Joined the Club - 3.3T w/Elite Package

AdriaticBlueG70

Registered Member
Genesis G70
I'm experiencing the same exact problem on my 2019 3.3t dynamic. A very odd coincidence, but I discovered the problem and read your post shortly after.

Would love to hear how the repair turns out. Excellent in-depth review!
That repair was done a while ago, with good results.

AdriaticBlueG70

Registered Member
Genesis G70
Well, when they fixed the chrome strip, they had to move the mirror, as part of the chrome strip lies under the mirror. They did not put the mirror back quite right. I noticed a buzzing sound when playing music around the plastic where the tweeter is in the A-Pillar. No big deal, the plastic was moving about 1mm, and I secured it with felt tape, buzzing gone. However, over rough surfaces (most of Chicago), I noticed buzzing coming from outside. The mirror is 2-3mm out of adjustment compared to the passenger side, and not as secure.

I'm going back tomorrow morning to have them fix it, though they might refuse. This is my first Hyundai/Genesis experience, and I've never had service departments be THIS bad. Toyota and Mazda were always able to put things back together correctly after one attempt. Sad thing is, Genesis of South loop is the highest rated Hyundai dealership around, so I don't know if I can get better service anywhere, unless I pay out of pocket and go to an independent shop.

AdriaticBlueG70

Registered Member
Genesis G70
Welcome aboard. Nice job on the review and the troubleshooting of some noises (like the sunroof)!
You touched on at least two issues, the sunroof noise and the brake vibration, which have been discussed at length here in a couple of threads. It sounds like you fixed your roof issue.
You'll find that many of us have had the dealer replace the rotors, but only after they turn them first, which is apparently the Genesis protocol. You may want to read about the metallic pads, since the standard ceramic ones may not be up to the task (although some people seem to be fine after the rotors were turned or replaced).
I tried to get them to do something about the rotors, but the service manager at Genesis of Glenview, Larry, flat out refused. Thankfully, the issue hasn't returned since I made a bunch of panic stops in a row from 70 MPH in an attempt to smooth out the rotors.

AdriaticBlueG70

Registered Member
Genesis G70
Did you ever figure out what that hissing was? My car does that too if the AC is on and the fan speed is set to low
More refrigerant solved the issue. The car is specced at 570 grams, plus or minus 25 grams. My car was at 550 (almost out of spec). It’s a little under 595 now, and no more noise.

AdriaticBlueG70

Registered Member
Genesis G70
ANOTHER DEFECT:

I ordered an SD card with the navigation and infotainment software update. I took out my old SD card, put the new one in, followed instructions, and 30 minutes later, had an updated system. However, the update killed Genesis Connected Services. The car no longer gets signal, and under Modem Information, the IMEID and USIM both display zeros. As usual, support says they’ve never seen anything like it, then started blaming trees, roofs, and weather for no signal, before finally opening a ticket saying “engineers” will try and take a look at it on the back end. The dealer had no idea what to do and said that like me, they would also just rely on Hyundai remote support, so there was no sense in me leaving the car with them.

AdriaticBlueG70

Registered Member
Genesis G70
4000 Mile Update:

Aside from the previously documented interior creaks and rattles, the car has otherwise been mostly good. Some observations:

• In city driving (Chicago, in my example), the engine chugs gasoline faster than a frat boy chugging beer on Spring break. I get around 12 mpg. I DO get the EPA rated 18 MPG when I drive in the suburbs, though, where there is a greater distance between lights. Highway driving is better, I get 25 MPG driving very aggressively, and over 30 just cruising in Comfort mode at 70-75 MPH. The over 30 number became possible to achieve after I used Mobil 1 Annual Protection oil. Overall, I knew what to expect fuel economy wise, so this isn't a complaint, just something for future owners to keep in mind. The car is thirsty, has a small gas tank, so you'll be at gas stations a lot.
  • The paint is REALLY soft on this car. Under artificial lights, you can see a LOT of fine micro scratches, more than I've seen in most other cars I've owned. If you can afford it, I recommend a ceramic coating, or some other form of paint protection.
  • The transmission can be weird at times, especially at low speeds. For example, when cruising at 15-25 MPH and then slowly accelerating or slowing down, the transmission has rough downshifts, or up shifts. The other day, I legit thought the person behind me rear ended me. It is very infrequent, though, and impossible to reproduce. However, I noticed the longer you're in that 15-25 MPH speed, the more likely the transmission is to rough shift.

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Genesis G70
4000 Mile Update:

• The transmission can be weird at times, especially at low speeds. For example, when cruising at 15-25 MPH and then slowly accelerating or slowing down, the transmission has rough downshifts, or up shifts. The other day, I legit thought the person behind me rear ended me. It is very infrequent, though, and impossible to reproduce. However, I noticed the longer you're in that 15-25 MPH speed, the more likely the transmission is to rough shift.

I see people talking about rough shifts both on this and the Stinger forum, but not everybody experiences it. I've never had a single rough shift, described like you (and many others) have described - THANKFULLY. I really think that this is related to a problem with some transmissions, possibly a quality control issue.

In my opinion this is not normal. The problem is, though, that some dealers are too lazy to recognize it and do what it takes to fix it, which is most likely to replace the entire tranny. I can't say I blame them, because it's a lot of work, but it's still their job to do so. Personally I think this is worth pursuing a fix with the dealer.

sting70r

Registered Member
ANOTHER DEFECT:

I ordered an SD card with the navigation and infotainment software update. I took out my old SD card, put the new one in, followed instructions, and 30 minutes later, had an updated system. However, the update killed Genesis Connected Services. The car no longer gets signal, and under Modem Information, the IMEID and USIM both display zeros. As usual, support says they’ve never seen anything like it, then started blaming trees, roofs, and weather for no signal, before finally opening a ticket saying “engineers” will try and take a look at it on the back end. The dealer had no idea what to do and said that like me, they would also just rely on Hyundai remote support, so there was no sense in me leaving the car with them.
personally, I'd consider this a feature rather than a bug. I want a mechanism to take out my connected service completely and it sounds like this SD card may be the trick. Where can I order this SD card?

AdriaticBlueG70

Registered Member
Genesis G70
personally, I'd consider this a feature rather than a bug. I want a mechanism to take out my connected service completely and it sounds like this SD card may be the trick. Where can I order this SD card?
You have to log into the Genesis portal on MnSoft’s website. Enter your VIN, and from there you will see the upgrades you’re eligible for. Then you can order the card.

KusaKusa

Registered Member
Genesis G70
4000 Mile Update:

Aside from the previously documented interior creaks and rattles, the car has otherwise been mostly good. Some observations:

• In city driving (Chicago, in my example), the engine chugs gasoline faster than a frat boy chugging beer on Spring break. I get around 12 mpg. I DO get the EPA rated 18 MPG when I drive in the suburbs, though, where there is a greater distance between lights. Highway driving is better, I get 25 MPG driving very aggressively, and over 30 just cruising in Comfort mode at 70-75 MPH. The over 30 number became possible to achieve after I used Mobil 1 Annual Protection oil. Overall, I knew what to expect fuel economy wise, so this isn't a complaint, just something for future owners to keep in mind. The car is thirsty, has a small gas tank, so you'll be at gas stations a lot.
  • The paint is REALLY soft on this car. Under artificial lights, you can see a LOT of fine micro scratches, more than I've seen in most other cars I've owned. If you can afford it, I recommend a ceramic coating, or some other form of paint protection.
I agree about the paint. I have a SHIT TON of rock chips on my front bumper in only 3 months of driving, maybe about up to 2 dozen. Some chips are pretty bad too, like the paint looks almost wrinkled a bit close to the impact area. I'm going to get a paint touch up and then PPF applied to the front.

I can consistently reproduce a hard transmission shift, in a bad way. If you're cruising at a consistent speed, slow down to an upcoming turn, then accelerate maybe 30-50% of the way through the turn, the shift will be hard and take around half a second to complete. Sport mode the severity and frequency of this, but it still sucks. I wish I could be aggressive in turns while not having to be in Sport mode. Well, manual shifting solves the issue too.

Aquineas

Been here awhile...
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Georgetown, TX
Genesis G70
I agree about the paint. I have a SHIT TON of rock chips on my front bumper in only 3 months of driving, maybe about up to 2 dozen. Some chips are pretty bad too, like the paint looks almost wrinkled a bit close to the impact area. I'm going to get a paint touch up and then PPF applied to the front.
Same thing on the DH sedans. In fact, I actually recommended on the G80 that people get a clear bra before driving off the lot. I got mine on my front at around 800 miles (soonest I could get an appointment at the time) and I already had chips when I got there :-(. I'm going to schedule it that way on my next Genesis. The front bumper of these cars look like ass in the front after a few thousand miles.

sting70r

Registered Member
I ordered an SD card with the navigation and infotainment software update. I took out my old SD card, put the new one in, followed instructions, and 30 minutes later, had an updated system. However, the update killed Genesis Connected Services. The car no longer gets signal, and under Modem Information, the IMEID and USIM both display zeros.
do you know the map version you're using? it seems the current update = G135S5IK ("Map Version NAM.12.47.44.XXX") in the mapnsoft web portal ( Genesis Mapcare | Customer Login )-- I want to know if the version available now is the same one you got that disabled connected services.

If you have a different version of the map/update, do you see that version available for download in the portal?

G-766312

do you know the map version you're using? it seems the current update = G135S5IK ("Map Version NAM.12.47.44.XXX") in the mapnsoft web portal ( Genesis Mapcare | Customer Login )-- I want to know if the version available now is the same one you got that disabled connected services.

If you have a different version of the map/update, do you see that version available for download in the portal?
This is the exact version I have.

AdriaticBlueG70

Registered Member
Genesis G70

This is exactly the version I got on my SD card, the one that broke GCS. They're still working on it, by the way. Have not heard from them since Tuesday.

Last edited:

AdriaticBlueG70

Registered Member
Genesis G70
Yet Another Defect:

The steering wheel is making a "click" sound that can be heard and felt when turning a little bit from center. After the "click" the steering wheen then "catches" something, and turns the wheels. The "click" can also be heard and felt when the engine is turned off. Normally, the steering wheel cannot be moved when the engine is off...but now there is some play, and it makes the exact same "click." I first noticed on a road trip, when making slight steering adjustment on sweepers, the wheel would make a clicking noise, and I would feel it. It feels really, really weird when taking curves, or standing at a light and then taking the turn, only to have the wheel click for the first millimeter or two of the turn.

Anyone else have this issue, even in some other car? I have never felt something like this from a steering wheel. It's going into Genesis of South Loop first thing tomorrow morning.

Mechonit

Genesis G70
Bought an Adriatic Blue G70 3.3T with Elite package on October 3rd, and took it on a 2,700 mile road trip. Price paid here in the Midwest, $44,190. Below are my impressions:

Engine, Transmission, and Brakes:

The engine is the best part of the car. In town and on the highway, Comfort mode feels quick, and I keep the car in that mode most of the time. However, on the highway, accelerating from 60 to 90 miles an hour can feel sluggish, until Sport mode is engaged. In Sport, the car has power at pretty much any speed. Accelerating from a stop in Sport mode is incredibly fun, and will throw you back in your seat. Launch control is also fun to play around with, but honestly, not that different than just taking off from a stop in Sport mode.

To my ears the engine note sounded the same with enhanced engine noise set to maximum, and off. Not sure if the setting does anything. I will say, the engine sounds nice under acceleration. Not nearly as good as the BMW straight 6...but better than any 4 cylinder out there.

The transmission is good, and mostly invisible (which is a good thing). I wish it was a little quicker on the downshifts, but honestly, that's a minor gripe. Sometimes theres some harshness when quickly shifting from reverse to drive. But it is very rare, and I can't reproduce it.

The brakes feel good, but braking sometimes causes the steering wheel to shake slightly. This comes and goes, and I think it is mostly gone now. I hear this was a real problem with the Stinger, and is affecting some G70s. Interested to hear others' experiences with the G70. If the issue comes back, and I can reliably reproduce it, I'll have the dealer fix it. This problem aside, though, the brakes are very confidence inspiring, and the best I've experienced in a car.

NVH:

Unlike the G80, this car, at least in Elite trim, does NOT have any acoustic glass, not even the windshield. However, it is pretty quiet up to 65 mph. After that, wind noise becomes quite pronounced. However, it is MUCH MUCH MUCH quieter than the 2014 Mazda 3 I am coming from.

For comparison, I was measuring 84 decibels at 65 MPH in the Mazda 3 on I-94. In the G70, I am measuring 54-58 decibels in the G70 at the same speed. It gets to 78 decibels around 85 mph.

All measurements were done with the "db" app on an iPhone Xs running iOS 13.

Technology:

The infotainment system is great, and works wonderfully. The only issue I had was that the built in SIM card did not work for a week, and then connected to a tower a week later, finally enabling me to use Genesis Connected Services. The app, however, is garbage. It is very slow, and the best thing about it is that it lets you remote start the car...when it works. Glad its free for 3 years. If the app improves, I might pay the $300/year they charge, but as it stands now, it is not worth it.

Radar cruise control works brilliantly. The best safety feature in my opinion is the lane keep assist. In the standard setting, it kind of bounces you between lanes, but steers for you, even in tight turns. However, in the "Active" setting, it keeps you between lanes perfectly. This was a great feature to have when on the 6th hour of a roadtrip, and greatly reduced fatigue levels. The downside is, of course, in this mode the steering wheel feels stiff, and it really won't let you do much unless you use a turn signal, lower the sensitivity, or turn it off.

The Defects:

The build quality is suspect. About 2000 miles in, whenever I have the "AC" button ON, there is a consistent hissing sound behind the dash, like gas moving/leaking through pipes. Almost sounds like I have snakes living behind the dash. At first the dealer said it's normal, then I got them to agree its not...since no G70 on their lot makes that noise. Next week they will do a complete system evacuation and recharge to see if it helps. If not, I will push them to do anything and everything to fix this. Not acceptable in such an expensive car.

The shiny vinyl siding on the driver's side B pillar (the driver's door) started ungluing and coming off. The dealer ordered a replacement, and will install next week.

There was a popping/tapping noise that could be heard over rough roads and speed bumps when driving at slow speeds, up to 20 miles an hour. I thought it was coming from the passenger side door or B pillar. My passenger thought it was coming from the backseat. Turns out it was the wide sunroof. I opened and closed it a few times, and the noise went away. Still, this is concerning. If it happens again, I will see if there are any screws I can tighten, and will apply grease to the rollers and other moving parts.

There is a very high frequency buzzing noise from the passenger side door. It could be the window, or the piece from which the passenger seatbelt hangs. It's mildly annoying, and I will see if greasing that part, or the window will reduce it. Any noises, even small ones, definitely make the car feel less solid than it is.
Bought an Adriatic Blue G70 3.3T with Elite package on October 3rd, and took it on a 2,700 mile road trip. Price paid here in the Midwest, $44,190. Below are my impressions:

Engine, Transmission, and Brakes:

The engine is the best part of the car. In town and on the highway, Comfort mode feels quick, and I keep the car in that mode most of the time. However, on the highway, accelerating from 60 to 90 miles an hour can feel sluggish, until Sport mode is engaged. In Sport, the car has power at pretty much any speed. Accelerating from a stop in Sport mode is incredibly fun, and will throw you back in your seat. Launch control is also fun to play around with, but honestly, not that different than just taking off from a stop in Sport mode.

To my ears the engine note sounded the same with enhanced engine noise set to maximum, and off. Not sure if the setting does anything. I will say, the engine sounds nice under acceleration. Not nearly as good as the BMW straight 6...but better than any 4 cylinder out there.

The transmission is good, and mostly invisible (which is a good thing). I wish it was a little quicker on the downshifts, but honestly, that's a minor gripe. Sometimes theres some harshness when quickly shifting from reverse to drive. But it is very rare, and I can't reproduce it.

The brakes feel good, but braking sometimes causes the steering wheel to shake slightly. This comes and goes, and I think it is mostly gone now. I hear this was a real problem with the Stinger, and is affecting some G70s. Interested to hear others' experiences with the G70. If the issue comes back, and I can reliably reproduce it, I'll have the dealer fix it. This problem aside, though, the brakes are very confidence inspiring, and the best I've experienced in a car.

NVH:

Unlike the G80, this car, at least in Elite trim, does NOT have any acoustic glass, not even the windshield. However, it is pretty quiet up to 65 mph. After that, wind noise becomes quite pronounced. However, it is MUCH MUCH MUCH quieter than the 2014 Mazda 3 I am coming from.

For comparison, I was measuring 84 decibels at 65 MPH in the Mazda 3 on I-94. In the G70, I am measuring 54-58 decibels in the G70 at the same speed. It gets to 78 decibels around 85 mph.

All measurements were done with the "db" app on an iPhone Xs running iOS 13.

Technology:

The infotainment system is great, and works wonderfully. The only issue I had was that the built in SIM card did not work for a week, and then connected to a tower a week later, finally enabling me to use Genesis Connected Services. The app, however, is garbage. It is very slow, and the best thing about it is that it lets you remote start the car...when it works. Glad its free for 3 years. If the app improves, I might pay the $300/year they charge, but as it stands now, it is not worth it.

Radar cruise control works brilliantly. The best safety feature in my opinion is the lane keep assist. In the standard setting, it kind of bounces you between lanes, but steers for you, even in tight turns. However, in the "Active" setting, it keeps you between lanes perfectly. This was a great feature to have when on the 6th hour of a roadtrip, and greatly reduced fatigue levels. The downside is, of course, in this mode the steering wheel feels stiff, and it really won't let you do much unless you use a turn signal, lower the sensitivity, or turn it off.

The Defects:

The build quality is suspect. About 2000 miles in, whenever I have the "AC" button ON, there is a consistent hissing sound behind the dash, like gas moving/leaking through pipes. Almost sounds like I have snakes living behind the dash. At first the dealer said it's normal, then I got them to agree its not...since no G70 on their lot makes that noise. Next week they will do a complete system evacuation and recharge to see if it helps. If not, I will push them to do anything and everything to fix this. Not acceptable in such an expensive car.

The shiny vinyl siding on the driver's side B pillar (the driver's door) started ungluing and coming off. The dealer ordered a replacement, and will install next week.

There was a popping/tapping noise that could be heard over rough roads and speed bumps when driving at slow speeds, up to 20 miles an hour. I thought it was coming from the passenger side door or B pillar. My passenger thought it was coming from the backseat. Turns out it was the wide sunroof. I opened and closed it a few times, and the noise went away. Still, this is concerning. If it happens again, I will see if there are any screws I can tighten, and will apply grease to the rollers and other moving parts.

There is a very high frequency buzzing noise from the passenger side door. It could be the window, or the piece from which the passenger seatbelt hangs. It's mildly annoying, and I will see if greasing that part, or the window will reduce it. Any noises, even small ones, definitely make the car feel less solid than it is.
Nice summary, thank you! It helps to a newcomer like me getting well oriented. Coincidently, the configuration, which I am planning to order is exactly like yours, word by word. Even the color appeared to be the same. However, the price as configured shows up as 46K +. I don’t see any applicable specials. By doing it online I don’t seem having an option to negotiate. Your number is attractively lower. Any word of advice?

Last edited:
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums