Mirror Cover/Cap Replacement

Nd1017

Registered Member
Nice you got the job done, especially since you already had the side mirror caps in hand!

I like the dark color if i go that direction I'll be wrapping them instead, I'm good with plain black to match the roof.

I want too wrap the remainder of roof to match the black sunroof. It's that pesky shark fin I hear is a major pita.

If you're just wrapping it you won't have to deal with the whole wiring crap. Someone else here got their roof and shark fin wrapped without needing it removed so if you find a good shop wont need to deal with headliner clips breaking

Cgo

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Wow, so if you smash a side mirror cap and need it replaced, be prepared to have the already incompetent dealerships turn you away. Nice. More of the ultimate Genesis Experience...

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
^I'm sure my dealership would charge at least that much, but then say they can't actually do it without some special tool that they don't have, but they can order it for a certain price! Haha. 😉

dondrik10

Long Island
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Alright took a while but it was finally done. Located a shop who was confident enough to tackle this job.

This is definitely beyond DIY, even as an electrical engineering taking this on myself would've been daunting for fear of breaking something and having to buy a whole another assemble roughly 1300 quoted by dealership.

Dunfab in NJ took on this task for about 4 hours. They knew right away they would have to depin every wire to get these caps off. Genesis also red loctite some of the Phillip's head. Heating up the screws with a soldering iron did not help and the heads snapped and ended up being replaced.

Those were the major obstacles required to get the OEM caps off. Reassembly requires less effort still requires you to put all the pins back in the correct spots.

TLDR: Thanks to Dunfab motorsports. Genesis makes it a super pain in the ass to replace caps. Dealership would not take on this job
Looks great! I'm actually planning on doing the same to my -G70 and just got my CF covers. I'm actually in NY and not far from Dunnfab. Do you recall how much they charged to do the work for you?

Nd1017

Registered Member
Looks great! I'm actually planning on doing the same to my -G70 and just got my CF covers. I'm actually in NY and not far from Dunnfab. Do you recall how much they charged to do the work for you?
I think it might have been around 350 or so. Dont quite remember since it was a while ago.

Phastroh

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
My car comes tomorrow in Himalayan gray and I want these too. If they made the ultimate package available here in USA this would be not a huge issue for some.

I can’t find much of anything even in CF overlays.

Slip_Angle

Registered Member
Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Was going to post and ask if anyone had done this...then found this thread... darker caps or CF would look great on a Silver G70 but man this is crazy... :(

I guess CF wrap will still look pretty good though! Or a mirror finish like the Stingers have...

What's everyone else doing?

Last edited:

Phastroh

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I’ll just wait for covers. I had them on my previous car and they looked perfect.

I am not a big fan of wrap. I had textured wrap and replaced it as I found parts.

These mirror parts are stupid. You would think the manufacturer actually tried to install them so they could allow the average car ownThe idea is great but if your mirror breaks ever, good luck at the dealership.

Some can just afford to get it fixed I guess.

I hope that someone is making mirror, pillar and door handle covers. Door handles I likely won’t do because I love the dark chrome look.

I did request install instructions from the seller who just said they had none.

Slip_Angle

Registered Member
Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Anyone seen any covers yet? Can we get them out of Korea?

dondrik10

Long Island
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I think it might have been around 350 or so. Dont quite remember since it was a while ago.
Hey, quick question whne you had Dubfab work on this for you... Did they have any issues with the sensors and such in that was it a easy job where they just replaced the top part? I heard that sometimes the mirrors will need to be re-calibreated for the sensors...

dondrik10

Long Island
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Finally got my mirrors replaced with the carbon fiber versions. I didn't even try to do on my own but have a custom shop do it for me as the electrical work is complicated. I had Elite Motorsports in Long Island do this.
See pics attached. Came out amazing.

Attachments

• 20200408_150412.jpg
    20200408_150412.jpg
    401.7 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_20200408_193619_768.jpg
    IMG_20200408_193619_768.jpg
    620.3 KB · Views: 44

Slip_Angle

Registered Member
Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Finally got my mirrors replaced with the carbon fiber versions. I didn't even try to do on my own but have a custom shop do it for me as the electrical work is complicated. I had Elite Motorsports in Long Island do this.
See pics attached. Came out amazing.

Two thumbs up! Looks great

How do you like the wheels? I have the same

Nd1017

Registered Member
Hey, quick question whne you had Dubfab work on this for you... Did they have any issues with the sensors and such in that was it a easy job where they just replaced the top part? I heard that sometimes the mirrors will need to be re-calibreated for the sensors...
Apologies for delayed response but I had no issues with sensors or calibrations everything seems to be working properly

LindrelT

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Houston, TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Another convert here... just finished a 3 month project to do CF mirror caps! The shells came from ebay seller 'unique-shop' at $145 the pair - quality is excellent but was 8 week delivery time so plan ahead. They have a current auction on now for them.

All the previous information about what a PITA project this is are correct plus more! Unlike the Stinger and many other applications, this is not a simple snap-off/snap-on replacement cap that goes onto the front of the mirror unit. It is sandwiched between 3 other parts of the assembly. Disassembly is made difficult by the thread-locked bolts (M5-.80 x 12) mentioned before. There are 5 on each mirror that thread into a die cast main section -- I had to drill out two but got the rest. The whole thing has to be done with the mirrors off the car.

The choice to get the old shell out is de-pin the wiring plug or cut a slice in the shell. After examining the plug and how the pins fit in I chose 'cut' - the area you cut is not structural and I chose to epoxy back in the piece removed to slip the wiring in/out - see picture. When first starting this adventure I decided to work on an extra set of salvage mirrors. Parts in the mirror are $$$ at the dealer and have to be ordered -- I needed my car available. It took two months for the right salvage mirrors to be sourced because I needed them with camera and with 'dark chrome' trim for my Sport. It took hours on each to coax the things apart and back together without breaking any of the plastic tabs. Being able to work on them and then take a break for a day or two was perfect!

After putting the new ones with the swapped CF caps back on the car there is nothing to 're-program' beyond turning on ignition and putting them through a fold-in/fold-out cycle. The cameras worked fine immediately and a test drive confirmed the blind-spot was functioning on both sides. Turn signal lights in shell worked, reverse tilt-down and mirror heating all good. A night drive assured that auto-dim was still there.

Big thanks to @Nd1017 and @dondrik10 for the inspiration that these can be done!

Right-1820.jpg Left-1822.jpg Front 3_4-1823.jpg Cut-1828.jpg

KCHAPY

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Has anyone made a video or a super good guide for doing this? Dealership wont touch it

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums