• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Post purchase price details here (US $ only)

pulsar

SUSTAINING MEMBER
DFW
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
What part of California are you in? My deal was on a 2019 but very close to when the car was released. A few dealers said they wouldn't take Circle A, but I didn't encounter anyone saying no to the incentives discounts on top of Circle A. I think the trick is walking in and stating, not asking, that the price you'll walk out with is Circle A price less incentives. I found that I had the upper hand in discussions by asserting that I knew how the program works, especially when the dealer didn't exactly know the finer points themselves.
Exactly right. My salesman did not specifically know a few things, but the manager did. I told them circle A plus all allowed incentives and we are done. They could tell I was serious and within 5 minutes or so the manager had a printout for me to initial agreement with what I wanted. Not sure why sales mangers always want you to initial or sign the early paperwork you agree to the deal. Until monies exchange hands figure I could walk at anytime.

OMG70

Master Bruce!
LA/OC, California
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Exactly right. My salesman did not specifically know a few things, but the manager did. I told them circle A plus all allowed incentives and we are done. They could tell I was serious and within 5 minutes or so the manager had a printout for me to initial agreement with what I wanted. Not sure why sales mangers always want you to initial or sign the early paperwork you agree to the deal. Until monies exchange hands figure I could walk at anytime.
I'd be curious about how binding that little initial may be in some states. To be fair, another member here went to the same dealership as I and had a harder time mirroring my results despite being a serious buyer. Can't remember if he was buying a 3.3t or 2.0t though. I'm sure that has an impact on how much dealer BS you may need to wade through

corbie

I'd be curious about how binding that little initial may be in some states. To be fair, another member here went to the same dealership as I and had a harder time mirroring my results despite being a serious buyer. Can't remember if he was buying a 3.3t or 2.0t though. I'm sure that has an impact on how much dealer BS you may need to wade through
The initials in this context would not be legally binding. To form a contract the parties need to have a "meeting of the minds" which means that the parties have mutual intent to form a contract. When buying a car, this generally means signing on the "dotted line."

Dealerships ask for initials to get you to psychologically commit to the offer. This, in turn, makes it harder for you to back out of the offer later -- especially when they use it against you by saying "look, you already agreed to it." Additionally, we generally tend to make decisions first and then justify them afterwards. This is the psychological principle of consistency. You can check it out here:
(6:10). It works because this is how we, as humans, are wired.

A good way to get a feel for how this psychology thing works is to consider another powerful psychological principle of persuasion: the principle of reciprocity. According to this principle, we, as humans, are wired to return a favor. Think about it, if someone gives you something for free, you feel obligated to give something in return. A classic example is the tactic of passing out flowers on sidewalks or intersections to solicit donations. The chances of you making a donation after accepting a flower increase greatly. Accordingly, as a defense mechanism, many of us feel reluctant to accept the flower.

I went to a Hyundai dealership today to negotiate a lease of a 6-speed G70. They asked for my initials twice. First, they asked me to initial their offer. Second, they asked me to initial my counter offer.

I found it comical. However, when used against the uninitiated, it's a powerful psychological tactic of manipulation.

The G70 is my first "luxury vehicle" so I can't compare my experience to other luxury dealers. But I'm curious to know if the others play these games too. I would think that the typical luxury car buyer is more sophisticated and educated than the typical Hyundai buyer and dealers would adjust their tactics.

Finally, an unsophisticated buyer just may think that the initials indicate formation of a contract.

corbie

I went to a Hyundai dealership to negotiate a lease of a 6-speed G70. According to cargurus the car has been sitting on the lot for 7 months. It also has 103 miles. And winter is just around the corner (I'm in Chicago). Regardless, they wouldn't budge from the MSRP and would only give me the $7,500 in incentives.

I aimed for the moon and wanted 15% off the MSRP plus incentives (leading to a pretty damn sweet monthly payment of around $300 with $0 drive off). But they wouldn't even negotiate. They wanted $469/month with $1,000 down.

So what's the deal? Is the dealership waiting for a more profitable deal or is Genesis forcing sale at MSRP?

TurtleBoy

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Colorado
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!

Tkpoint22

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
I went to a Hyundai dealership to negotiate a lease of a 6-speed G70. According to cargurus the car has been sitting on the lot for 7 months. It also has 103 miles. And winter is just around the corner (I'm in Chicago). Regardless, they wouldn't budge from the MSRP and would only give me the $7,500 in incentives.

I aimed for the moon and wanted 15% off the MSRP plus incentives (leading to a pretty damn sweet monthly payment of around $300 with $0 drive off). But they wouldn't even negotiate. They wanted $469/month with $1,000 down.

So what's the deal? Is the dealership waiting for a more profitable deal or is Genesis forcing sale at MSRP?
I am having the exact same experience. I tried buying a car this summer/fall and again recently, where the car was built over a year ago. I was firm in my counter offer, but not unreasonable and left the door open to negotiate to common ground. They wouldn’t budge. But that’s not my real issue. My issue is they have been condescending, rude and deceitful and acted offended that I’d even counter their offer of MSRP less manufacturer incentives. Like I’m crazy to think a dealer would be extra motivated to sell a year old car when they have 30 2019s on their lot and 2020’s arriving every week. I must’ve skipped the chapter in Dale Carnegie’s “How to Win Friends and Influence People” where it says to treat potential customers like they’re stupid during negotiations.

It’s been an unfortunate experience. I’ve not ever had BMW or Audi sales associates treat me this way. Quite the opposite actually. They’ve treated me with respect and I always felt valued. Seriously makes me think of the Ritz vs Super 8.

It’s too bad, I have to imagine this is what Genesis was afraid of. And as beautiful as this car is, and as cool as the new GV’s might be, the dealership experience could be the brand’s downfall.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

corbie

My issue is they have been condescending, rude and deceitful and acted offended that I’d even counter their offer of MSRP less manufacturer incentives. Like I’m crazy to think a dealer would be extra motivated to sell a year old car when they have 30 2019s on their lot and 2020’s arriving every week. I must’ve skipped the chapter in Dale Carnegie’s “How to Win Friends and Influence People” where it says to treat potential customers like they’re stupid during negotiations.

It’s been an unfortunate experience. I’ve not ever had BMW or Audi sales associates treat me this way. Quite the opposite actually. They’ve treated me with respect and I always felt valued. Seriously makes me think of the Ritz vs Super 8.

It’s too bad, I have to imagine this is what Genesis was afraid of. And as beautiful as this car is, and as cool as the new GV’s might be, the dealership experience could be the brand’s downfall.
I drove the car at two dealerships. Both sales associates were uninformed about the vehicle. The first guy was at least honest about it. The second spewed out incorrect specs.

I can also describe both finance guys I dealt with as condescending and rude. One of them even deceitful. The deceitful guy even pointed to another car and said "for that monthly payment I can get you into an Elantra." lol

I'm taking a step up into the luxury sports compact class from a WRX. The 6-speed G70 would be the perfect transition. I would imagine I'm the ideal Genesis prospect. Get me into a G70 and I just may stick with the brand stepping up to the G80 and G90.

The buying experience leaves much to be desired. I'm going to give it one more shot with a different dealer if a 2019 6-speed is still available in December/January. We'll see how that goes.

mpjufl

Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Is it possible with current incentives to get underneath $470 monthly lease payment for a 3.3T G70 Prestige?

Also is it possible to receive PM's if you aren't above 15 posts (I realize you can't send them).

pulsar

SUSTAINING MEMBER
DFW
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Is it possible with current incentives to get underneath $470 monthly lease payment for a 3.3T G70 Prestige?

Also is it possible to receive PM's if you aren't above 15 posts (I realize you can't send them).
For a 2019 maybe, doubt it on a 2020. If no money down getting a payment that low might be a lofty goal but I’m no finance wizard. PM has been discussed here a number of times. Not sure there is a magic number to hit? Someone said the PM number can very based on certain factors. If you hang out some and participate you will get there though.

OMG70

Master Bruce!
LA/OC, California
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
The initials in this context would not be legally binding. To form a contract the parties need to have a "meeting of the minds" which means that the parties have mutual intent to form a contract. When buying a car, this generally means signing on the "dotted line."

Dealerships ask for initials to get you to psychologically commit to the offer. This, in turn, makes it harder for you to back out of the offer later -- especially when they use it against you by saying "look, you already agreed to it." Additionally, we generally tend to make decisions first and then justify them afterwards. This is the psychological principle of consistency. You can check it out here:
(6:10). It works because this is how we, as humans, are wired.

A good way to get a feel for how this psychology thing works is to consider another powerful psychological principle of persuasion: the principle of reciprocity. According to this principle, we, as humans, are wired to return a favor. Think about it, if someone gives you something for free, you feel obligated to give something in return. A classic example is the tactic of passing out flowers on sidewalks or intersections to solicit donations. The chances of you making a donation after accepting a flower increase greatly. Accordingly, as a defense mechanism, many of us feel reluctant to accept the flower.

I went to a Hyundai dealership today to negotiate a lease of a 6-speed G70. They asked for my initials twice. First, they asked me to initial their offer. Second, they asked me to initial my counter offer.

I found it comical. However, when used against the uninitiated, it's a powerful psychological tactic of manipulation.

The G70 is my first "luxury vehicle" so I can't compare my experience to other luxury dealers. But I'm curious to know if the others play these games too. I would think that the typical luxury car buyer is more sophisticated and educated than the typical Hyundai buyer and dealers would adjust their tactics.

Finally, an unsophisticated buyer just may think that the initials indicate formation of a contract.
Thanks for the info! Quite interesting.

To answer your question: BMW and Audi dealers both asked for us to initial our offers when I was car shopping. Probably just a generally good tactic for them. I doubt luxury car buyers (educated or not) really think much into it

Tonester

SUSTAINING MEMBER
San Francisco, CA - Bay Area
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70

It's a numbers game, don't give up. I've seen dealers stuck on MSRP and no Circle A pricing. Others will do Circle A and Genesis incentives but will not discount beyond that. I am working a deal on a 2019 3.3T now where the dealer is discounting around $1400 in addition to Circle A and Genesis incentives. Planning to pick the car up this coming weekend, just wanted to wait for the December incentives that will be announced tomorrow. Hoping my numbers will give you some perspective on what is possible.

PL718

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Tonester-

Sounds like you found a great deal. I spoke to a couple dealers and told them I was Circle A eligible (I’m hoping to get a pin, keep your fingers crossed for me😄). One never even factored it in and the other said they’d take it but not allow any incentives.

I’m rather surprised. I was under the impression Hyundai reimburses the dealer so they would still make a profit on a sale. I absolutely understand a dealer would still want to try and maximize their profits but with so many posts on here and my experience I’m just a little surprised most dealers wouldn’t take the Circle A and allow, at the very least, the current Genesis incentives.

Maybe I’m wrong and they don’t get reimbursed for Circle A? My Bother-in-Law works for Ford Corporate and I’ve always gotten the Ford A Plan. Any dealer I’ve bought from was more than happy to allow A Plan plus incentives as they locked in profit without having to deal with the back and forth. Too bad Ford/Lincoln doesn’t make anything as beautiful and practical as the G70!

OMG70

Master Bruce!
LA/OC, California
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Tonester-

Sounds like you found a great deal. I spoke to a couple dealers and told them I was Circle A eligible (I’m hoping to get a pin, keep your fingers crossed for me😄). One never even factored it in and the other said they’d take it but not allow any incentives.

I’m rather surprised. I was under the impression Hyundai reimburses the dealer so they would still make a profit on a sale. I absolutely understand a dealer would still want to try and maximize their profits but with so many posts on here and my experience I’m just a little surprised most dealers wouldn’t take the Circle A and allow, at the very least, the current Genesis incentives.

Maybe I’m wrong and they don’t get reimbursed for Circle A? My Bother-in-Law works for Ford Corporate and I’ve always gotten the Ford A Plan. Any dealer I’ve bought from was more than happy to allow A Plan plus incentives as they locked in profit without having to deal with the back and forth. Too bad Ford/Lincoln doesn’t make anything as beautiful and practical as the G70!

I believe it is written on the Circle A certificate that incentives are still applicable. I've seen it before on a HMA-linked website, but the link below sums it up. It's still up to the dealer if they want to accept Circle-A, but I figure it may be helpful to show them the rule in writing

Hyundai Circle Plan Pricing: How it Works, How it's Calculated

pulsar

SUSTAINING MEMBER
DFW
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Dealers will try to see what they can get away with. Many folks here, including myself had their dealers say stacking other discounts or incentives was not allowed. Call their bluff that it is not dis-allowed and you will walk if all eligible incentives are not applied.

PL718

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
I’m glad to have found this website to get information like this.

Now if I could just find a Circle A PIN...
:p

PL718

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Yes, I have reached out to Mr. Spec a day or so ago. Very cool of him to help board members with this!

Tonester

SUSTAINING MEMBER
San Francisco, CA - Bay Area
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Tonester-

It is my impression that Genesis dealers get a check from Genesis corporate for any incentives they process. So yeah, I don't know why they would mind allowing that. As you say, I can see them holding firm onto their side of the profit, but for the rebates and incentives it should not have an effect on their profit margin.

From everything I've read, only the Circle A cert allows stacking any and all incentives, while all other Circle plans do not allow ANY stacking. So when the lease cash, end of year bonus cash, competitive rebate, military rebate, and subsidized low money factor are in play, almost certainly Circle A beats out most if not all other plans.

Now with regard to dealer discount, most dealers either said they CANNOT apply this kind of discount per Circle A rules or they said, "This is the best price period, no further discounts". As seen posted on this board, the Circle help folks will gladly state that Circle A does indeed allow for a dealer discount. When I sent a copy of their answer to the dealer I was negotiating with, then and only then did they take the time to look into it and respond with a dealer discount.

Flying out of state with my wife tomorrow morning to pick up my G70 and road trip it 700 miles home over the weekend. Probably won't sleep tonight, can't wait!!:cheerie: I'll post my deal when I get back.

Fingers crossed for you @PL718! (y)

Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums