• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Recommended Tire Pressure

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
You're assuming I knew everyone's answer before I asked my question. I didn't assume that people would vary so wildly. This is a forum for discussion so I figured this is a good question to ask, surprisingly a few people get wacked out when asking a question like this. :rolleyes:

Also, my stating what the tire said was just informational so the more lazily inclined people didn't have to go look at their tire... plus I was just looking at the tire so I knew that number.
I am not "wacked out" about you asking the question. It is a good question, But I was sincerely wanting to know how you would believe when you get wildly different answers. Anytime you are talking about tires, motor oil, car wax and other similar subjects, you will always get wildly different answers.

The thing about the maximum tire pressure is that there are a lot of people who think it is OK to inflate to maximum tire pressure when inflating their tires. So that is why I made the comments I made about it.

kn5owa

Sustaining Member
The thing about the maximum tire pressure is that there are a lot of people who think it is OK to inflate to maximum tire pressure when inflating their tires. .
It's more macho to grossly overinflate tires - but I'm not about to say such a thing.

canuckv8u

Registered Member
Canada
So my TPMS is showing my right front tire being about 4psi lower than the other three, so I bring it into the dealer to top off with nitrogen. When I go to drive away all 4 tires have different readings and about a 6psi difference from the lowest to highest. The tech tells me I have to drive it for the TPMS to recalibrate. WRONG. I get home and it is still f'd. I watched the guy fill the tires and he used the f'n gauge on the air pump. Idiots. Even a rookie tech carries a tire guage in his pocket because the ones on the pump suck. Lesson learned. Hyundai techs are idiots. Car is only a week old. Not leaving me with a good feeling about servicing it in the future. I just used my digital guage at home and balanced the pressures correctly. SMH.

kn5owa

Sustaining Member
So my TPMS is showing my right front tire being about 4psi lower than the other three. I just used my digital guage at home and balanced the pressures correctly. SMH.
The tpms readout is a godsend - and so far - is amazingly accurate.

Digital gauges? I have two of 'em and a handful of stick gauges. Don't leave home without 'em.

Tip: Those "professionals" frequently don't tighten lug nuts either.

2011 Genesis 4.6

Been here awhile...
Jax Fl
So my TPMS is showing my right front tire being about 4psi lower than the other three, so I bring it into the dealer to top off with nitrogen. When I go to drive away all 4 tires have different readings and about a 6psi difference from the lowest to highest. The tech tells me I have to drive it for the TPMS to recalibrate. WRONG. I get home and it is still f'd. I watched the guy fill the tires and he used the f'n gauge on the air pump. Idiots. Even a rookie tech carries a tire guage in his pocket because the ones on the pump suck. Lesson learned. Hyundai techs are idiots. Car is only a week old. Not leaving me with a good feeling about servicing it in the future. I just used my digital guage at home and balanced the pressures correctly. SMH.
Find another dealership, that one will likely have problems for you unless they fire that guy

Nick R

Registered Member
I run 38 cold all the way around and have been very happy with the ride and economy. My Hankooks were wearing great at that psi (23,000 miles)...only an alignment problem sort of forced me to get the tire recall done earlier than planned. If in doubt, run what the manual/door jam says but ideal tire pressure is not a hard number but a range that is defined by a large number of factors that will vary over a range. For safety, stay at or above the cold limits (tire or car manufacturer...whichever is higher) and stay at least 10 psi below the max rating and you "should" be in the safe operation zone unless you are doing some really extreme stuff.
Re: your tire replacement......I assume you got the Michelins if you have the 3.8.....are you happy with them? How do they compare to the Hankooks? im a Hankook fan with 9K on mine.

Thanks..

G-511186

check the sticker on the drivers door frame, it will give you a manufactures tire pressure, its usually 32psi front 29-32 psi rear, engine weight on the front so its higher, however those pressures are so the tires sidewall can flex and help the suspension absorb road bumps, I personally run 40 psi for better resistance to tire flex.
Where is the sticker? I tried looking for it bit its nit there

lobsenza

Registered Member
Austin, TX
It should be on the drivers door or the pillar between the front and rear door. If it is not there, ask your dealer to put the sticker on.

jimmy buoy

Getting familiar with the group...
Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
I've run 40lbs cold on my staggered 19" Conti's ever since running at the recommended 33lbs, encountering a sharp pothole on a trip to Florida, and stuck on the side of the road with two trashed tires on the driver's side. That was almost 3yrs ago and I haven't had any unusual wear or adverse effects from deciding to overinflate at 40lbs. The ride hasn't changed much and I run about 15,000 miles/yr and I have hit a few nasty spots on the road since, but the tires survived.

That's my experience.

Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums