Leasing and modifying? Be careful...

g704get

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
why would you sink that kind of investment into a lease? if you can afford the mods, just buy the car.

i lease specifically because i want a short term relationship with the car. and then i want a new car. modding doesnt align with that.

i get tinting your windows or some ecu tuning but anything mechanical doesnt make sense on a lease.

HyperM3

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
why would you sink that kind of investment into a lease? if you can afford the mods, just buy the car.

i lease specifically because i want a short term relationship with the car. and then i want a new car. modding doesnt align with that.

i get tinting your windows or some ecu tuning but anything mechanical doesnt make sense on a lease.
To each their own. I leased a 97 M3 and ended up supercharging it during my lease. At the end of the lease I bought it out. I have modified pretty much every lease Ive ever had, not necessarily to that extent.

That being said, when I had my 07 335i, I had the "everyone got it" fuel pump failure. I knew it was an issue before I got the car so I discussed it with my service advisor. I said, I know this is an issue even on stock cars, I want to make sure Ill be covered even if I modify my car. Sure enough, when it happened, I was told that "things changed" and I had to return my car completely to stock, including the intake, in order to have the fuel pump replaced under warranty. The scariest part was they had printed out forum posts of mine on "Bimmerforums" regarding modification discussions. I told BMW to screw off after that and Ive been with Audi ever since. Needless to say, they always turn a blind eye when I bring my modified cars in for service.

I think it really depends on the manufacturer and even the dealership. Some are mod-friendly, others are not. Its always wise to find out beforehand how they are.

Last edited:

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
To each their own. I leased a 97 M3 and ended up supercharging it during my lease. At the end of the lease I bought it out. I have modified pretty much every lease Ive ever had, not necessarily to that extent.

That being said, when I had my 07 335i, I had the "everyone got it" fuel pump failure. I knew it was an issue before I got the car so I discussed it with my service advisor. I said, I know this is an issue even on stock cars, I want to make sure Ill be covered even if I modify my car. Sure enough, when it happened, I was told that "things changed" and I had to return my car completely to stock, including the intake, in order to have the fuel pump replaced under warranty. The scariest part was they had printed out forum posts of mine on "Bimmerforums" regarding modification discussions. I told BMW to screw off after that and Ive been with Audi every since. Needless to say, they always turn a blind eye when I bring my modified cars in for service.

I think it really depends on the manufacturer and even the dealership. Some are mod-friendly, others are not. Its always wise to find out beforehand how they are.

Dang. This is good to know! Thanks for sharing your experience.