttermittent no starts is crazy.
both Service Manager and I We have requested advice from Hyundai America for next steps.
lets see what happens.

Nanny

Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
I have a 2009 Genny V6 sedan with about 82K. Owned since 2012. Love the car.

A few months ago the problem began and I can't figure out why or what is causing it. I did a search but didn't find anything related to my issue. Maybe I missed something during the search. any help would be appreciated.

I hope to describe the issue effective:
The car sometimes doesn't start when pushing the "start/stop" button. All the dashboard lights will light up and the steering wheel will move into 'driving' position but the engine wont turn over...nothing at all. It's like the brake pedal isn't pushed in. push the button again and everything turns off. Push a third time and then the engine may start. (sometimes not - repeat procedure). Push the brake harder, hold the start/stop button longer. All of these do not seem to affect the issue.

As the few weeks go by, the problem began to be more common. and recently it is just about every time I try to start the car. The car battery was replaced about a year ago. I've changed the battery in the remote keys, tried both sets of keys, and even installed the key fob in the dash-holder before starting. The same intermittent starting issue would happen no matter what I try differently.

I wonder if a button on the brake pedal (to tell the car the brake has been engaged) is not making good contact. It appears the remote is talking to the car but the starter or brake pedal is not communicating as it should. Or is there something else I'm missing?

Has anyone had experienced the same/similar situation?

Thanks.
I have had the same problem !! Took my 2012 Genesis 122,000 miles to dealer three times. Last time left car there 10 days - never happened one time while there and was happening frequently before I took it to them. Basically, they said they could not duplicate the problem, but after I got it back, this problem did not happen for a year. All of a sudden, it started happening again. I found that if I put the car in neutral, it will start.

G-521078

I have had the same problem !! Took my 2012 Genesis 122,000 miles to dealer three times. Last time left car there 10 days - never happened one time while there and was happening frequently before I took it to them. Basically, they said they could not duplicate the problem, but after I got it back, this problem did not happen for a year. All of a sudden, it started happening again. I found that if I put the car in neutral, it will start.
Thanks for the tip on putting in Neutral.
I will try that next time.
Mike